Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: 3rd World Electric - Kilimanjaro Secret Brew

FEATURED ALBUM: 3rd World Electric - Kilimanjaro Secret Brew

Review from ProgArchives (Mellotron Storm)
    What drew me to this album was the fact that Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold and former FLOWER KINGS drummer Zoltan Csorsz were involved in making this Jazz / Fusion album.These guys are such good players I thought it would probably be a very good record, and besides it would be interesting to hear them play in this style.The album cover sort of visualizes what we hear on this album. It's like a street party with so many sounds involved including percussion and congas. The closest reference might be WEATHER REPORT's "Heavy Weather" album. While this is a good album it's too light for my tastes. I wish there was some fuzz or atmosphere or experimentation. It's just too smooth, especially the sax that does nothing for me here and hence the "Heavy Weather" reference. "Waterfront Migration" is light with a beat and sax standing out.This is catchy but not my thing. "Ode To Joe" is where they slow things down. Lots of sax leads. It does pick up some before 3 minutes. "Capetown Traffic" is much better as it has more of a Fusion vibe. And yes There is Fender Rhodes too. Sax, bass and percussion then start to lead as it lightens unfortunately. It's still good though.

"Downbeat Dakar" turns funky with sax, percussion, drums and a collage of sounds.This recalls Herbie Hancock. "The Lava Juggler" has lots of bass, drums and percussion as sax plays over top. Keyboards lead after 2 minutes. Great sound a minute later then the guitar comes in around 4 minutes. "Kilimanjaro Secret Brew" is really good because they at least add some atmosphere. "The Can Robots" is catchy with some great sounding guitar finally. It's funky after 3 minutes. "Children Of The Future" opens with piano as it builds. Piano only a minute in then it builds again. Guitar and drums lead 5 minutes in then it's time for the sax to lead.

I wish they had been more daring. I feel that this album is just too safe.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

There is not much prog there. Also it would be nice if you add the year of the record for the feature albums. Thanks.
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

Quote Originally Posted by Musitron View Post
    There is not much prog there. Also it would be nice if you add the year of the record for the feature albums. Thanks.
    It takes a LOT of work to post the featured album, and for the past several months, Poisoned Youth has posted almost all of them. Researching the year of release just adds to that effort, and I don't think we should ask him to add to his workload.

So - members who are interested in a featured CD should feel free to research and post the year of release.
    Regards,

Duncan

This place has become the "Cheers" of the Internet.
    -- Rushfan

I like this one. A solid fusion release.

Tom

Is that Mort Drucker artwork?

Great, noisy, crazy, inventive fusion album.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Love this album, very much looking forward to a second release. Lalle Larsson is my favorite keyboard wizard of modern prog and fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    I like this one. A solid fusion release.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Agree with MS review. Average, decent, pleasant, but not outstanding.

Didn't I read somewhere they were planning a second album?
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Fantastic album from some of my favorite musicians. The release date was 2009.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    I really like this album and I think it's superbly well done. Whether one likes the songs or not may be one matter, but if someone tried to argued that it was some sort of hack job I'd have to question their hearing or sanity.

I'm biased by my previous experience of having heard lots of Flower Kings albums, but I was really surprised how different this is from most other work Roine Stolt and Co. have been involved with. It seems like it was written, played, and mixed by another group of musicians entirely.

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Excellent "stretch" beyond the boundaries of "prog" into the realm of Weckl-ian fusion. Enjoyable to hear these musicians take on a different genre. Bring on album #2!

I recently revisited this and enjoyed it to some degree on its own merits, but I recall reading before this album came out some blurb from Stolt about the music sounding like it came out of 1971-1972. To us "afusionados", there's a distinctively different sounding music being made in 1971-1972 than in 1975-1977. Since I prefer the former, I was kind of letdown.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.