Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried doing their own edit of prog rock classics

Great thread! I've done this several times. I made shorter version of Tales and an edited version of Flower Kings Stardust We Are. Maybe some others. Problem is I cannot do seamless edits from one bit to the next; lining up timing, guitar parts etc. Deleting an intro and fading in is pretty easy. As is an early fade out. I've also done some crossfading where you overlap one fadeout over and fade in.

Revealing Science was hard as there is not much atmospheric stuff which is good for fading in and out. I took out a lot of the intro to Remembering and was able to get the acoustic part to edit in pretty good. I cut down the beginning of Ancient and the ending. The only thing I did on Ritual was chop out most of the drum solo and crossfade the two pieces.

There really is a good single album in Topographic. Someone who can line up parts or add in sections from other songs could do this. Every part of each song is memorable and fairly good...they just go on way too long or repeat too many times. Cutting all of that out would be a start.

For Phish fans there are folks that make 'just jam' mixes that take out the main part of the songs and isolate the jams. Some are really well done with audience noise in between each etc.
    Last edited by zumacraig; 10-13-2019 at 11:05 PM.

here are a bunch of yes edits i've made over the years, mostly trying to remove cheesy bits and keep the prog bits, or something like that

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fI...kvPrQGjZRF95Tr

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    here are a bunch of yes edits i've made over the years, mostly trying to remove cheesy bits and keep the prog bits, or something like that

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fI...kvPrQGjZRF95Tr
    Thanks for posting! Can't wait to check these out.

I edited together homeworld and new language from the ladder to make a 20 minute piece because they were the only two songs I liked from the album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People who edit Tales From Topographic Oceans should be condemned to listen exclusively to the edited parts for all eternity in the Progressive Rock Inferno.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    People who edit Tales From Topographic Oceans should be condemned to listen exclusively to the edited parts for all eternity in the Progressive Rock Inferno.
    editing the boring or awful parts of TFTO is useless, coz you'd end up with only the silent spaces between the tracks
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Lucky Man
    Kind of only obtusely related to what I perceive op's original intent to be, I just a day or so ago found edits of Revealing and Remembering on utube which were full length but stripped of certain multitracking.

Both of these tracks take a great beating here and elsewhere, and in my mind especially all these years later unjustifiably so. Really, people? Really? Attention spans still insufficient, eh?

Anyway, be that as it may, The Remembering edit is stripped utterly of all vocalizations. An instrumental Remembering. And it is just beautiful. Very affecting. A reminder how great this band was all those years ago. Also a good way to find reasons to better appreciate the overall piece. When I next listen to the full version, and there will be a next time, I will remember how great the instrument only version is.

The Revealing edit is quite different, Jon's lead voice only, from opening chant in, with some key tracking of Steve and Rick. Only. At the very end, "and you and you and you", the remaining vocals are allowed to creep in. Notable among Steve and Rick's inclusions are the flourishes immediately following the chant, you know the ones, so well. Later some great Rick piano work from the "sunflower, seasons" section, and that great minimoog solo, isolated. It rocks harder than you think, even though we knew it did already.

I don't know who contributed these edits or how or why, but I enjoyed them very much, and they have augmented my enjoyment of the pieces considerably, though I have always loved them, and just love them that much more now. I don't know if they are related at all to the still somewhat recent Steve Wilson remixes, but they don't seem to be.

Worth checking out if you love these songs. And even if you don't you just might gain some additional insight to them.
    Last edited by Frankh; 10-15-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Back in the cassette days I cut out Greg Lake's acoustic middle section of "Take a Pebble," which I thought ruined my favorite ELP song.
    Hasn’t everyone edited that part out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I in the wrong place? Editing epic Prog tracks to make them shorter?

Blasphemy!!!

Every single second of both Tales From Topographic Oceans and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is perfect. Nothing needs editing.

In fact, I find this whole thread to be heretical.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post

Blasphemy!!!

I have made my own versions of nearly all The Flower Kings albums...to make them even longer! Added in bonus tracks and fan club songs into the album running order.

(one other change I made for Adam & Eve was to edit "Driver's Seat" into two parts, so it could open and close the album, like "I am the Sun".)

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Yes I did that last year. I have my own Tales From Topographic Oceans of about 38 min.
    "Tales from Topographic Puddles," eh?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

definitely not a 'prog rock classic' by any stretch of the imagination but i've done some edits of invention of knowledge too here, just trying to remove the samey stuff that drag down the pieces. a much more enjoyable version of the album for me!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WP...JwIFh8i3fA6hSC

I've done an good edit of The Mars Volta's "Cassandra Gemini" for my MP3 player a few years ago. Just shaved off 10 minuets of the song without really missing anything (haven't tried this yet with Yes or any of the other Prog Bands that I love).

