Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any body like these albums?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Have you actually heard it, Scott? See post #66 for my description.
    Of course I've heard it - that's how I know it sucks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    So...it is a prog site then?

Basically, I'm wondering how artists like Madonna and Korn got on something 'promoting music as fine art'.
    I believe the answer to that is Gnosis requires raters to be VERY familiar and enthusiastic about Prog music, but they accept and know that no rational music enthusiast would be so close minded and myopic as to refuse to listen to and or like any music of a style other than Prog.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I believe the answer to that is Gnosis requires raters to be VERY familiar and enthusiastic about Prog music, but they accept and know that no rational music enthusiast would be so close minded and myopic as to refuse to listen to and or like any music of a style other than Prog.
    I'm just trying to understand the scope of the site. So, it's more of a catch all site of what the raters like to listen to then?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

So...it is a prog site then?

Basically, I'm wondering how artists like Madonna and Korn got on something 'promoting music as fine art'.
    Just my opinion, but this is where Gnosis "lost it's way" to some extent. It started as a Prog album rating site, and morphed into a "rate my whole collection" site, which is a purpose already filled by Rate Your Music and Discogs. I get it that most Prog fans have a proselytizing bent, and want to turn others on to what they like, which was likely the impetus for expanding the scope of the site. I also get it that there's no unanimous view of what is Prog and what isn't, but Gnosis has it's own forum, and potential additions to the database could have been submitted to the membership for an up or down vote. I'd wager few Prog albums would be left out, and few non-Prog albums would be added, as a majority of a group that large would be more likely to get things right, and discard the outlier definitions.
    As it is, they've diluted their focus, and added a layer of confusion for those who come upon the site unknowing.

I'm just trying to understand the scope of the site. So, it's more of a catch all site of what the raters like to listen to then?
    ...what open-minded Prog fans listen to... and that's not to try to suggest that every rater on Gnosis likes music other than Prog. I'm sure there is at least one rater that is quite close-minded, but I would venture to guess that over 50% of the raters like mostly Prog but do not box themselves up in Prog only.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

So, my initial feelings were indeed correct. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Just my opinion, but this is where Gnosis "lost it's way" to some extent. It started as a Prog album rating site, and morphed into a "rate my whole collection" site, which is a purpose already filled by Rate Your Music and Discogs. I get it that most Prog fans have a proselytizing bent, and want to turn others on to what they like, which was likely the impetus for expanding the scope of the site. I also get it that there's no unanimous view of what is Prog and what isn't, but Gnosis has it's own forum, and potential additions to the database could have been submitted to the membership for an up or down vote. I'd wager few Prog albums would be left out, and few non-Prog albums would be added, as a majority of a group that large would be more likely to get things right, and discard the outlier definitions.
    As it is, they've diluted their focus, and added a layer of confusion for those who come upon the site unknowing.
    I can see the appeal of doing it, but I think I agree overall. I certainly agree with your last sentence. I finally broke through that confusion! haha

So, my initial feelings were indeed correct. Thanks.
    Well... I cant say I'm the most open-minded... after all, I don't own any Madonna or Korn or Collins solo albums

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Ted Nugent - State of Shock
    This one I don't I've ever heard, but I can't imagine being that bad. I mean, it was made in 1979, but I'm thinking he probably still had some ammunition in rifle (pun intended) at the time. It's the latter stuff in the 80's, after he switched to Atlantic Records, which tend to be not so good.

(Then again, Ted once suggested that every record he made from Double Live Gonzo up through Little Miss Dangerous was "one big clusterfuck", but I'm not sure Ted is the right person to appraise his own work)

Yes - Open Your Eyes
    I remember liking the first two songs on this one, New State Of Mind and Open Your Eyes itself. Open Your Eyes in particular I thought was a great song. The rest of the album, not so much.

Judas Priest - Turbo
    Parental Guidance is a stupid song. The rest of the record is pretty decent. I actually dig the guitar synths, and in particular, I like Out In The Cold.

GTR - GTR
    Once you get over the fact that there's only two instrumentals (one of which is largely just a revamped Please Don't Touch, the composition that Phil Collins couldn't "get behind") and a whole lotta synths on it (yeah, I know, they're all guitar trigged, but it still irritates a lot of people), it's actually a pretty good record. Most of the songs are actually pretty decent, and there's some nice playing here and there on this record. Apart from Hackett To Bits (the aforementioned Please Don't Touch retread) and Sketches In The Sun (Howe's solo 12 string piece), I thought Toe The Line and Imagining were really good songs. And I still like When The Heart Rules The Mind!

Genesis - Invisible Touch
    I don't really like Tonight Tonight Tonight (they should have cut out all that putzing around in the middle) and In Too Deep. The Brazilian I kinda like, but again, there's those mid 80's synth and electronic drum sounds. The rest of the album, though I really enjoy, and Domino I think is a total classic.

Neil Young - Trans
    I like the LP version of this album. When it finally came out on CD, Neil had remixed several of the tracks, which I didn't dig. But I thought the original LP mix of Sample And Hold was really cool. We R In Control, Transformer Man, and A Thing Called Love I also thought were great.

3(Three) To the Power of Three
    Haven't listened to this one in ages. I mainly remember the first song on side one, Talkin' 'bout, and the last one on side two, On My Way Home, both of which I thought were great. The rest of the album is a big blur, with the exception of the poorly executed cover of Eight Miles High.

Genesis - We Can't Dance
    I like Fading Lights and Driving The Last Spike. I thought Jesus He Knows Me was amusing (particularly the second verse, "I believe in the family/With my ever loving wife beside me/But she don't know about my girlfriend/Or the man I met last night"). The rest of the short songs I didn't really care for, though I thought the I Can't Dance video was pretty funny (especially the bit where Phil loses his pants, literally, in a pool game).

Queen - Hot Space
    A better album than some people are willing to admit. For one thing, I like the funk/rock trip on some of the songs. And I think songs like Action This Day, Staying Power, Calling All Girls, Las Palabras De Amour, Life Is Real and Under Pressure are as good as anything they had done. I even kinda like Body Language. I think about the only song I don't like at least a little bit is Cool Cat (especially given that I think side two should have ended with Under Pressure).
    Yes-Open Your Eyes. Universal Garden is a great song. 3-To the Power Of Three. Desda La Vida is also a great song. ELP-In The Hot Seat. Hand Of Truth is friggin' awesome!