Thread: Neal Morse -Any fans ?

Neal Morse -Any fans ?

Just finished listening to the "Lifeline" album,and thinking Morse has recorded some decent solo stuff since he said goodbye to Spocks.Any other fans of his solo recordings in general?Or do you relate more to his contributions to SB, Transatlantic, or indeed Flying Colors?

Never heard of him...

I haven't heard Lifeline but I like everything else - although for my money he's never topped his very very first self-titled solo record made when he was still in Spock's.

The Renaissance man of progressive rock.
    I love his solo work, and every other project he has been involved in.
    The best "fuckin epic" composer on the planet.

Lots of love for him here. Lots of criticism, too, but that's PE for ya.

Personally, I love most of his solo stuff, but find Lifeline to be his weakest effort. I can't see how he'll ever top ?.

Band-wise, I'm dying to hear the new Transatlantic and Flying Colors albums. Flying Colors' debut was amazing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Lots of love for him here. Lots of criticism, too, but that's PE for ya.

Personally, I love most of his solo stuff, but find Lifeline to be his weakest effort. I can't see how he'll ever top ?.

Band-wise, I'm dying to hear the new Transatlantic and Flying Colors albums. Flying Colors' debut was amazing.

I agree. I love his solo stuff too - some of it more, or at least on par with Transatlantic. And Lifeline is the one that just never clicked with me. It's okay. If it was the only Neal Morse album in existence I'd listen to it a lot... but it isn't.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like Neal best in the context of Transatlantic. After that, his "Christian prog" solo albums, although I only have the first three. Least of all, in Spock's Beard. A lot of their music sounds like they're being goofy or doing a "prog parody". Probably because I dislike Alan Morse's guitar playing so much.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I loved his work with Kansas.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I liked his latest Christmas album, lots of fun. I apologize in advance for the cheesy video but the tune rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Just finished listening to the "Lifeline" album,and thinking Morse has recorded some decent solo stuff since he said goodbye to Spocks.Any other fans of his solo recordings in general?Or do you relate more to his contributions to SB, Transatlantic, or indeed Flying Colors?
    I am a fan of all things Morse, but as others have mentioned I think "Lifeline" is one of her weaker efforts.

Steve Sly

Overall, other than Lifeline, I like his progressive solo albums better than Spock's Beard but not quite as much as Transatlantic. The question mark CD and One are nearly as good as TA. I don't really care for Flying Colors, nor do I like his two early pop solo recordings... nor the praise and worship type of solo cds. Lifeline is not bad, but the other progressive solo CDs are all better.

Certainly my favorite live performer. His solo shows are the best prog concerts I've ever seen! I'm somewhat surprised to say that I would even rather see Neal's solo band play than Transatlantic, I like his solo work that much. He gives his all like no one else I've witnessed, and when he's front and center, his passion really comes out. That said, I love all of his other projects & bands, too. "Lifeline" has some great tunes on it, but the epic isn't one of my faves. "One" and "Momentum" are my favorite solo albums of his overall.

I liked him when he played with that Japanese guy, who did that thing with his coil.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Never heard of him...
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I loved his work with Kansas.
    It's Neal Morse(not Steve Morse), the first singer of Spock's Beard. Dummies!!

I think it was a joke. Everyone on PE knows who NM is. Along with YES He is the most loved/hated/ and talked about on PE!

Title: Neal Morse -MaAny fans! ?
    There, fixed it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    I think it was a joke. Everyone on PE knows who NM is. Along with YES He is the most loved/hated/ and talked about on PE!
    Do not forget MP. I wonder if Jon and Mike should start a new project together... to beat the world record for longest PE thread ever!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I like Neal best in the context of Transatlantic. After that, his "Christian prog" solo albums, although I only have the first three. Least of all, in Spock's Beard. A lot of their music sounds like they're being goofy or doing a "prog parody". Probably because I dislike Alan Morse's guitar playing so much.
    That's pretty much where I am too. To me that first Transatlantic album was better than V or Day For Night. I loved Neal-era Spocks but Alan Morse's guitar tones could be like fingernails across a blackboard. Cringe-inducing as a all hell. But at least his guitar wasn't the dominant sound of the band. Then with TA you get Roine Stolt who is a hell of a great guitar player. I had one Neal solo album years ago but got rid of it. I have all the Neal Morse I need with Spocks Beard and Transatlantic.

OOooh... Transatlantic with guest Jon Anderson... That would create the thread from hell that would never die... And probably some interesting music, on the side.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

The guy is defineatly my favourite live performer , so ebullient and infectious! Testimony, Lifeline,Solar Scriptura & ? are my favourites with One being his weakest IMO .

No fans since I got central air.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    No fans since I got central air.
    Made my day!!!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic