Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best" starting point with Soft Machine?

"Best" starting point with Soft Machine?

Simple as that Thanks again, people!

Vol. II
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Third

Can't miss with 2 & 3, I must say. Toss a coin & you will not regret either!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Why is best in quotes?

Soft Machine are one of those bands that tend to fracture fans as to the best albums/periods. I will break it down for you a little by style as that may help you choose...

Soft Machine 1 - Psychedelic, Brit-pop, quirky

Soft Machine 2 - more established mix of psych, jazz, and jazz-rock

Third - The most universally praised album and a stronger mixture of quintessential jazz-rock

Fourth, Fifth, Six - Less "Wyatt" than Third, more jazz, jazz-rock, freeish

Seven - More mellow, jazz-rock - good album, but not a good starting point.

Bundles, Softs - Holdsworth on Bundles is an essential slicker jazz-fusion album

Then there are boatloads of live albums, many worth getting for a fan after a while.

And there's also several Softs spinoffs and the Soft Machine Legacy current band with former members of Softs and Nucleus (that has changed over time).

In short, I would start with Third - if you want to go more, get 2 and Fourth next....go from there.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Third, Fourth and Fifth are the ones I'd start with.

Already looking like the 3rd....

"Bundles" is the only one that I have. I like it a lot.

It's not that simple as it depends on what you like. Poisoned Youth has a nice breakdown up there. I'd say get Vol. 2, Six and Bundles...and then try to remember all three are by the same band.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

vol 2
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Soft Machine is one of my favorite bands, but after their first two albums, the studio albums aren't really representative of what they were, and none of the best versions of any of those songs are on the studio albums. The two 2-CD BBC albums are great places to start, IMO. After that, go with the recommended live shows. I wouldn't bother with any of the studio albums (other than the first two) until you are already familiar with the material.

chalkpie
    First 3

Agree that 2 & 3 are the ones to get. Vol. 1 is good too, but get 2 & 3 first. I didn’t care much for them after those, and they completely lost me when Karl Jenkins joined up.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“Daytime”-Jane/Together

I say "Third" ... I always like "Volume 1", but never got the appeal of "Volume 2" ... maybe it'll grow on me eventually.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agree that 2 & 3 are the ones to get. Vol. 1 is good too, but get 2 & 3 first. I didn’t care much for them after those, and they completely lost me when Karl Jenkins joined up.
    That's unfortunate, because NDR Jazz Workshop is fantastic.

if Third didn't sound like it was recorded in a cardboard box, it would be the hands-down no-brainer. Unfortunately, we have this astounding musical document recorded for posterity but engineered by chimps behind the recording studio controls

I say Bundles
    Bundles just smokes from start to finish

I have them all BTW
    Avoid the first album
    The second isn't a big step up either
    You will need to get Third though
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Vol.2 and/or Third.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

IMO Vol. 2 is their masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Vol. II

This album was as important to the development of the more experimental end of progressive rock as ItCotCK was to the - uh - "established" one. And it came out earlier. Fantastic album!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    I can't believe the haters here for the first album ("The Soft Machine S/T")?!

Kevin Fucking Ayers, people! Plus it sounds terrific, way better than "Vol. 2" in terms of sonics, actually way better than "Third" also, and yes I ADORE those albums as well.

True, it is slightly lagging those others in terms of compositions but if you usually skip listening to this in favor of the rest, then you're missing the cheese on the cracker.

I find this light years more interesting then what followed after "Third", and I don't blame Wyatt for moving on and creating something (Matching Mole, Rock Bottom, etc.) with some sparkling magic instead of a heady mix of rock/fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I can't believe the haters here for the first album ("The Soft Machine S/T")?!

Kevin Fucking Ayers, people! Plus it sounds terrific, way better than "Vol. 2" in terms of sonics
    I love it myself, but it's as different a beast (to my ears) as was Bundles (which I also adore) all those years down the line. Recorded mostly live in the studio, it attains that unique "underground" aura of anarchic creativity which certainly makes it a one-of-a-kind masterpiece - and I agree that it beats Volume Two as far as production values go, but the latter is still their compositional ('though transitional) masterwork IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I know i listed Vol.2 and Third as my recommended starting points,(and i dearly love SM first,s/t) but over the years Four has grown on me by leaps and bounds.Virtually goes to the head of the class(imo) as far as SM long form compositions.Utterly compelling stuff.
    Last edited by walt; 08-09-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Third, Fourth and Fifth are the ones I'd start with.
    I'd kind of avoid 4 & 5 as second choice to go after Third

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    It's not that simple as it depends on what you like. Poisoned Youth has a nice breakdown up there. I'd say get Vol. 2, Six and Bundles...and then try to remember all three are by the same band.
    That would be as close as it gets to my recommendations after Third

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's unfortunate, because NDR Jazz Workshop is fantastic.
    Indeed!!! Absolutely smokes... never understood the hatred for Jenkins
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.