Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ProgDay Newbie Survival Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    There's a chain BBQ place in a plaza across the highway from the hotel called Dicky's, which I found to be pretty good and you get free ice cream. I'm sure purists will scoff at chain-store BBQ, but I liked it enough to go back for seconds. If I can walk to BBQ, I'm there.
    Thanks for the info. I am the same way re: BBQ. If I can walk, I'm there.

Hmmm....old guy in porkpie hat, Prez, or Trane.

I'll go with Trane, thanks.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    What I was wondering was where could one get some good BBQ in the area.
    right on the site!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    it was brutal last year and I still managed to have a lot of fun.

Made the vodka tonics taste better!
    Worse than 2003?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This this is my first ProgDay and I'm after some advice, I'm flying in so can't pack too much stuff for the trip so need to know:-

1) Whats essential? Sunscreen, Beach Chair, Cooler, etc
    2) Where are the best local places to pick stuff up on Friday?

I'm primarily looking for stuff that is small enough to pack to come back with me or cheap enough that I don't care if I dump once the Festivals over.

Thanks!
    I also fly. I take a chair with me and just pack it as baggage. Some years I have used a long duffle bag and some years a golf club bag. Both work and I usually throw in an umbrella as well just in case. Regarding a cooler, most of the stores in the area sell cheap Styrofoam ones for a couple of bucks, so that is what I usually do instead of trying to lug a cooler on the plane. As others have mentioned there is a Wallmart and a big grocery store within a quarter mile of the host hotel. Also the total wine store has an awesome beer selection. The Food Lion on the way to the venue also makes for a good ice, beverage, food stop. It is about 5 miles from Storybook Farm and right on the way.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It looks like I'll be able to make Sunday but not Saturday. Not sure if I should come up late Saturday (well after the bands) or early Sunday. Do folks stay over on Sunday night or leave after the bands?
    The ProgDay tradition is the pool party at the host hotel on Sunday night. Usually a lot of people hanging around there.

Steve Sly

Thanks, Steve! What's the hotel? I'm really looking forward to hearing Herd of Instinct.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

There's a chain BBQ place in a plaza across the highway from the hotel called Dicky's, which I found to be pretty good and you get free ice cream. I'm sure purists will scoff at chain-store BBQ, but I liked it enough to go back for seconds. If I can walk to BBQ, I'm there.
    Agreed, that place is pretty good. There was a barbecue joint that we used to always stop at in between the hotel and the venue that I loved, but unfortunately it was out of business last year. I had some time to kill before leaving for the airport last year and asked the guy at the hotel if there was a decent barbecue place fairly close by, and he directed me to the place you are talking about. I was a bit skeptical with it being a chain, but yea it was really good. We don’t get even mediocre barbecue up here in Michigan, so maybe a local would not be impressed, but I thought it was very good.

Steve Sly

Mr. Nogbad,

You see the old guy in the porkpie hat about 13 posts above? Look for him on the field, and you'll probably see me with him trying to be his friend. I'm from near Boston, too.

Oh yeah, do as they say and bring sun screen. There will be at least one food vendor on the premises, usually a barbeque outfit. Everyone there is very friendly, so don't be afraid to mingle.
    I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe Michael booked the same food vendor as last year. They were a Greek place, so no barbeque, but I thought the stuff they had was really good.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Thanks, Steve! What's the hotel? I'm really looking forward to hearing Herd of Instinct.
    Comfort Inn University. If you go to the ProgDay website there is information and a link. It is about a 15 minute drive from the venue, but pretty much a straight shot down 15 / 501. I agree, I think HOI are going to kick ass.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by laurainspace View Post
    right on the site!
    Sounds good! Prog and BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Agreed, that place is pretty good. There was a barbecue joint that we used to always stop at in between the hotel and the venue that I loved, but unfortunately it was out of business last year. I had some time to kill before leaving for the airport last year and asked the guy at the hotel if there was a decent barbecue place fairly close by, and he directed me to the place you are talking about. I was a bit skeptical with it being a chain, but yea it was really good. We don’t get even mediocre barbecue up here in Michigan, so maybe a local would not be impressed, but I thought it was very good.

Steve Sly
    I'm from southeast Michigan and there is some good BBQ here.

Sounds good! Prog and BBQ.
    As mentioned in my earlier post, Bon's is no longer the food vendor, so no BBQ on site.

Steve Sly

I'm from southeast Michigan and there is some good BBQ here.
    Yes, there are some good ones in the Detroit area, but over on the west side it is pretty dire. We have Big Mo's here in Kalamazoo, who a lot of people rave about, but I don't think he is even close the real BBQ you get in the south. Real BBQ takes long hours to prepare and we don't have anyone that I know of over here that does that. Most of the Ribs here are boil and grill..........just not the same.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As mentioned in my earlier post, Bon's is no longer the food vendor, so no BBQ on site.

Steve Sly
    Bon's wasn't so hot, imo.

The Greek vendor was quite good. I was very pleased with what I bought. Much better than Bon's.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Well I'm from the North of England so I melt when it get's above 70.
    Hah! You're gonna melt. If the heat won't get you, the awful humidity will. Giving props to ProgDay, but I don't understand how some can enjoy a fest that is in this type of weather.

Make sure you bring bug spray. Also, post your chigger bites when you can

I am so looking forward to your review afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Hah! You're gonna melt. If the heat won't get you, the awful humidity will. Giving props to ProgDay, but I don't understand how some can enjoy a fest that is in this type of weather.

Make sure you bring bug spray. Also, post your chigger bites when you can

I am so looking forward to your review afterwards...
    I'm 68 years old and I love Progday. Stay hydrated & have insect repellent & you're fine. Hell, adap2it (Dave Sr.) is 73 & is always good to go for the whole weekend.

Metabolic differences in everyone rather than the geographical location of your youth are more likely to be the cause of different sensitivities to very hot and very cold weather.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Then why do all Scotsmen go crimson in the sun?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Something happened.with their kilts?

Because daylight makes them fond of Fripp?

Ian, ask and ye shall receive!

Is Lew still coming to Progday every year?
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    If you mean Lou the Italian guy from Boston, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    There are 2 Lews that I know of who usually attend. I know for sure Lew Fisher will be there, and the other Lew ia there pretty much every year as well.

Steve Sly