Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any body like these albums?

chalkpie
    The best music ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    36. Aerosmith - Pump USA 1989 6.14
    29. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Black Moon Eng 1992 5.98
    26. Aerosmith - Get a Grip USA 1993 5.88
    To be honest, either I haven't heard most albums of that list... or they fully deserve the bad gnosis rate...

However, I can't help but feeling that the three above (though I'm no fan of them) deserve a higher rating... at least as high as the top rated album in that list.

But no, I don't like any of these albums on the list, and outside the Nuge (for two months max), Inever owned any of them...
    (But I did hear all the Triumvirat, Genesis and ELP on the list, for ex)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    They were at the time, mainly for the "I've got a seester" bit.
    Not by today's insane pc standards. If it were today, aside form the song being banned, people would call for them to get sensitivity training.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh, they certainly had much worse than Jesus He Knows Me. I thought Illegal Alien, In Too Deep, Hold On My Heart, No Son Of Mine
    that, sir, is one of the best and most poignant late-period GENESIS songs of the lot. it is impeccable, even down to its execution. opinions will vary of course.

Well I'll admit to owning and liking GTR, Alpha and Astra. I never really understood why Alpha is so reviled, IMHO it betters the debut, despite the two turkey singles. OK, Astra is at the lower limit of my tolerance, but GTR is rather good all the way through.

*Puts on tin hat*

35. Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music USA 1975 6.1
    This one's a CLASSIC!

Im familiar with a lot of these but I'll limit comments to the following

49. I don't like Korn, especially Fieldy's "tackity tackity wall of high-end" bass sound
    47. Quasar, Fire In The Sky -- Weird to read that in this list! I had this album - found it at a Thrift Shop. Thought it was some band's indi album. I liked it but didn't love it.
    46. Yes - Open Your Eyes .... I liked it but I preferred 1999's "Magnification" more which, to me, is a very good album
    23. William Shatner - The Transformed Man is so horrible that it is a MUST in anybody's collection
    17 Queen - Hot Space I consider myself a very open-minded listener but this album is probably their worst, IMO
    14 Asia - Astra The one with Mandy Meyer on guitar. If this band was four unknown guys, I would say it is decent. the fact that i know the history of these players, i put this in the "listenable but not my cup o' tea" category

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Not by today's insane pc standards. If it were today, aside form the song being banned, people would call for them to get sensitivity training.
    And then Fox and Clear Channel play the song 24-7, resulting in the most airplay of their career.

I wouldn't say any of these are great albums but several of them have some good moments on them. Yes Open Your Eyes is probably one of their all time worsts but it doesn't mean its a bad album. Heart Bad Animals has some good songs on it. Phil Collins Hello I Must Be Going has one of his best songs in The West Side although the album as a whole isn't nearly as good as Face Value. No Jacket Required also has some good pieces. I'll probably regret saying this, but Take Me Home is one of my favorites of his solo stuff (love the vibe playing on it). Genesis Invisible Touch has two of their best latter day songs in Domino and The Brazilian, and We Can't Dance has Fading Lights and Living Forever which is a nice song. And GTR in spite of being one of the biggest letdowns in prog history has Toe the Line and Imagining.

I think if you took a bunch of these albums, you could cobble together a pretty good selection of individual songs that any prog fan would be happy to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Yeah, things were much better when you could just go around offending anyone you wanted with no repercussions.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Not to derail the thread, but what exactly is the criteria to be listed on Gnosis?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but what exactly is the criteria to be listed on Gnosis?
    From the website:

Gnosis is currently accepting applications from individuals interested in rating albums on this site. This position is of course on a volunteer basis, and a considerable amount of time would be involved initially. Interested applicants would be individuals who are sincerely interested in promoting music as fine art, have an above average working knowledge of current releases and trends related to the general interest of progressive music enthusiasts, have a familiarity with, and an ability to rate (using Gnosis Guidelines) in excess of 2,000 titles (preferably), possess a willingness to work with the staff of Gnosis to help further the world's knowledge of this art form through the medium of the Gnosis web site, as well as having a broad and varied knowledge and interest in multiple areas and genres within the scope of this art form. Anyone interested in learning more about this, as well as various other ways to help support the Gnosis project, please contact the Gnosis Directors via our at Contact Page

Hot Space, it actually baffles me how many people hate this album. I think it is way better than the two that followed it, and I can only think of a few songs I don't like on the album. I hate most of A kind of Magic in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Aerosmith – Get A Grip / Pump: I love both of these albums. IMO Aerosmith were back firing on all cylinders for these two. They are actually my two favorite “sober” era Aerosmith albums.
    Steve Sly
    Yeah, these are two good ones! The last gasp of a once great band!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Hot Space, it actually baffles me how many people hate this album. I think it is way better than the two that followed it, and I can only think of a few songs I don't like on the album. I hate most of A kind of Magic in comparison.
    For some strange reason, when I had to get rid of some of my CDs, I kept Hot Space, but dumped The Works. I actually love the dance/funk/rock/new wave hybrid music on Hot Space, and I think it's groundbreaking. A lot of people call The Works a return to form. I also love A Kind Of Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Yeah, these are two good ones! The last gasp of a once great band!
    I think that Nine Lives is great, and here are some reasons why:

Hot Space, it actually baffles me how many people hate this album.
    Because disco sucks.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

45. Foreigner - Agent Provocateur Var 1984 6.31
    41. GTR - GTR Eng 1986 6.24
    37. Phil Collins - Hello, I Must Be Going Eng 1982 6.15
    32. Genesis - Invisible Touch Eng 1986 6.08
    31. Neil Young - Trans Can 1983 6.07
    18. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Eng 1985
    13. Phil Collins - ...But Seriously Eng 1989 5.41
    Those are the only ones on the list I have heard & owned.

