Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bring The Prog Back US Tour Postponed

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Got a call from The Sellersville Theater tonight, they will refund for the ticket or substitute a ticket for The Francis Dunnery Electric Band. I really feel bad about SOC not appearing, I was and still am very excited about the Dimensionaut experience, the band and the album, the good news is you can never go wrong with Francis, he always puts on a great show. Hang in Squids, I'll be waiting for SOC, whenever you get here.
    Thanks man.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Would that be "It"? Whoa, can't wait for that one too!

The fact that this tour had to be canceled because this great music couldn't be sold to the public, tells me that some of the best music available is going to waste. Deaf ears if you will. Something has to be done to get radio play to the mainstream. Keep it our little secret that it's prog.

HI, the french fusion-prog band Mörglbl will be touring the USA next month, here are the tour dates below.

Friday, August 30 Florence, SC Apple Annie's
    Saturday, August 31 Chapel Hill, NC Local 506 with Hephystus
    Sunday, Spetember 1st Raleigh, NC The Pour House Music Hall
    Wednesday, September 4 Atlanta, GA Prog Power USA pre-show
    Thursday, September 5 Atlanta, GA Atlanta Institute of Music (closed show for staff and students)
    Friday, September 6 Nashville, TN Douglas Corner with Roy Vogt
    Monday, September 9 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon with Neil Zaza
    Tuesday, September 10 Chicago, IL Reggie's (Music Joint) with Neil Zaza
    Thursday, September 12 Indianapolis, IN Birdy's with Neil Zaza
    Friday, September 13 Columbus, OH Rumba Café with Neil Zaza
    Saturday, September 14 Charleston, WV Empty Glass with Neil Zaza
    Sunday, September 15 Greenwood, IN Ronald McDonald House Charity event
    Monday, September 16 Cleveland, OH Beachland Tavern with Gravity and Recess
    Tuesday, September 17 Philadelphia, PA North Star Bar with Thank You Scientist
    Wednesday, September 18 Kingston, NY BSP Lounge with Dead Empires and Thank You Scientist
    Thursday, September 19 Dunellen, NJ NJ Proghouse http://www.njproghouse.com
    Friday, September 20 Teaneck, NJ Mexicali Live with Thank You Scientist
    Saturday, September 21 Baltimore, MD Orion Studios

More infos:
    www.bluemouthpromo.com
    www.morglbl.net
    www.facebook.com/pages/Mörglbl/229471253757086

All FB events for the tour are below if you want to join and share
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mörgl...7086&sk=events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuVkEpRgpg

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aureldrums View Post
    HI, the french fusion-prog band Mörglbl will be touring the USA next month, here are the
    Why don't you start thread with this? Oops you did.

Nashville the only city in the world where two genesis drummers live.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Would that be "It"? Whoa, can't wait for that one too!
    Yes.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 06:57 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gibberish View Post
    The fact that this tour had to be canceled because this great music couldn't be sold to the public, tells me that some of the best music available is going to waste. Deaf ears if you will. Something has to be done to get radio play to the mainstream. Keep it our little secret that it's prog.
    Then perhaps Sgt Peppers was a waste because it never went on tour

I may be a bit bitter that this music isn't getting the attention it deserves. Dimensionaut is my favorite CD along with Sanguine Hum. It gets listened to every day and there is not a weak spot in it. I was fired up to see SOC in Illinois 5th row center, but then the sad news. I thought SOC was on a roll with their European tour, and I still have high hopes for the band. I like that Squids is moving forward in a positive way. I'm not sure what happened with Sgt. Peppers!

Banned
    Victoria is right. If you want to move millions of people with your music, forget the name progrock. The music we love started before it was called that. And it will go on long after the genre is forgotten. What I think we love (though it's become limited by copying and preconceived notions about genre) is sophisticated, virtuosic, anything-goes ROCK. It can call upon classical, jazz, pop, blues, ANYTHING. Sophisticated, great musicianship that rocks! Forget HAVING to sound like a category, or anything anyone has heard before. Not so hard to do if you're listening to yourself and not what anyone else sounds like. Not so hard if you love music more than money or success and let the music guide you. Ironically, that's what it takes to MOVE millions of people. How about calling this site Sophisticated Ears?

Banned
    I may be a bit bitter that this music isn't getting the attention it deserves. Dimensionaut is my favorite CD along with Sanguine Hum. It gets listened to every day and there is not a weak spot in it. I was fired up to see SOC in Illinois 5th row center, but then the sad news. I thought SOC was on a roll with their European tour, and I still have high hopes for the band. I like that Squids is moving forward in a positive way. I'm not sure what happened with Sgt. Peppers!
    Tell me about it. I was so pissed that I almost crapped all over PE.

"Bring The Prog Back"..... hmmmm. Has there ever been a musical movement or genre that has made a genuine comeback? "Bring Back The Swing! Or it Don't Mean a Thing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    "Bring The Prog Back"..... hmmmm. Has there ever been a musical movement or genre that has made a genuine comeback? "Bring Back The Swing! Or it Don't Mean a Thing!"
    Well, since you mentioned swing...

