Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any body like these albums?

42. Genesis Live Vo1. 1 - The Way We Walk - The Shorts Eng 1992 6.24

32. Genesis - Invisible Touch Eng 1986 6.08

20. Genesis - We Can't Dance Eng 1991 5.75
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Aside from the bit about "Jesus He Knows Me," which is by far the worst thing Genesis have ever done,
    Oh, they certainly had much worse than Jesus He Knows Me. I thought Illegal Alien, In Too Deep, Hold On My Heart, No Son Of Mine, Another Record, Like It Or Not, and the lyrics to Who Dunnit. I can't believe they left Submarine and Naminanu off Abacab so they could squeeze those last three songs on! Pathetic!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    Right album, wrong song. "Hold On My Heart" is worse than a thousand Hitlers.
    I agree. I think of Jesus He Knows Me like I think of songs like Harold The Barrel and A Trick Of The Tail. Just a prog band having a bit of poppy fun.

Although I would agree that many of these are some of the individual artist’s weakest albums I am surprised at how many I own (20). Albums that I would disagree with:

Genesis – We Can’t Dance: Gotta agree with Scott on this one. Yea about half of it sucks, but the other half is really strong IMO. “Driving The Last Spike”, “Dreaming While You Sleep”, “Fading Lights”, and others are all great material. I have never understood the hate for this album as I think it is much better than some of the ones that came before it.

Aerosmith – Get A Grip / Pump: I love both of these albums. IMO Aerosmith were back firing on all cylinders for these two. They are actually my two favorite “sober” era Aerosmith albums.

Neil Young – Trans: Another one I love and believe it or not, the first Neil Young album I ever purchased. I saw a concert on HBO from this tour and was my first real exposure to Young. I thought the show was great and picked up the album. I still enjoy it.

ELP – Black Moon: I thought this was a very nice comeback album and enjoy most of it. Never understood the hate for this one.

There are quite a few others on this list that I at least like to some extent (“Power Of 3”, “Invisible Touch”, “GTR”, and “Turbo”).

Steve Sly
    Last edited by SteveSly; 08-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Ted Nugent - State of Shock
    This one I don't I've ever heard, but I can't imagine being that bad. I mean, it was made in 1979, but I'm thinking he probably still had some ammunition in rifle (pun intended) at the time. It's the latter stuff in the 80's, after he switched to Atlantic Records, which tend to be not so good.

(Then again, Ted once suggested that every record he made from Double Live Gonzo up through Little Miss Dangerous was "one big clusterfuck", but I'm not sure Ted is the right person to appraise his own work)

).
    This is the album that had "Wango Tango" as the hit single which a lot of people hate. Overall it is a pretty decent effort from Ted though. The title track and "Terminus Eldorado" were both good songs.

Steve Sly

Ted Nugent - State of Shock
    This one I don't I've ever heard, but I can't imagine being that bad. I mean, it was made in 1979, but I'm thinking he probably still had some ammunition in rifle (pun intended) at the time. It's the latter stuff in the 80's, after he switched to Atlantic Records, which tend to be not so good.
    A couple of ok songs from what I remember. I don't think I've heard the whole thing since I had it on tape around the time it came out. My recollection is that it's on par with Weekend Warriors, which is pretty bad, imo.

I either like or partly like these:

46. Yes - Open Your Eyes Eng 1997 6.33
    42. Genesis Live Vo1. 1 - The Way We Walk - The Shorts Eng 1992 6.24
    41. GTR - GTR Eng 1986 6.24
    39. Tangerine Dream - Tyger Ger 1987 6.24
    31. Neil Young - Trans Can 1983 6.07
    29. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Black Moon Eng 1992 5.98
    23. William Shatner - The Transformed Man Can 1968 5.80
    22. Asia - Alpha Eng 1983 5.79
    21. 3(Three) To the Power of Three Eng 1988 5.75
    14. Asia - Astra Eng 1985 5.41
    13. Phil Collins - ...But Seriously Eng 1989 5.41
    7. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Love Beach Eng 1978 4.94
    5. Emerson, Lake and Palmer - In the Hot Seat Eng 1994 4.88

Most of the rest I haven't heard.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Out of these, I really do like the following:

49. Korn - Follow the Leader USA 1998 6.33 - Not a prog band at all, why are they on the list. I do like this album though.