And of those I still own:

31. Neil Young - Trans Can 1983 6.07
    18. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Eng 1985

And of those the only ones I've listened to in the last 5 years are:

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    From the website:

Gnosis is currently accepting applications from individuals interested in rating albums on this site. This position is of course on a volunteer basis, and a considerable amount of time would be involved initially. Interested applicants would be individuals who are sincerely interested in promoting music as fine art, have an above average working knowledge of current releases and trends related to the general interest of progressive music enthusiasts, have a familiarity with, and an ability to rate (using Gnosis Guidelines) in excess of 2,000 titles (preferably), possess a willingness to work with the staff of Gnosis to help further the world's knowledge of this art form through the medium of the Gnosis web site, as well as having a broad and varied knowledge and interest in multiple areas and genres within the scope of this art form. Anyone interested in learning more about this, as well as various other ways to help support the Gnosis project, please contact the Gnosis Directors via our at Contact Page
    So...it is a prog site then?

Basically, I'm wondering how artists like Madonna and Korn got on something 'promoting music as fine art'.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Because disco sucks.
    Have you actually heard it, Scott? See post #66 for my description.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    JIF, if I had a dollar for everytime you said "Have you actually heard it?" I'd have quite a lot of dollars. Just because other people say they don't like it doesn't mean they haven't heard it, it actually mean they don't like it. Your "have you seen my description?" posts are therefore also superfluous.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    JIF, if I had a dollar for everytime you said "Have you actually heard it?" I'd have quite a lot of dollars. Just because other people say they don't like it doesn't mean they haven't heard it, it actually mean they don't like it. Your "have you seen my description?" posts are therefore also superfluous.
    Well, Scott Comment "disco sucks" tells me that he has heard, because there are tracks like the following..

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Have you actually heard it, Scott? See post #66 for my description.
    Man, if only they'd put "Staying Power" out as the first single-- What a great track, way more funk than disco, full of killer hooks, classic Freddie vocal, all the double entendres you could sneak into a single. (Even better in live versions, with gtr taking the place of the horns). Reception would've been much different if they'd gone with that instead of "Body Language,"-- for once the old Queen trick of picking the most off the wall track as the single didn't work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Man, if only they'd put "Staying Power" out as the first single-- What a great track, way more funk than disco, full of killer hooks, classic Freddie vocal, all the double entendres you could sneak into a single. (Even better in live versions, with gtr taking the place of the horns). Reception would've been much different if they'd gone with that instead of "Body Language,"-- for once the old Queen trick of picking the most off the wall track as the single didn't work.
    Have you heard the live version of Staying Power on the 2011 Hot Space reissue? It's downright evil. I actually like Body Language.

For me, most of it has to do with how a band mutates and grows over a career. Every band does it to some extent. Usually, $ucce$$ is a hug catalyst for how a band changes. Sometimes its just artistic direction/experimentation. Sometimes its drugs. Sometimes its life. Whatever the cases may be, as a band morphs, some improve (Queensryche, Soundgarden) while others don't. Being disco has nothing to do with it for me: if a song is good, a song is good, no matter what the genre (For example: A Taste Of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oogie" is a very good disco song).

I didn't care for Queen's "jump on the techno-pop early 80s Brit Band bandwagon" morph attempt. It sounded very contrived. It also sounded apathetic in performance. The first single "Body Language", compared to Queen's body of work, is - well - terrible. They went from a band that used to proudly display "No synthesizers were used" in the liner notes of previous albums to a band that was trying hard to be synth-pop, including synth basslines. This is why I think its lame - being accused of disco-ness has nothing to do with it.

This is just my $.02....your mileage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I didn't care for Queen's "jump on the techno-pop early 80s Brit Band bandwagon" morph attempt. It sounded very contrived. It also sounded apathetic in performance. The first single "Body Language", compared to Queen's body of work, is - well - terrible. They went from a band that used to proudly display "No synthesizers were used" in the liner notes of previous albums to a band that was trying hard to be synth-pop, including synth basslines. This is why I think its lame - being accused of disco-ness has nothing to do with it.
    The only tracks off of Hot Space that I thought were any good were “Under Pressure” and “Put Out the Fire.” The rest was quite lame, except for “Body Language,” which was downright cringeworthy. It’s not that I’m anti-disco, but I’m anti-sellout, and Hot Space was textbook sellout material. It’s like their version of Emotional Rescue; band sees updating their sound by injecting a bit of funk (in an artistically valid way) pay dividends (Some Girls in the Stones’ case, The Game in Queen’s), so they go all-out in embracing this currently popular genre, but they do so in a really crass and half-assed manner that winds up being a total embarrassment.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Walk It Off”-Moth Vellum