Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vapor Trails: Remixed available in October

Vapor Trails: Remixed available in October

http://www.rush.com/vapor-trails-remixed/

“Vapor Trails was an album made under difficult and emotional circumstances – sort of like Rush learning how to be Rush again – and as a result, mistakes were made that we have longed to correct. David Bottrill’s remixes have finally brought some justice and clarity to this deserving body of our work,” says Geddy Lee.

“Every song has been given a new life, from the fire of ‘One Little Victory,’ ‘Secret Touch,’ and ‘Ceiling Unlimited’ to the melodic musicality of ‘Sweet Miracle’ and ‘How It Is’… these songs have been redeemed. Thank you David!”
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Didn't really bug me that much the first time around but I guess this is great for those that hated the mastering.

I'll probably buy it - there was some ferocious energy on that album that deserves some clarity
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'll be getting this. The production on the original was unbearable for me. I really wanted to like this album but couldn't get past the sound. There are some good songs under all that noise.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    A new mix and mastering should be interesting to hear though at this point the original version has been around for so darned long that I'm used to it and might end up missing that raw frazzled intensity. Yeah, it's a clipped and distorted mess, but it reminds me of a sixties garage band take on the Rush sound in some ways.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, we don't really want a remixed version...

Just kidding! Schwing!!!!

Monotheistic Supernalist ProgPariah77's Avatar
    Steven Wilson did this one, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Didn't really bug me that much the first time around but I guess this is great for those that hated the mastering.
    Yeah, the mastering was indeed a (big) problem .... even with that corrected and a new mix, I don't think it will be that much an improvement, because if you check out the production of their latest albums since VP (and even TFE before that), they're pretty much samey-sounding, from track A to track Z

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I'll be getting this. The production on the original was unbearable for me. I really wanted to like this album but couldn't get past the sound. There are some good songs under all that noise.
    So you force yourself into liking an inferior (for whatever reasons) album???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

So you force yourself into liking an inferior (for whatever reasons) album???
    I don't know what you mean here. I'm saying I thought there were some good songs but the production made it painful to listen to. I didn't force myself to like it; I simply couldn't listen to it. I have a remix that a fan on the Counterparts forum did, and its more tolerable so I'm sure this official remix will allow me to enjoy the album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Nice!! I love the songs on the album, so I'm really look forward to this.

I understand it was a difficult time, no question. But as a long time fan, I've never been able to get into it, cant see myself getting it again. They left me behind, and I have all three of their albums during this part of their career. Looking forward to hearing what folks here have to say about it when it does come out.

I'll wait for reviews of this, but I'll most likely get it. I like most of the material on it, but I don't know if I've ever been able to tolerate a full listen of the album in one sitting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Remix is welcome, but a shame that will be remastered like any other job of VanDette, lot of compression and limiting.

I'll wait and read some reviews before I decide if it's worth it. I'm curious to read what everyone thinks. I've never been crazy about VT to begin with but there are some pretty good songs on it. The original release is probably the worst mastered/produced/mixed/engineered/whatever, rock album I've ever heard. What a mess. It sounds like pea soup (or pee pee soup). Death Magnetic and 13 sound WAY better to me. Yeah, those albums are loud, compressed, brickwalled, etc. but at least there's some definition and punch. VT was all a mess of guitars in the middle, with hardly any bass or highs. But, it has some good songs (Eartshine and Peaceable Kingdom are killer rock songs).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'll wait and read some reviews before I decide if it's worth it. I'm curious to read what everyone thinks. I've never been crazy about VT to begin with but there are some pretty good songs on it. The original release is probably the worst mastered/produced/mixed/engineered/whatever, rock album I've ever heard. What a mess. It sounds like pea soup (or pee pee soup). Death Magnetic and 13 sound WAY better to me. Yeah, those albums are loud, compressed, brickwalled, etc. but at least there's some definition and punch. VT was all a mess of guitars in the middle, with hardly any bass or highs. But, it has some good songs (Eartshine and Peaceable Kingdom are killer rock songs).
    I'm a huge fan of the VT songs and agree that the mastering is horrible, but to my ears Death Magnetic is way worth; songs and mastering. 13 bores me and is way loud too.