39. Tangerine Dream - Tyger Ger 1987 6.24 - Hate the vocals, but still some nice electronic music here, and a good instrumental in "Alchemy of the Heart". Still one of their weaker efforts.

37. Phil Collins - Hello, I Must Be Going Eng 1982 6.15 - good pop album.

36. Aerosmith - Pump USA 1989 6.14 - overplayed on radio, but still good hard rock

26. Aerosmith - Get a Grip USA 1993 5.88 - good mainstream hard rock

22. Asia - Alpha Eng 1983 5.79 - about half is very good, the rest is dull.

21. 3(Three) To the Power of Three Eng 1988 5.75 - About half of this is pretty good. Love the song "Talkin About".

20. Genesis - We Can't Dance Eng 1991 5.75 - About half of this is excellent, especially the very proggy "Fading Lights". Just skip the ballads.

18. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Eng 1985 - good pop, nothing wrong with that.

15. Nepenthe - Everything Was Beautiful and Nothing Hurt USA 1996 5.46 - Strong neo-prog effort, really surprised to see this mentioned.

9. Mannheim Steamroller - A Fresh Aire Christmas USA 1988 5.07 - A Christmas classic
    Last edited by Yanks2014; 08-05-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Yes, I like them. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Asia – Astra: I like this album and thought it was a lot better than the one that preceded it (Alpha). In fact I think it is one of their better overall releases.

ELP – Black Moon: I thought this was a very nice comeback album and enjoy most of it. Never understood the hate for this one.
    Steve Sly
    I like 3 songs off of Astra, "Go", "Countdown to Zero" (despite the awful spoken word part near the end) and "After the War". No use for the rest of this. I also like about half of Alpha. Love the debut.

I can't say I hate Black Moon, it's just that I find it rather underwhelming. Too many straight ahead rock tunes. The instrumentals on this are cool though.

Oh, they certainly had much worse than Jesus He Knows Me. I thought Illegal Alien, In Too Deep, Hold On My Heart, No Son Of Mine, Another Record, Like It Or Not, and the lyrics to Who Dunnit. I can't believe they left Submarine and Naminanu off Abacab so they could squeeze those last three songs on! Pathetic!
    I always liked "Illegal Alien", I have no idea why this is hated. Of course if it were released today the band would be attacked as racist, unless they changed the title to "Undocumented Worker". Somehow that is a little less catchy. "Jesus He Knows Me" is also a catchy tune, can't say I love it, but don't mind it at all. "No Son of Mine" is a very sad song considering the subject matter. I do think it could be a little shorter though. Love the synths on "Who Dunnit", and the lyrics are supposed to be rather goofy. It's supposed to be a quirky, offbeat tunes, and it works for me, guess I'm the only one who thinks that.

Another Record, Like It Or Not, and the lyrics to Who Dunnit. I can't believe they left Submarine and Naminanu off Abacab so they could squeeze those last three songs on! Pathetic!
    What's worse is that the excellent "You Might Recall" was actually the one that was left off in favour of "Who Dunnit". Had they gone the originally planned 2LP route, all of those songs would have fit easily.

Anyway, like others here I like most of those Genesis and Phil albums. Not so much with that live vol. I "The Shorts" though. That's gotta be the least-played official Genesis release in my collection. What really made the setlist on that tour, IMO, was the long tracks. Although I suppose for those who only like the long ones, it was nice to have them all in one place on vol. 2. This release was reassembled in the correct order for the Live boxed set from several years back.

