Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bring The Prog Back US Tour Postponed

Good comment Progeezer, Red tape can prevent goodness from happening, and lack of, can let bad people into our territory. I was really looking forward to seeing SOC as I had scored 5th row center seats for the show in Illinois. I never get this good of seats, but I am not bitter toward the band for their demise. I still have their CD to listen to until I get a chance to see them some day.

I'm so sorry to hear you won't be making it to Atlanta GA! (Or anywhere else in the U.S.)....I was really looking forward to this! And yes, I had purchased my tickets about 3 weeks ago. But I STILL SUPPORT the band! I LOVE the new CD!!! One of the best of the year IMO. Spring isn't that far away, so I can wait. In the mean time, you guys keep it going! You have support over here in the U.S. Maybe you could work out something with AXS TV to air a concert on their station. They just played a 2 day summer event that happened in Britain. Why can't they do that same thing for a Prog Festival there?

Anyways...hang in there. We really appreciate the new music!!!!

Disappointed about the news, but hopefully I catch the band in the Spring.

Tiles, D97, still playing the Detroit show? What's Discipline doing that night?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I don't get the Visa issue, it's probably more about ticket sales, or lack of...
    If you don't file with expedited processing, you seriously risk not getting them in time.
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Even NEARFest was not immune. I used to tell Rob and Chad after years of success that they could book a screaming cat (no, not Peter Hammill) and 1,000 people would show up. I sure ate crow on that one.
    Point is well taken, but slightly off on its target duo.
    Chad

Sorry to hear there are many bands i know who would love to do dates im usa but having had some experience i think its safer to stick to the odd festival unless you have a large established fanbase or are 2 people or less its the fastest way to lose cash in this genre and not that the cd sales justify losing a lot of cash on the road they dont

Is the Sellersville show with FD cancelled or who is going to replace SOC on the bill?
    I was only going to this show to see SOC in a nice theater.
    Marltonfan

Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    Is the Sellersville show with FD cancelled or who is going to replace SOC on the bill?
    Marltonfan
    Not sure.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Tiles, D97, still playing the Detroit show? What's Discipline doing that night?
    As far as I'm aware, this show is completely off. EIther way, I know D97 will not be appearing. Check out our October tour dates w/John Wetton though at http://www.district97.net/shows. Not doing MI unfortunately, but maybe you can make one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marltonfan View Post
    Marltonfan
    This was cancellation of the entire bill, correct. The only question is who is Progday going to book as a replacement for SOC.

Anyone who is questioning the whole visa issue should lighten up. We have all seen many tours over the years scrubbed because of logistics when it comes to international travel. It simply comes with the territory.

As for a future SOC tour, count me in. The SD show was on my short list of upcoming shows having just received my copy of Dimensionaut from Amazon. Terrific record, might be in the running for my fav of 2013 but if not, then most likely a top-5 for a year which has given us some really memorable music thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by spotprog View Post
    Anyone who is questioning the whole visa issue should lighten up. We have all seen many tours over the years scrubbed because of logistics when it comes to international travel. It simply comes with the territory.
    Is it ok to question ticket sales and how low they were? It would be helpful to know what the dividing line ( ) was on that, since it was posted that low ticket sales were also a factor for cancellation. The low ticket sales happened with NEARfest, and has happened with other fests/shows. This info might help others attempting to tour or play shows in some of those venues.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Is it ok to question ticket sales and how low they were? It would be helpful to know what the dividing line () was on that, since it was posted that low ticket sales were also a factor for cancellation. The low ticket sales happened with NEARfest, and has happened with other fests/shows. This info might help others attempting to tour or play shows in some of those venues.
    Nearfest only had bad ticket sales one year (most sold out within an hour), and that was because the line-up was very weak. IMHO, Sound of Contact needs to push the Collins name. Hackett's doing larger venues worldwide and selling out? He's doing Genesis, not Hackett-solo. If you market it right, Americans will get off their couches and come, because ticket prices were extremely fair and the band is good.

Quote Originally Posted by LEG-art View Post
    Nearfest only had bad ticket sales one year (most sold out within an hour), and that was because the line-up was very weak.
    Did NEARfest ever recover? Line-up was weak, huh? In comparison, this 'Bring The Prog Back' lineup was strong? Ticket sales says otherwise, no?