I have the album, but probably only heard it once. I'll seriously consider this remix.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I bought it at a swap meet a long time ago, but couldn't even make it past the first song. My ears were hurting.

Yeah, the mastering was indeed a (big) problem .... even with that corrected and a new mix, I don't think it will be that much an improvement, because if you check out the production of their latest albums since VP (and even TFE before that), they're pretty much samey-sounding, from track A to track Z
    Did you ever get Retrospective 3? The VT tracks that appeared on there were remixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Remix is welcome, but a shame that will be remastered like any other job of VanDette, lot of compression and limiting.
    Didn't he also remaster the Sectors box sets? If so, I think he did a fine job. In fact, I plan on getting the Atlantic box set to complete my Rush collection. Having Feedback is the selling point, as I don't normally buy EPs. Give me a whole album, or give me nothing!!!

Man, it's about effin time. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I don't know what you mean here. I'm saying I thought there were some good songs but the production made it painful to listen to. I didn't force myself to like it; I simply couldn't listen to it. I have a remix that a fan on the Counterparts forum did, and its more tolerable so I'm sure this official remix will allow me to enjoy the album.
    OK, I guess i read your post with the wrong slant... sorry

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Did you ever get Retrospective 3? The VT tracks that appeared on there were remixed.
    Nope, to be honest, if I make sure I hear every new Rush album (I usually borrow it from the library system for a week or so), I've basically given up on Rush since Signals... So albums since TFE basically sound the same (mastering and production issues aside) in terms of songwriting and the constructiopn of the pieces. And I can't seem to care for any of their newer studio albums... Since TFE, the only i like slightly better is S&A, probably because of the instrumentals...

Soooo I'm not likely to ever hear the new production/mastered version, since I doubt my library system will buy the album a second time (though i've been surprized before on this issue)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Nope, to be honest, if I make sure I hear every new Rush album (I usually borrow it from the library system for a week or so), I've basically given up on Rush since Signals... So albums since TFE basically sound the same (mastering and production issues aside) in terms of songwriting and the constructiopn of the pieces. And I can't seem to care for any of their newer studio albums... Since TFE, the only i like slightly better is S&A, probably because of the instrumentals...

Soooo I'm not likely to ever hear the new production/mastered version, since I doubt my library system will buy the album a second time (though i've been surprized before on this issue)
    I've heard most of VT, and it sounds like nothing that came before.

I bought it at a swap meet a long time ago, but couldn't even make it past the first song. My ears were hurting.

Didn't he also remaster the Sectors box sets? If so, I think he did a fine job. In fact, I plan on getting the Atlantic box set to complete my Rush collection. Having Feedback is the selling point, as I don't normally buy EPs. Give me a whole album, or give me nothing!!!
    If you like...

Original - Dynamic Range: 13
    Remastered - Dynamic Range: 5

All CDs from the Boxes follow this same line of mastering. Awful

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    If you like...

Original - Dynamic Range: 13
    Remastered - Dynamic Range: 5

All CDs from the Boxes follow this same line of mastering. Awful
    Okay? Showing me this is not going to get me to change my mind. I have all the Mercury box sets, and they sound find to me. I hope to get the Atlantic box set for my birthday, which is in October.
    Last edited by JIF; 09-27-2013 at 11:42 PM.

I've heard most of VT, and it sounds like nothing that came before.
    I'd have to relisten to both TFE and VT... but when I heard VT at release time, I couldn't help but thinking of TFE.

Test For Echo is probably Rush's best sounding album post-70s/80s (to my ears anyway). "Best sounding" doesn't mean I think it's a very good album. It's like Vapor Trails, it's got 3-4 really good songs and the rest is ok to just plain mediocre, or bad. I'm hot and cold on Counterparts. I used to love T4E and CP but they haven't aged well for me.

T4E has half of my favorite Rush album. The other half is dreck.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.