Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jefferson Airplane roof top performance 1968

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Jen,
    I suppose you mean the Starship's No Protection album, because, although, I'm not really familiar with neither the Jef Starship nor the Starship (despite Tamarkin's book speaking of both era, but I didn't pay that much attention to those times), but in JS, wouldn't the contract have been decided with by Kantner, and not Mickey, since Thomas was not in yet??

OK, Mickey was probably the head honcho in Starship, because Kantner wasn't very productive in the 80's...
    you are correct-No Protection (although "No Escape" is how you feel listening to it). By the time that album rolled around, Kantner successfully managed to force a name change and was well out of the band and doing KBC. At that point, it was Thomas's band and he forced Slick out of the picture, according to her.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I think it's because ronmac is not familiar with that particular song-it is very tight and spot on for that song, which really is not a "live" song-that is, I never expected footage or recordings ever of hearing that one live.
    Absolutely. One of their heaviest, and they nailed it here.
    Love Grace's voice. Especially on Sunfighter, where she really shines.

This is one of my fave performances by a 60s rock band altogether. Godard sure knew how to pick time, place and object. And the song is uniquely powerful.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My assessment is my assessment. While she was a good front-person, she was hardly a great singer.
    I have to disagree with you on this one too. I saw her live 3 times, twice with Jefferson Starship and once when they were just Starship and I thought her voice was incredible. I will agree that earlier in her career alcohol issues seem to have given her some really off nights, but the times I saw her she was spot on. I loved her voice

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Grace's autobiography is really worth a read. Poor Marty was the only member she did not sleep with, though she only had a one-off with Casady and had **much** to say about that...
    It has been a long time since I read it, but I also remember it being very good.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have to disagree with you on this one too. I saw her live 3 times, twice with Jefferson Starship and once when they were just Starship and I thought her voice was incredible. I will agree that earlier in her career alcohol issues seem to have given her some really off nights, but the times I saw her she was spot on. I loved her voice

Steve Sly
    I guess I'm trying to distinguish the difference between a good vocalist and a good singer. Take a guy like Eddie Vedder. His singing voice, IMO, is pretty bad. But he's a great vocalist. While I might not think her singing voice is that great, I would say she got the most out of what she had.

Maybe I'm getting too deep into the weeds.

I thought she was a good singer too. I'm only familiar with the big Airplane hits and a few of the Starship hits (never been a huge fan of Airplane, and really can't stand Starship). She was pretty good (and I normally don't care for female singers).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Maybe I'm getting too deep into the weeds.
    Or maybe just knee deep in the hoopla?

I will agree that earlier in her career alcohol issues seem to have given her some really off nights, but the times I saw her she was spot on. I loved her voice
    Off night! LOL Yeah, I guess when you get drunk, and decide to tell a German audience that you're still upset about WWII (in front of TV cameras, no less!), yeah, I guess that could be described as an "off night".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Off night! LOL Yeah, I guess when you get drunk, and decide to tell a German audience that you're still upset about WWII (in front of TV cameras, no less!), yeah, I guess that could be described as an "off night".
    Agreed, that is still a classic "fail" video.

Steve Sly

Agreed, that is still a classic "fail" video.

Steve Sly
    I've never actually seen the full video, just the bit where she sings "Who won the war?!" and then a bit of her singing White Rabbit way off key. That's about all VH-1 will show when they talk about it.

At least the audience didn't riot that night.

It's worth noting that the Jefferson Airplane rooftop concert predated the more famous Beatles performance on the roof of the Apple Records building by several months.
    Jefferson Airplane = December 7, 1968
    Beatles = January 30, 1969

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Just sayin'.
    OK, they were two fucking months apart. SATISFIED?!

I've never actually seen the full video, just the bit where she sings "Who won the war?!" and then a bit of her singing White Rabbit way off key. That's about all VH-1 will show when they talk about it.

At least the audience didn't riot that night.
    I could swear it used to be on Youtube, but now I can't find it. I know I have seen it somewhere. Supposedly the whole show was filmed for “Rockplast” , but it never aired and was never officially released.

Steve Sly
    Last edited by SteveSly; 08-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.

OK, they were two fucking months apart. SATISFIED?!
    Seven weeks and 5 days -- but who's counting?

Steve Sly
    She definately showed how wimpy Thomas's voice was when he sang with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Or maybe just knee deep in the hoopla?
    People keep giving me that album....I keep trading it in on Bathory...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought she was a good singer too. I'm only familiar with the big Airplane hits and a few of the Starship hits (never been a huge fan of Airplane, and really can't stand Starship). She was pretty good (and I normally don't care for female singers).
    One of my favorite songs by her is called "Didn't Think So", which she did with the Great Society (It sometimes appears under the name of "Like a Raven"). she always criticized herself on her ability to sing a slow song, but she seems to do very well on this piece. I think she wrote it...

One of my favorite songs by her is called "Didn't Think So", which she did with the Great Society (It sometimes appears under the name of "Like a Raven"). she always criticized herself on her ability to sing a slow song, but she seems to do very well on this piece. I think she wrote it...
    Must be over 30 years i heard that song.

Banned
    Chew on this...

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Absolutely. One of their heaviest, and they nailed it here.
    Love Grace's voice. Especially on Sunfighter, where she really shines.
    Yeah, strong album (though not ver even).... But I simply love her first two solo albums, especially Manhole, which might just be the proggiest thing that came from the Airplane galaxy........ along with Blows Against The Empire (who BTW, won a Sci-Fo award, mainly due to its concet side)

Then again, she used to make fun of Kantner's strong Germanic ccent, when he was drunk (hence the Baron Von Tollboth nickname she gave him)... Didn't stop her from have a kid from him....

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

Just sayin'.
    case in point... in two months time... it couldn't have been forgotten about in the art worls... remember that during the 60's, Goddard was in the movie world, what the Beatles were in rock music (the leader of La Nouvelle vague)

She definately showed how wimpy Thomas's voice was when he sang with her.
    Yeah, and Thomas was pissed she had a nicer hairdo that he did...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Then again, she used to make fun of Kantner's strong Germanic ccent, when he was drunk (hence the Baron Von Tollboth nickname she gave him)... Didn't stop her from have a kid from him....
    Actually, I think Grace said it was David Crosby who gave Paul the Baron Von Tollbooth nickname.

I'm gonna have to check out Grace's earlier solo records one of these days. The only one I have is Software, which is...let's say less impressive. And I guess since it hasn't been posted yet in this thread, I guess that means it's time to roll out this chestnut, just because I find it amusing:

As far as Mickey Thomas goes, I find it amusing that a lot of songs, he's actually singing in a higher register than Grace is. Like on Winds Of Change, Mickey sings his verse an octave higher than Grace's.

As far as Mickey Thomas goes, I find it amusing that a lot of songs, he's actually singing in a higher register than Grace is. Like on Winds Of Change, Mickey sings his verse an octave higher than Grace's.
    he also has to yell his parts to match her voice.