Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three amazing albums...

chalkpie

TP's Decline and Fall is overwhelmingly great - to *ME* at least. Probably their best release altogether next to In This Life, although In Extremis will always have a very special place in my heart.

Of the three SC3 titles I've got, this one is the one I've played the least. Have to go back and listen - soon. Love the band!

I think I've heard one track off of that Keneally release, but I'm really intrigued by the guy so I'll have to check out more of his stuff as well. Will do.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

There's some great stuff on the 2nd disc of the Scambot Deluxe Edition if you're leaning towards that one. And the main disc is indeed amazing! The album features some dissonant instrumental workouts, along with some great songs.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    TP's Decline and Fall is overwhelmingly great - to *ME* at least. Probably their best release altogether next to In This Life, although In Extremis will always have a very special place in my heart.

Of the three SC3 titles I've got, this one is the one I've played the least. Have to go back and listen - soon. Love the band!

I think I've heard one track off of that Keneally release, but I'm really intrigued by the guy so I'll have to check out more of his stuff as well. Will do.
    TP is not an "easy" listen by any stretch - its the vocal lines that can throw the unsuspecting listeners off - at least I view it that way. But yes, its so detailed and textured, like a fine chamber/orchestral piece with the ferocity of a 10,000+ army . Our pal MJ is certainly no beginner.

Just curious, if you had to rank the SC3 albums, what order would you place them in? The only piece that doesn't grab me on BoH is "Ishraquian"....the arrangement is a bit mundane and doesn't really develop, otherwise I have been really digging the thing hard.

Definitely check out Keneally - I have been a fan for many, many years now. Used to see him in NYC as early as the Sluggo! tour (still have the red shirt), and he is one of the most humble and nicest fellas you'll ever meet. He is an acquired taste (especially his vocals), but for my money MK is one of the most varied and brilliant American musician/composers out there in the art rock/prog field. His recordings are masterful, eclectic, and immaculately produced (they have the "eyebrows" as FZ would say), and his music goes in a billion different directions, sometimes within the same composition. I'm sure touring with a guy like Satriani pays the bills and mortgage (we all have our day jobs), but the irony is that MK is so far ahead of a guy like that, it's laughable. It's like Stravinsky supporting The Eagles

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Book Of Horizons is particularly amazing.

Scambot I need to listen to again. Only listened to it once, though I certainly enjoyed it.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I love Book of Horizons. Incredible album.

Scambot's been in my wishlist for a while now, as I love everything I've heard from Keneally. I just recently got In Extremis and really liked it so I guess I should get Decline and Fall ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    TP is not an "easy" listen by any stretch - its the vocal lines that can throw the unsuspecting listeners off - at least I view it that way. But yes, its so detailed and textured, like a fine chamber/orchestral piece with the ferocity of a 10,000+ army . Our pal MJ is certainly no beginner.

Just curious, if you had to rank the SC3 albums, what order would you place them in?
    Book M, Path and then BoH - which I suppose is the order in which I've listened to them the most. I definitely like all three; I guess it has something to do with circumstance as to where and when I got the album and took on to it. But I'm coming back to things now. I REALLY need to see this band live, and preferably with Toby D. and Mirth-Matt on board.

As for Mike Johnson, I personally regard him as the single greatest "prog composer" currently active. This man cultivates tradition into pure innovation - in a sense very few others would even start to begin to fathom.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    I am happy to have the Thinking Plague and Keneally albums -- both are challenging and wonderful things to behold. Gotta scope out the SC3 stuff, I've been on a minor Mike Patton binge lately so it stands to reason I need to check this out. Good stuff, Chalkpie!

yeah, Scambot is quite simply brilliant. a fabulous record, for sure!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Listened though the whole of Decline and Fall a couple of hours ago, and the damn thing sure holds up splendidly. I would LOVE to see those pieces come to life in performance.

Scrotum Scissor, I really enjoy your comments and taste of music. Are you really 81?
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    Are you really 81?
    No, not really. Not entirely. But I felt like 81 when I wrote that. I guess that's a poor excuse.

No, not really. Not entirely. But I felt like 81 when I wrote that. I guess that's a poor excuse.
    LOL ok I was wondering what you were listennig to at the age of 20.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    I was wondering what you were listennig to at the age of 20.
    Lou Waxman and his orchestra.

chalkpie
    Is that guy like Lawrence Welk?

Is that guy like Lawrence Welk?
    Dude, skip to 01:10 here:

Three amazing albums...
    ...I spun tonight.
    I'm so glad you like it, master C-Pie. Seems like every TP release needs a fairly long time to work its way into people's heads.
    Last edited by MJ-Plagued; 08-12-2013 at 05:45 PM.

As for Mike Johnson, I personally regard him as the single greatest "prog composer" currently active. This man cultivates tradition into pure innovation - in a sense very few others would even start to begin to fathom.
    Well....dear Scrote, what can I say. I'm honored.

I'M honored to be considered in the same mental breath as Mr Johnson.

And thanks for the good words on Scambot, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    I'M honored to be considered in the same mental breath as Mr Johnson.

And thanks for the good words on Scambot, guys.
    Oh Mike, stop it!

I'm honored to be merely be permitted to read, let alone to post in a thread where such mighty musical masters might mentally mingle!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'm honored to be merely be permitted to read, let alone to post in a thread where such mighty musical masters might mentally mingle!
    Well, neither Gene Autry nor Lou Waxman have turned up as of yet! Guess we'll have to stick with the two Mikes.

BTW, was that SC3 tour with Goblin coming anywhere near Europe at all? I can't remember from the thread...

The SC3/Goblin tour in October is just US/Canada. We (SC3) have a Europe tour (likely with FAT32) for the Spring of 2014 in the works. No official announcements yet.

I'm also honored to be able to join this small party. Mike J: great to finally meet you/hear you at SeaProg. Mike K: love your work!

- Matt

Decline and Fall is awesome. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Oy vey!