Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Refugee - (Moraz and 2/3 of The Nice)

I think Jackson could be an effective singer in the right circumstances (he had a certain edge/attitude which was just right for much of The Nice's material). Just not 'Someday' on this album!

The Esoteric release looks very nice, BTW. This album has been out of print for a long time- and that BBC show looks to be a great bonus.
    Last edited by JJ88; 1 Week Ago at 05:52 AM.

^ Jackson's vocal input works wonders for "Since I Last Saw You", a breezy jazzy ballad from King Progress, the debut Jackson Heights album. I have a hard time thinking of many others who'd sing it better. Differently, perhaps - but not necessarily better.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Thing is, if he was majorly flat or out of tune, I'm sure it would grate on me, but, for whatever reason, I never even think about it. Hell, now I think about it, I saw the reformed Nice 2 or 3 times in the early 2000s and thought nothing of it. It seems blown out of all proportion to me, though I do get a good laugh out of the grimacing of others.
    Since I wrote I didn't care for his vocals, I'd like to say, to me vocals are as much of a band's music as any instrument. If there is a prog band that has an accordion player in it's ensemble and you may like the overall sound of the band but whenever the accordion plays, you skip the song. I find having a vocalist I don't care for ruins the music for me because they are part of the overall sound of the music.
    I don't quite understand how people reacting to Lee's vocals cause you to think it's overblown.

I personally don't feel I'm in a group of prog lovers who because they don't like certain vocalists in a band, as a hater. Perhaps there is an element in the prog community that do react that way, I just don't pay that much attention.People can say what they want, it's their opinion and if they don't like a vocalist that I like, that's fine. We're all different.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

Listening to The Nice & Refugee brings back only good memories for me. I wouldn't change a thing.

Now, this 3CD set includes the Newcastle performance. If memory serves me correctly, hasn't this recording been discussed on this forum in the past? And, if I am correct, the general consensus was that it was a bad performance that was poorly recorded. However, I coud very well be mistaken.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

In Germany there was a band:Tritonus,great music but the vocals are dramatically.
    It starts at 1.34 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpeT...&start_radio=1

Quote Originally Posted by rockcup View Post
    In Germany there was a band:Tritonus,great music but the vocals are dramatically.
    ...also Triumvirat and Trilogy in the bass-drums-organ style.

2nd Tritonus with vocals by Geff Harisson (2066 & Then, Kin Ping Meh) is better than their debut.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 1 Week Ago at 08:55 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

^ and Tetragon.

I never had too much time for any of these except Here It Is, the first Trilogy. The bland tendency to 'copy' was one of the least enticing traits of 70s "symphonic" rock, and West Germany was practically full of it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Spacefreak, you know this live album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYt9...WEdKku-AUJESp8