In the mid-late 90s, swing became popular again with bands such as The Brian Setzer Orchestra breaking into mainstream radio. Suddenly, there people were taking dance/swing classes and other bands were being heard on the radio and seen on MTV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_revival

By the late 1990s, retro swing's popularity was increasing. The 1996 film Swingers, featuring Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, was both a critical and financial success. Also in 1996, swing revival band Squirrel Nut Zippers had a charting hit with their song "Hell". In 1997, third wave ska and ska punk had become a major presence in mainstream music. The commercial success of bands such as The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, who combined ska and punk with a prominent brass section, and Hepcat, who played a more traditional jazz and R&B influenced style of ska, presumably helped pave the way for neo-swing's mainstream acceptance.

Finally, in 1998 and 1999, the swing revival entered the mainstream, partly due to a television commercial for The Gap featuring the original Louis Prima recording of "Jump, Jive and Wail" and khaki-clad dancers doing the Lindy Hop. Neo-swing bands cracked the Billboard Top 50, Cherry Poppin' Daddies had a major hit with "Zoot Suit Riot," Big Bad Voodoo Daddy played the half-time show at Super Bowl XXXIII, and retro-swing music was prominently featured in television and films such as 1999’s Blast from the Past.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    In the mid-late 90s, swing became popular again with bands such as The Brian Setzer Orchestra breaking into mainstream radio. Suddenly, there people were taking dance/swing classes and other bands were being heard on the radio and seen on MTV.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swing_revival
    I remember all that now! (I had forgotten at the moment though). But, it didn't last long, did it? A pretty quick fad that didn't really make a major comeback, it was just an odd trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I remember all that now! (I had forgotten at the moment though). But, it didn't last long, did it? A pretty quick fad that didn't really make a major comeback, it was just an odd trend.
    Well, the height of it was late 90s and into the 2000s, but it made a lasting mark by bringing some of those acts to popular radio. The careers of some of them are still going. They may not be what they were back then, but some of those groups would most likely not have been as big today if swing had stayed 'under' and not had a revival.

How many years would it have to be at the top for you to not define it as a trend?

Either way, it was still a revival/comeback of the genre.

I think Dimensionaut has a lot of cross over appeal. Songs like: Closer to You, Remote View, PBD for example. I played these for non-prog aficionados (females even!) and they liked them.

Agreed, don't put yourselves in a "Prog Box" marketing wise.

Banned
    Don't put yourself in a "Prog Box" period. Especially when you're creating new music.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

I really liked a lot of that - BSO, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers - all great stuff.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I really liked a lot of that - BSO, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers - all great stuff.
    And the Cherry Poppin' Daddies are playing in my neighborhood next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yep, those were the main ones. BSO is probably still around. I'm not sure about the others. Swing might still be around but it could be underground now kind of like........

....Something has to be done to get radio play to the mainstream. Keep it our little secret that it's prog.

stunned into silence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Swing might still be around but it could be underground now kind of like........
    There are no limits. Really good stuff, no matter the genre, will attract a crowd when people find out about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aureldrums View Post
    HI, the french fusion-prog band Mörglbl will be touring the USA next month, here are the tour dates below.

Friday, August 30 Florence, SC Apple Annie's
    Saturday, August 31 Chapel Hill, NC Local 506 with Hephystus
    Sunday, Spetember 1st Raleigh, NC The Pour House Music Hall
    Wednesday, September 4 Atlanta, GA Prog Power USA pre-show
    Thursday, September 5 Atlanta, GA Atlanta Institute of Music (closed show for staff and students)
    Friday, September 6 Nashville, TN Douglas Corner with Roy Vogt
    Monday, September 9 Madison, WI High Noon Saloon with Neil Zaza
    Tuesday, September 10 Chicago, IL Reggie's (Music Joint) with Neil Zaza
    Thursday, September 12 Indianapolis, IN Birdy's with Neil Zaza
    Friday, September 13 Columbus, OH Rumba Café with Neil Zaza
    Saturday, September 14 Charleston, WV Empty Glass with Neil Zaza
    Sunday, September 15 Greenwood, IN Ronald McDonald House Charity event
    Monday, September 16 Cleveland, OH Beachland Tavern with Gravity and Recess
    Tuesday, September 17 Philadelphia, PA North Star Bar with Thank You Scientist
    Wednesday, September 18 Kingston, NY BSP Lounge with Dead Empires and Thank You Scientist
    Thursday, September 19 Dunellen, NJ NJ Proghouse http://www.njproghouse.com
    Friday, September 20 Teaneck, NJ Mexicali Live with Thank You Scientist
    Saturday, September 21 Baltimore, MD Orion Studios

More infos:
    www.bluemouthpromo.com
    www.morglbl.net
    www.facebook.com/pages/Mörglbl/229471253757086

All FB events for the tour are below if you want to join and share
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mörgl...7086&sk=events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuVkEpRgpg
    Since you posted on this thread, I wonder if you would mind letting us know how your tour comes out financially—plus or minus. I listened to the band on youtube and think you're terrific. Would be exciting and fun to see live IMO. I think we'd all like to hear about a successful tour for you and the music!

I just noticed that SOC is playing on both the Moody Blues Cruise AND the Yes Cruise. AND Rosfest. Seems like even with this tour being cancelled, you've got your spring nicely set up. Now all you need to do is get added to the Prognation Cruise and you'll never have to come home! Hope you don't get seasick easily...