Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jefferson Airplane roof top performance 1968

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Jefferson Airplane roof top performance 1968

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

Yeah, I've seen that before. It was filmed by Jean-Luc Godard for a film he was making at the time called One A.M., but as I understand it, the film was never actually finished, though DA Pennebaker edited the footage together and created a film released a few years later called One P.M.

It's worth noting that the Jefferson Airplane rooftop concert predated the more famous Beatles performance on the roof of the Apple Records building by several months.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, I've seen that before. It was filmed by Jean-Luc Godard for a film he was making at the time called One A.M., but as I understand it, the film was never actually finished, though DA Pennebaker edited the footage together and created a film released a few years later called One P.M.

It's worth noting that the Jefferson Airplane rooftop concert predated the more famous Beatles performance on the roof of the Apple Records building by several months.
    Of course it is... JA was often at the forefront of the counter-culture, as much as The Beatles were.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Casady kicks ass. I've seen this clips hundreds of times and still love the bass playing.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Banned
    "I'd like to say 'down with the pigs mutherfuckers' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition".

Seeing this makes me thankful for - & hateful of - filmmakers who want to be more creative than the situation demands. I just want to transport myself back in time to a spot standing right behind him/her, slap the person across the noggin & tell them to just film the damn show!

Of course, a little nudity isn't a bad thing, either...

Who doesn't miss those old NYC police uniforms?
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Thanks Jen !
    I haven't seen it before.Was that Richie Havens walking on the street ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Casady kicks ass. I've seen this clips hundreds of times and still love the bass playing.
    Jack is also wearing a sami four winds hat

Banned
    The chemistry between Grace and Marty really shows here. How those two never hooked up is amazing to me.

Banned
    Jack The Limpet...

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    The chemistry between Grace and Marty really shows here. How those two never hooked up is amazing to me.
    Indeed.I love their performance here.But love is a strange thing.

Jack The Limpet...
    Last edited by Modry Effekt; 08-04-2013 at 01:54 PM.

the fact that at the time, the two hated each other's guts?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I dunno. Nor do I care. But I figure that it would be hard to truly hate each other and still work as closely as they did for more than a decade. There was certainly something going on there. You can call it "love/hate" or "sexual tension". Doesn't matter. Whatever it was, it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

Who doesn't miss those old NYC police uniforms?
    Much prefer London's gunless bobbies (back then anyway) some months later...

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Originally Posted by Banquo

This was one way mainly/only... Marty disliked Grace because of singing ego reasons...
    Grace wanted to sleep with him... she pounded on a few hotel Marty bedroom doors... but nrever was allowed in
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The story I've always heard about the Marty/Grace thing was that she was sleeping around with all the band members except for Marty. My guess is that one made a play for the other and was rejected. Not sure which one made the play but if I was to guess I'd say Grace made the play and Marty just wasn't interested. I'm probably wrong about that but I'm sure GuitarGeek or Rune have the dope on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The story I've always heard about the Marty/Grace thing was that she was sleeping around with all the band members except for Marty. My guess is that one made a play for the other and was rejected. Not sure which one made the play but if I was to guess I'd say Grace made the play and Marty just wasn't interested. I'm probably wrong about that but I'm sure GuitarGeek or Rune have the dope on that.

Yeah, she slept with Casadyto hire her on the day he was sent to by the band, but apparently, just that day
    She shagged jorma a few times here and there, but nothing serious
    Then she became Dryden's squeeze for three years or so (until he left the band)
    Then she had a kid with Kantner

According to the got A Revolution book, Grace didn't mind the idea of shagging Marty (hence the banging on door incident), but Marty was not willing... not just because he would've passed after three other band member (but before Kantner), but by that time he resented her grabbing the spotlight...
    Marty was the Airplane instigator with Paul... and a significant parr of the band until Grace brought in her hits, behaviour and looks...

"MM: Was your 1968 rooftop performance in New York copied by the Beatles for Let It Be in 1969?
    GS: Yeah, probably. We were the first to disturb an entire neighborhood of office workers on a rooftop [laughs]. We performed two songs, loud, at midday. No one knew where the music was coming from or why. Director Jean-Luc Godard put us up there and filmed us from across the street as well as people looking up. It was way cool until the cops showed up. No one went to jail, though."

http://www.jazzwax.com/2011/04/inter...ace-slick.html

I like JL Goddard's wink at the band's record label, when the focuses the camera on the RCA tower in the background...

(hence the banging on door incident), but Marty was not willing
    I seem to remember hearing something about that. What actually happened? I'm just curious, it's not worth seeking put a book or anything like that.

my book's in Brussels (300 km away) , so from memory out of Tamarkin's book....

At three in themorning, a drunk (and drugged, most likely) Grace decided she wanted to shag Marty and woke up half the hotel in doing so by making a raucus because he wouldn't let her in... from memory (but remains to be confirmed), she yelled she wanted to screw him, and he yelled across the door to find some other band member to do that job...

Grace wasn't a bad looking woman but you could tell she was a sloppy, stinking drunk. Talented as hell but just sloppy when drunk.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Nice link, never saw it. Jack looks like he is feeding his head with Electric Kool Aid cocktails. Along with the cameraman, who is clearly just as wasted.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

The Beatles didn't copy them. Their plan was for something bigger. In fact, they even talked about performing on an ocean liner with the water separating them from the audience. That, along with other ideas fell through, so they settled on merely playing on the rooftop.

Pure coincidence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Pure coincidence.
    Not a chance. Too damn many similarities.

Not a chance. Too damn many similarities.
    please explain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    please explain.
    Pretty much self-evident. I don't know how you can even look at both and not arrive at this conclusion. Besides, at the time the Airplane were damn near bigger than the Beatles, who were clearly losing their edge after MMT. I wouldn't put it past them, knowing that just by virtue of being the Beatles they would garner more attention with such a stunt.