Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: XTC and Dukes of Stratosphere

It may come as a surprise to some of you that the remasters were also remixes, at least in some cases, so you may want to keep both versions as I did. Listen to the beginning of the first track on Oranges and Lemons (Garden of Earthly Delights), and you'll hear an obvious difference between the original and the remaster. Another reason I kept the originals: the remasters are a bit bright for my tastes, like many remasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Did they even play live? I'm not up on my XTC facts but I have a lot of respect for them.
    By the way, I don't know if you knew this, but from what I remember, Nick Davis actually did the lion's share of the mixing for XTC's "Nonsuch," from what I hear. Next chance you get, you should ask him if he has any interesting stories about the lads. I'd love to know any!

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I have both, though I never bothered to A/B for sound quality differences. If you're at all a purist, the original Geffen CDs were terrible in that they placed the bonus tracks after what was the first LP side - so right smack in the middle of the CD (this was extra jarring on The Big Express in particular. The Geffen Skylarking also omitted "Mermaid Smile." I can't remember any other issues offhand, but those were pretty big reasons for me to get the 2002 reissues.
    Just want to be sure: my CDs are on Caroline/EMI and are dated 2001 - are these the right ones? My Skylarking does have Mermaid Smiles, so I am assuming so...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    It may come as a surprise to some of you that the remasters were also remixes, at least in some cases, so you may want to keep both versions as I did. Listen to the beginning of the first track on Oranges and Lemons (Garden of Earthly Delights), and you'll hear an obvious difference between the original and the remaster. Another reason I kept the originals: the remasters are a bit bright for my tastes, like many remasters.
    Ok. So, I guess I'll stick with my copies.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Just want to be sure: my CDs are on Caroline/EMI and are dated 2001 - are these the right ones? My Skylarking does have Mermaid Smiles, so I am assuming so...
    Yep, those are one and the same. Just branded as Virgin for the European release / Caroline for North America.

I loved them from the moment Drums and Wires was released!
    The decline began with Skylarking
    They jumped the shark by Oranges and Lemons

My all-time fav is English Settlement (the double LP version)... now THATS great stuff there!
    Mummer is great too
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I don't know whether XTC as a whole are prog. They went through quite a various evolution.

I really love all of it.

But Dukes of Stratosphear is definitely PSYCH, which is my favorite kind of prog.

That was the precursor to a lot of the Elephant 6 stuff, which was a major Neo-Psych movement in the 90s. And Neo-Psych is not like Neo-Prog. It's as good as, maybe better than, the originals.