IMHO, Sound of Contact needs to push the Collins name. Hackett's doing larger venues worldwide and selling out? He's doing Genesis, not Hackett-solo. If you market it right, Americans will get off their couches and come, because ticket prices were extremely fair and the band is good.
    Market the Collins-su-su-sudio name and it just might work, eh?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I think SOC is a band with a lot of potential and some good buzz building, but this was probably a case of them trying to do something a little bit too ambitious too soon from a touring standpoint. The debut album only just came out a couple of months ago. Give it chance to build, grow and extend some tentacles of interest outside of the "prog ghetto" first. Make SOC a name, not a legacy band or a prog band, but its own thing. I was looking forward to catching the Atlanta show and I hope to catch them here some other time down the line.
    Last edited by Frumious B; 08-04-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Nearfest only had bad ticket sales one year (most sold out within an hour), and that was because the line-up was very weak. IMHO, Sound of Contact needs to push the Collins name. Hackett's doing larger venues worldwide and selling out? He's doing Genesis, not Hackett-solo. If you market it right, Americans will get off their couches and come, because ticket prices were extremely fair and the band is good.
    I don't know how much more the Collins name can be pushed. Almost every music magazine, blog, interview, etc. I've read talking about SoC says this is Simon "Son of Phil" Collins' band.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I think SOC is a band with a lot of potential and some good buzz building, but this was probably a case of them trying to do something a little bit too ambitious too soon from a touring standpoint. The debut album only just came out a couple of months ago. Give it chance to build, grow and extend some tentacles of interest outside of the "prog ghetto" first. Make SOC a name, not a legacy band or a prog band, but its own thing. I was looking forward to catching the Atlanta show and I hope to catch them here some other time down the line.
    I agree with this. This is why I'd asked Dave in the other SoC thread when this was announced if this tour was well funded. I just thought it being a bit unrealistic given it was a new band, but didn't want to make this observation because I didn't want to sound like a downer, given Dave's enthusiasm and optimism, which I admire. I thought a better idea was to bring the European tour they did with Spock's Beard and Jolly to the U.S. I remember thinking when that European tour was announced that I would've liked to see that tour.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nearfest only had bad ticket sales one year (most sold out within an hour), and that was because the line-up was very weak.
    Very weak? I loved the line-up that year.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    One positive side effect of the SOC cancellation was that Yes had enough time to do all 3 albums at Yesfest (TYA, CTTE, GFTO). They were not going to have time for GFTO, but folks have said (and I agree) Awaken is the highlight of the show.

When you come to the U.S. in the spring...I hope you still include Atlanta on the tour. Look into a place called Variety Playhouse. They have a nice venue. I saw Steve Wilson and Asia there this year. Excellent sound!

Hope to see you here soon!

I second this opinion. It may have been lacking for multiple big name bands in some fans minds but we missed out on a tremendous event with great bands scheduled to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very weak? I loved the line-up that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    One positive side effect of the SOC cancellation was that Yes had enough time to do all 3 albums at Yesfest (TYA, CTTE, GFTO). They were not going to have time for GFTO, but folks have said (and I agree) Awaken is the highlight of the show.
    I don't think Sound of Contact canceling had anything to do with Yes playing all 3 albums. Yes was ALWAYS slated to go on stage at 9:15, and thats when they did. Furthermore Yes had been booked to play just the 2 albums from the beginning, and Sound of Contact was only added to the line-up much later. And lastly, while I wasn't there at the the 3PM start of the Yestival, someone else reported that Scale the Summit, who had been scheduled to play the second stage, actually played the main stage, taking Sound of Contact's slot.

I agree Awaken was the highlight of the whole show and am glad Yes played all three albums, but think it was just a decision the band made that had nothing to do with the rest of the line-up.

Banned
    I now question if my ticket purchase for the Orion will be refunded. I learned that Mike Potter who hosts Orion gigs, didn't know tickets were being sold by the band in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I now question if my ticket purchase for the Orion will be refunded. I learned that Mike Potter who hosts Orion gigs, didn't know tickets were being sold by the band in advance.
    Oh my!