Thread: YUKA & CHRONOSHIP

YUKA & CHRONOSHIP

any thoughts on this japanese outfit? just heard a few tracks and i stand impressed. plus, they have a logo created by roger dean!

I dig both of their albums. Just great stuff.

I wasn't really aware of them until their newest one came out, then I listened to some samples and grabbed them both. I really like the new one, Dino Rocket Oxygen (seems a silly title, but it makes sense as it refers to the three suites on the album). I haven't spun it enough to remember great details, but it is really right up my alley; rockin' but not metal, great chops in the service of interesting compositions, good dynamics, and lots of Proggy twists and turns.

The first one I'm a bit more "so-so" on. It's OK, but imo doesn't have the intensity of the new one and tends to ramble a bit. Yuka also sings a bit more on this one, iirc, and to me that isn't her strong suit. But it isn't horrible and I need to give it more spins to sink in. The new one, though, grabbed me immediately and will likely be among my favorite releases of the year.

Bill

Have both of their albums; really love the 1st one. The new one hasn't "caught me" yet, if it ever does.
    It is very different than the 1st.
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    doesn't have the intensity of the new one and tends to ramble a bit. Yuka also sings a bit more on this one, iirc, and to me that isn't her strong suit. But it isn't horrible and I need to give it more spins to sink in. The new one, though, grabbed me immediately and will likely be among my favorite releases of the year.

Bill
    Just for that I am going to have to listen to it again Bill
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

Quote Originally Posted by Clepsydra View Post
    Just for that I am going to have to listen to it again Bill
    Cool!

And I'll be spinning the debut as well. I do agree that the two, while being superficially similar, have pretty significant differences. Both are good in their own way, but may appeal to different tastes.

Bill