Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Recommended Sampler 1982 (25th Ann. Edition)

chalkpie

The Recommended Sampler 1982 (25th Ann. Edition)

Just got this yesterday and I have been through the entire thing twice already, and about to embark on a third.

Hot damn, this is just S-T-E-L-L-A-R. I know I am very late to the party here (what's 31 years?), but I am glad I joined. This is the way I love albums - full of diversity - a sonic smorgasbord. Although this is many different artists/bands, it works so well as an album itself. Even my 6 and 8 year olds were sorta' digging it in the car this morning. Great liner notes, info, packaging, and best of all sonics courtesy of B Drake the Audio Wizard.

Pardon my Cantonese - this is just fucking phenomenal. And a double disc (4 original LP's) for 5 quid? You've gotta me shittin' me!

Fan and lifetime member. Thanks to Mr. Cutler and all involved. This is how I like my "prog", thank you.

11/10.

ReR_Sampler_cover.jpg

http://www.rermegacorp.com/mm5/merch...&Store_Code=RM
    Last edited by chalkpie; 08-06-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Best compilation EVER

I bought this when it came out and this has served as a door to a whole new world
    Must have listened to this MILLION times
    Realize this all these tracks were only avaliable on this album
    Care to point you favorites ?
    Did you notice the Amos track ? :LOL

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Best compilation EVER

I bought this when it came out and this has served as a door to a whole new world
    Must have listened to this MILLION times
    Realize this all these tracks were only avaliable on this album
    Care to point you favorites ?
    Did you notice the Amos track ? :LOL
    you had this when it came out!? Jesus, I was 10 and still watching cartoons.

Favorites? I honestly loved all of it. Yes, I did notice and loved the Amos track! A LOT going on there, especially production-wise. That's a track that has so much in it, you can hear it 20 times and pick out new shit. I loved the background "singing" and these very sparse horn parts played softly. The groove is very oddball too - its like on the verge of almost missing a 16th note or something. Also had this great percussion section later on with something like a tabla and other neat textures. Superb.

I also loved the Homosexuals track - reminds me of the cardiacs vibe I dig so much. The Cow track Viva... is also a winner - I love how they all sing/shout together. Conventum track is also amazing. The first track I instantly loved also - never heard Vogel before. Another standout is Feliu Gasul - very classical in nature - has a Debussian quality and I also hear something like Albeniz but very original and gorgeous flute and an overall brilliant orchestration. Nice whole tone stuff in there.

I'm telling you, I love the whole thing. Not even close to a stinker in the whole lot. Yes, also amazing these were "commissioned" for this album - what a brave thing to do on Cutler's part instead of taking the easy approach.

chalkpie
    I also had no idea The Muffins got that out there - spewing about Wizard of Oz and whatever, then kicks in to a delicious groove.

Heiner Goebbels "Berlin Kudamm" - MASTERPIECE composition.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 08-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quite a few of these are close to be the top fav tracks of these artist - Universe Zero
    Art Bears Ron Pate/Raudelunas,
    and some are very different from the rest of that bands catalog - these are absolute gems that wouldn't be repeated
    Conventum Feliu Gasul Hector Zazou Pichio Dal Pozzo

chalkpie
    Dude - you're the shit. You listen to music; really dissect every possible angle from melody, harmony, rhythm, texture, form, dynamics, articulation, etc, etc. I wish more people did this, even in the music industry. I know many amazing musicians, especially music teacher colleagues that make six-figure USA salaries and don't listen to a stitch of music, yet alone come close to what is discussed at places like here and Talk Classical Forum (my other "home"; the best music discussed by some real knowledgeable bad-ass brainiacs). I find these people nice and pleasant but the irony is I really can't talk much actual music with them. Ironic me thinks.

What the hell was that tangent? Funny part is that I ordered about 15 ReR titles and I have only cracked the shrink-wrap on this album, plus I am simultaneously trying to listen to all Shostakovich symphonies and string quartets (15+15) - its way too much without doing anything else. I am also "forcing" myself not to listen to cardiacs because I'll end up doing that for a few more months. Mahler is also coming up in the fall

I think the next one I'll crack is "Bob's Drive In". Can't believe I never got this and I consider myself one of the biggest Drake fans on this site, if not numero Uno. That guy should have a statue in some European Country (France?) like Zappa does.

Also made three mixes of a bunch of stuff for my pal Sussman to inspire him for the album we are going to (hopefully) do.

I also spun In Praise of Learning twice (once yesterday and once today). Starting to appreciate that one more - its different than the rest - but so killer. The "Heart of the Beast" tune is ridiculous, on teh level of FZ, Bartok, Shost, etc.

Yeah, I bought it back in the day on vinyl on a friend's recommendation that worked out at the Record Bar in the mall. It is well worth seeking out, exposing me to a bunch of cool music.

Back when this came out I listened to this more than the individual artists' recordings. I picked up a lot of things by label - RR, Crepescule, Crammed Disc, 4AD, Ralph- these labels all had an identity and a consistency of sound and quality. Progressive music continued in the 80's and there was still much to hear and revel in...

Udi is right that this was one of the greatest compilations ever - at the time it came out it was a major, major eye-opener and revelation, especially since a good 80% of the material wasn't available elsewhere, even if you knew all these fine bands.

I sure played MY copy to death....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Frankie I'm actually jealous of you
    So much to discover here
    and actually I bought this in mid 83 so errr 30 years
    I already had plenty of Henry Cow , Robert Wyatt , Faust , but soon I was up to my neck with Art Zoyd UZ This Heat Aksak Maboul Conventum Black Sheep
    some of the stuff like PDP was very very hard to find - I searched for that one for a couple of years but a lot of the stuff was imported to Israel and the rest I would order directly from Recommended
    Art Bears , News From Babel , Linsday Cooper etc. etc.
    Those were the days !
    As I said Best Compilation album ever !