Edit: Oh, and count me among those who like "Jesus He Knows Me". I always thought the verses were great, and the video was hilarious with Mike playing the part of the supposed holy man being caught with another man in the bathroom stall!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    41. GTR - GTR Eng 1986 6.24
    40. Styx - Edge Of The Century USA 1990 6.24
    37. Phil Collins - Hello, I Must Be Going Eng 1982 6.15
    36. Aerosmith - Pump USA 1989 6.14
    22. Asia - Alpha Eng 1983 5.79
    21. 3(Three) To the Power of Three Eng 1988 5.75
    18. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Eng 1985
    17. Queen - Hot Space Eng 1982 5.62
    4. Styx - Kilroy Was Here USA 1983 4.76
    Many of these were part of my growing up, so I like them.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Wow, I didn't even notice Aerosmith's "Pump" in there. That's rated lowly? I'm surprised, it had some big hits as well as good rockin' tunes on it. I really liked the tracks "F.I.N.E", "Young Lust" and "Don't Get Mad Get Even"....
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    What's worse is that the excellent "You Might Recall" was actually the one that was left off in favour of "Who Dunnit". Had they gone the originally planned 2LP route, all of those songs would have fit easily.

Anyway, like others here I like most of those Genesis and Phil albums. Not so much with that live vol. I "The Shorts" though. That's gotta be the least-played official Genesis release in my collection. What really made the setlist on that tour, IMO, was the long tracks. Although I suppose for those who only like the long ones, it was nice to have them all in one place on vol. 2. This release was reassembled in the correct order for the Live boxed set from several years back.

Edit: Oh, and count me among those who like "Jesus He Knows Me". I always thought the verses were great, and the video was hilarious with Mike playing the part of the supposed holy man being caught with another man in the bathroom stall!
    I love Whodunit.

You like Edge Of The Century? What's your favorite song on there. I do love Love Is The Ritual.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I like 3 songs off of Astra, "Go", "Countdown to Zero" (despite the awful spoken word part near the end) and "After the War". No use for the rest of this. I also like about half of Alpha. Love the debut.

You know what? I am getting my Asia albums mixed up. “Alpha” is the one that I like and “Astra” is the one that I did not care for much. Too many “A’s” in their titles.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I love Whodunit.

You like Edge Of The Century? What's your favorite song on there. I do love Love Is The Ritual.
    Agree, “Love Is The Ritual” was a great single.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    It's not an album I really go back to anymore, but my favorite song was Show Me The Way. Back To Chicago and Love Is The Ritual were okay too.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    It's not an album I really go back to anymore, but my favorite song was Show Me The Way. Back To Chicago and Love Is The Ritual were okay too.
    I actually also the full length version of Show Me The Way(as opposed to the single version), because it features Spanish guitar(which the single version does not have).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    IMO, all those experimental albums (for lack of a better word) had something to offer. If you consider RE-AC-TOR to be one of them, that's an excellent album. It's all great.
    Even Neil & The Shocking Pinks had "Wonderin" on it, which was an old song finally making its studio debut. I actually enjoyed that album. Same with Landing on Water. He may have tried some weird sounds (for him) but at least his song writing chops were still in play.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    IMO, all those experimental albums (for lack of a better word) had something to offer. If you consider RE-AC-TOR to be one of them, that's an excellent album. It's all great.
    Even Neil & The Shocking Pinks had "Wonderin" on it, which was an old song finally making its studio debut. I actually enjoyed that album. Same with Landing on Water. He may have tried some weird sounds (for him) but at least his song writing chops were still in play.
    I have a compilation album called “Lucky 13” which the material was culled from Young’s “experimental” albums. I like pretty much every track on it. Other than “Trans” I have never heard any of the other albums all the way through, but every song on the compilation is a winner and he certainly covers a lot of diverse musical ground.

Steve Sly

47. Quasar - Fire In The Sky Eng 1983 6.33
    I have this for sale if anyone is perversely curious...

8. Citadel - Citadel of Cynosure USA 1990 5.02
    ok... I don't get the hate... this is a decent Rush clone band trying to make a Farewell To Kings type concept album.
    No, it's not as good as Rush in their prime, but it aint *that* bad
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

These for me:

39. Tangerine Dream - Tyger Ger 1987 6.24
    27. Mike Rutherford - Acting Very Strange Eng 1982 5.89
    18. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required Eng 1985
    4. Styx - Kilroy Was Here USA 1983 4.76
    Sorry, I'm one of those dudes who acts out "Mr. Roboto."
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Yes, I like them. Why?
    Exactly! Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I always liked "Illegal Alien", I have no idea why this is hated. Of course if it were released today the band would be attacked as racist,
    They were at the time, mainly for the "I've got a seester" bit.