Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Refugee - (Moraz and 2/3 of The Nice)

Refugee - (Moraz and 2/3 of The Nice)

Any Fans.....

Brilliant album, worst album cover ever (apart from Fireballets second).

I like the music & the album cover. It's a shame more never came of this trio.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Any Fans.....
    Yes. Bought it when it first came out. I don't listen to it much today, but I got a lot of mileage from it back in the day. Moraz could hold his own against any of the big keyboard guys from prog's heyday. In some ways, I liked Refugee more than The Nice. Too bad they only made that one album.

Love, love, love it. Jackson's voice destroys "Someday" for me, which otherwise would have been okay. But he's acceptable on the other two epics, and the instrumentals are wonderful. It's totally a blend of solo Moraz and the Nice sensibilities. For instance, in "Grand Canyon," after the nine minute mark, we get a wild, all-over the place musical tour de force, with the rhythm section admirably keeping up, followed by a more traditional Nice-like jam, with Jackson and Davison chugging away while Moraz does his version of an Emerson-like organ solo. As such, though, it's quite cool and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Moraz could hold his own against any of the big keyboard guys from prog's heyday.
    I would say that other than Emerson he was the best in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    worst album cover ever (apart from Fireballets second).
    I think you need to browse some "worst cover" lists. A simple picture of the three band members? Sorry, but his one isn't in the Top 10 Million let alone the Top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I think you need to browse some "worst cover" lists. A simple picture of the three band members?
    Donning some of the dodgiest "simple" outfits possible in regard to coming across as somewhat laughable - the "prog" effect notwithstanding. I'm sure there were even better flix from that photo shoot than this. Still, the cover is so bad that I actually enjoy it - and I would definitely not want anything other to mark the contents here.

I like the album very much; I think it's better than anything ELP managed to put together post-Brain Salad.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I think you need to browse some "worst cover" lists. A simple picture of the three band members? Sorry, but his one isn't in the Top 10 Million let alone the Top 2.
    Agree!
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

Good album. Excellent in places. They did a live session for BBC, i hope it gets released some day.

I too have always found the cover a bit odd, but love the album. One reservation- Lee Jackson's vocals deteriorated even since The Nice (where I could tolerate them most of the time). 'Someday' in particular has some spectacularly awful singing, sorry Lee! Musically though, it is very good indeed IMHO.

There's no doubt listening to this, that Patrick Moraz was destined to become a star. I think he had a jazz/fusion flavour to his playing that marked him out from the crowd, yet had all the classical influences too.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I would say that other than Emerson he was the best in that era.
    IMHO Moraz was leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else ... Refugee was stunning shame the Yes gig curtailed their career. Although Relayer
    is also my favourite Yes album :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Lee Jackson's vocals deteriorated even since The Nice
    On the opposite note, Davison never sounded as good as this neither before nor after. There are parts on the Every Which Way album that almost came close, but that's about it. And Moraz arguably gives the performance of his life, although he shines as brightly on Relayer and shows some great input on the Mainhorse disc as well.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I too have always found the cover a bit odd, but love the album. One reservation- Lee Jackson's vocals deteriorated even since The Nice (where I could tolerate them most of the time). 'Someday' in particular has some spectacularly awful singing, sorry Lee! Musically though, it is very good indeed IMHO.
    Have you ever heard the Voiceprint release "Live at Newcastle City Hall"? Jackson's voice is even worse, if you can believe it! But it is one of those "so bad it's good" things. He really belts it out and sounds completely unhinged. It suits the music well.

Jackson's voice never bothered me with The Nice or Refugee. He's not a great singer by any stretch, but I liked his singing; it always made me smile and added some levity to those albums. When I first heard ELP, I thought they were a little too "serious" by comparison, even with their silly novelty songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Donning some of the dodgiest "simple" outfits possible in regard to coming across as somewhat laughable - the "prog" effect notwithstanding. I'm sure there were even better flix from that photo shoot than this. Still, the cover is so bad that I actually enjoy it
    I see ... so it's a "fashion police" thing?

Sorry, but by 70s prog standards nothing really stands out much even in this regard. And I'd venture to say that even for those so inclined to pass judgment on the "garb" worn by 70s "rock stars" that this cover doesn't place Refugee anywhere near the "best of the worst." First of all, the "chest hair factor" is way too low for them to even have a shot at the top, and there is no "sexual" innuendo to boot. Not really any "posing," either.

Sorry, but there just isn't much to discuss about the cover. It's simple and boring, basically. I see no awards forthcoming nor even a mention on any "worst cover" lists.

I see ... so it's a "fashion police" thing?

Sorry, but by 70s prog standards nothing really stands out much even in this regard.

Sorry, but there just isn't much to discuss about the cover. It's simple and boring, basically. I see no awards forthcoming nor even a mention on any "worst cover" lists.
    It's a fashion police thing, Jeff. They're all around us, taking seriously over. But please don't feel sorry anymore. I like the album, and I've already expressed my love for Jackson's wonderful jacket.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 08-07-2013 at 06:01 PM.

I have the vinyl with 3 members autographs
    I didn't really understand why the cover is so bad
    I recently found some BBC performance of Refugee - much much better then those horrible live recording released by Voiceprint
    Papillon is one of those classic Progressive tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    It's a fashion police thing, Jeff. Tehry're all around us, taking seriously over. But please don't feel sorry anymore. I like the album, and I've already expressed my love for Jackson's wonderful jacket.
    I like the album, and couldn't care less about Jackson's jacket.

Although now that you mention it, there is kind of an Evel Knievel look about it ... arguably "cool," really.

Still confident it'll never even make a Top 10,000 list ...

Quote Originally Posted by soblivious View Post
    Refugee was stunning shame the Yes gig curtailed their career.
    The word at the time was that Refugee was going to continue with Annette Peacock replacing Moraz. Don't ask me how that would have worked. Then Brian Davison split to tour with David Essex (who was a massive pop idol in Britain at the time) and the whole thing fell apart.

Had this on LP back when it first came out. Got the CD a few years ago. Always LOVED this!!! Wish they had released more, but as someone else pointed out, Relayer is indeed one of my favorite albums. Any fans out there of "The Story of I"? Again, one of my favorites from that time. "Out in the Sun" was also very good. Other than Moody Blues, are there any other really good Moraz releases? I'd like to check those out as well......

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Had this on LP back when it first came out. Got the CD a few years ago. Always LOVED this!!! Wish they had released more, but as someone else pointed out, Relayer is indeed one of my favorite albums. Any fans out there of "The Story of I"? Again, one of my favorites from that time. "Out in the Sun" was also very good. Other than Moody Blues, are there any other really good Moraz releases? I'd like to check those out as well......
    His self-titled third album is very good. None of his later albums are "prog" but they are all good. I quite like his later piano albums too. And i do have a soft spot for his 80's techno album, Timecode.

Have you heard his first band album, "Mainhorse"?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post
    His self-titled third album is very good. None of his later albums are "prog" but they are all good. I quite like his later piano albums too. And i do have a soft spot for his 80's techno album, Timecode.

Are all his solo albums instrumental? I only have 'Story of I' which from memory had some sort of tribal chanting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Are all his solo albums instrumental? I only have 'Story of I' which from memory had some sort of tribal chanting ?
    Story of i, Out in the Sun and Time Code all have vocals. (I has the fewest, the others have only a couple of insts).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Flang View Post

I have Mainhorse on album, but it's been YEARS since I heard this....I'll have to get some more of his releases. Wish he "produced" more music these days....