Blasphemy!!!

Every single second of both Tales From Topographic Oceans and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is perfect. Nothing needs editing.

You are in the wrong place. You are a normal person. You don't qualify for progressive psychosis.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post

I have made my own versions of nearly all The Flower Kings albums...to make them even longer! Added in bonus tracks and fan club songs into the album running order.

(one other change I made for Adam & Eve was to edit "Driver's Seat" into two parts, so it could open and close the album, like "I am the Sun".)
    Where did you cut Driver's Seat? When it goes silent? So the track is Driver's Seat, Love Supreme etc.? I actually shortened that album. Do not like the vampire song.

Quote Originally Posted by zumacraig View Post
    Where did you cut Driver's Seat? When it goes silent? So the track is Driver's Seat, Love Supreme etc.? I actually shortened that album. Do not like the vampire song.
    yes , ended part 1 at 10:48 right where it goes silent. This is the tracklisting I made:

ADAM & EVE
    (14 songs, 1 hour, 28 minutes)

1. Mr. Hope Goes To Paris (from Fanclub 2004)
    2. Drivers Seat (Part One) (ends at 10:48)
    3. The Crown & The Cross (from Fanclub 2005)
    4. Love Supreme
    5. Cosmic Circus
    6. Babylon

7. A Vampires View
    8. Days Gone By
    9. King Of Grief (from Fanclub 2005)
    10. Starlight Man
    11. Timelines
    12. Adam & Eve
    13. The Blade of Cain
    14. Drivers Seat (Part Two)

It works really well IMO - Mr. Hope Goes to Paris is a killer short opener and along with Driver's Seat gives the album a powerful beginning. Really changes the mood of the listen. Just needed some slight editing on these extra songs so gaps between them aren't too long.

People editing TFTO by removing the whole of disc 1 will end up in hell listening exclusively to other notable edit: Neil Young - Arc.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

My man.
    The Prog Corner

Blasphemy!!!

Personally, I’m waiting for a 40-minute condensation of the entire Transatlantic catalogue.

What I really want is an instrumental mix of SB’s “At the End of the Day.” I seriously dig the music, but Neal Morse’s “Donny Osmond with post-nasal drip” voice always makes me want to bash in my own head with a cinder block.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Boceephus View Post
    Back in the cassette days I cut out Greg Lake's acoustic middle section of "Take a Pebble," which I thought ruined my favorite ELP song.

Someone did that here, and something is definetely missing

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    With all the talk a lot of people have made about how Tales From Topographic Oceans, for instance, could have been edited down to a single LP, I'm wondering if anyone's ever actually tried doing that
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/180g...ew?usp=sharing

I cut anything and everything nonsensical out of it... 45 minutes of great music
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 10-16-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

yes , ended part 1 at 10:48 right where it goes silent. This is the tracklisting I made:

ADAM & EVE
    (14 songs, 1 hour, 28 minutes)

1. Mr. Hope Goes To Paris (from Fanclub 2004)
    2. Drivers Seat (Part One) (ends at 10:48)
    3. The Crown & The Cross (from Fanclub 2005)
    4. Love Supreme
    5. Cosmic Circus
    6. Babylon

7. A Vampires View
    8. Days Gone By
    9. King Of Grief (from Fanclub 2005)
    10. Starlight Man
    11. Timelines
    12. Adam & Eve
    13. The Blade of Cain
    14. Drivers Seat (Part Two)

It works really well IMO - Mr. Hope Goes to Paris is a killer short opener and along with Driver's Seat gives the album a powerful beginning. Really changes the mood of the listen. Just needed some slight editing on these extra songs so gaps between them aren't too long.
    This is really cool! I'm gonna see how that sounds with Drivers I>Love Supreme. The intro Driver's Seat is so killer. That epic just seems buried in this album. Could've been a centerpiece for another album. Not a huge fan of Gildenhow's vox. My tracklist would go like this:

Driver's Seat I
    Love Supreme
    Cosmic Circus
    Babylon
    Starlight Man
    Timelines
    Blade of Cain
    Driver's Seat II

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post
    definitely not a 'prog rock classic' by any stretch of the imagination but i've done some edits of invention of knowledge too here, just trying to remove the samey stuff that drag down the pieces. a much more enjoyable version of the album for me!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WP...JwIFh8i3fA6hSC
    Can't wait to check this out. Really can't get through this one in a sitting. Same with Whirlwind. That could've easily been 10 minutes shorter.

I've been meaning to edit some newer Iron Maiden stuff since they no longer work with decent producers (I really miss Martin Birch). I think I'm going to do some prog editing instead. I already took out some Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Spock's Beard and Yes albums.

Thanks for a reminder. Cool thread!