The Decibel track was also one of those "exclusive " tracks - meaning when I finally tracked down their album it paled in comparison to the track on the sampler

Best compilation EVER
    I could NOT agree more.

Faves on this: Art Bears, Henry Cow, Picchio dal Pozzo, Heiner Goebbels, Conventum, Univers Zero, Feliu Gasull (for goodness' sake check out his incredible album with Joan Albert Amargňs), The Muffins, Black Sheep and - donning one of my fave songs of all time - Stormy Six.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 08-06-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I also had no idea The Muffins got that out there - spewing about Wizard of Oz and whatever, then kicks in to a delicious groove.
    I dunno if this is even in circulation anymore (Steve?), but the featured Muffin track is an excerpt from a lengthy demo (I think?) piece entitled "Chronometers", which later resurfaced on the wonderful release by the same name (on Cuneiform of course, including a whole extra album's worth of very fine, early recordings from when Stu Abrahams was their drummer). I personally think this is almost as good as the classic Manna/Mirage record.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Yes, you can still buy Chronometers and if you buy it on the Cuneiform release, you get it not edited and put together in the wrong order!!!!!!!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess I need to buy this, huh?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guess I need to buy this, huh?
    No, it's terrible

Are there any other sampler albums someone would recommend? The other one that comes to my mind is the first Womad sampler, which I believe Peter Gabriel put together, a combination of world bands, and English bands like XTC, The English Beat, and so forth. It might sound like it would clash, but it's a nice vibe. I think it's still OOP, and never made it to CD.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_o...Arts_and_Dance

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Are there any other sampler albums someone would recommend? The other one that comes to my mind is the first Womad sampler, which I believe Peter Gabriel put together, a combination of world bands, and English bands like XTC, The English Beat, and so forth. It might sound like it would clash, but it's a nice vibe. I think it's still OOP, and never made it to CD.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_o...Arts_and_Dance
    I think you're talking about the compilation Music and Rhythm. That was a double LP with 21 tracks. Yea, I don't think it's on CD. There was a CD released called The Best of Music and Rhythm that had 13 of the tracks.

Yeah that Music & rhythm was also a fantastic release and a revelation
    also came out at the same time 82
    Mna the first time I heard the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan track my jaw dropped to the floor
    later when I went to study in the UK I was fortunate to attend WOMAD 85 and see him perform an allnight show - one of the very best experiences of my life
    another great compilation Gabriel did was Passion Sources - Highly Recommended

Just ordered it!
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

chalkpie
    Yeah that Music & rhythm was also a fantastic release and a revelation
    also came out at the same time 82
    Mna the first time I heard the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan track my jaw dropped to the floor
    later when I went to study in the UK I was fortunate to attend WOMAD 85 and see him perform an allnight show - one of the very best experiences of my life
    another great compilation Gabriel did was Passion Sources - Highly Recommended
    Where did you study in the UK? I spent a semester in fall '93 at the Birmingham Conservatory of Music (it was part of then called Univ. Central Eng. now called Birmingham City University) - best 3 months of my life. I would love to hear that Gabriel Comp. you guys are talking about.

I did the very first class of School Of Audio Engineering in London
    Between 84 - 86
    I will try to locate some stuff for you Frankie but first you need to finish you Die Trip Computer Die homework

[QUOTE=hippypants;137546]Are there any other sampler albums someone would recommend?

For me, the one which is on a par with the Recommended one is the Virgin sampler `V', released in 1975 at the peak of their early powers. Most of that was also exclusive at the time, although much of it has surfaced subsequently. Maybe if anyone ever gives the early Virgin catalogue the treatment it deserves, it'll see a re-issue. Robert Wyatt, Mike Oldfield, Tangerine Dream, Kevin Coyne, Capt. Beefheart, Henry Cow, Hatfield and the North, Steve Hillage, Clearlight...it's a wonderful listen, and an excellent snapshot of what was at the time a wonderful, fresh, innovative record label.

Does the cd edition also contain the wonderful Peter Blegvad Actual Frenzy ?
    I love that one !

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Are there any other sampler albums someone would recommend?
    As for "RIO-music" (or Zeuhl), there are several; Musea's Enneade (from 1985, I believe) contains some great songs by Paga, Xalph, Troll, Yoch'ko Seffer, Eider Stellaire, Eskaton and Shub-Niggurath. Not all of it's exclusive any longer - with the CD age most of it has been released as bonus tracks to their regular reissues. But I think a couple of the songs are still unavailable elsewhere. Musea also released another comp about the same time featuring rare pieces by obscure (yet quite wonderful) European oddballers like Post Image and Virgule 4; I can't really remember its title right now, though (haven't got it).

The MIMI samplers (from Ferdinand Richard's annual festival of avant music) count some five or six, I believe - and I've got the ones from 1987 and 1989 with lots of goodies: Fish & Roses, Art Moulu Trefin, Les Quatre Guitaristes (playing "House of Usher", absolutely awesome!), After Dinner, Ted Milton & Blurt, Iva Bittova et al. These have become sparse now and should be hard to get.

AYAA released two great samplers, Douze Pour Un volumes 1 & 2 - and these are both amazing. Numerous artists never heard of before or since (like Dis-Tanz and the extreme Des Traces, the latter fusing Swans and Magma), but also exclusive titles by such esteemed labelmates like Look de Bouk and Die Knögel.