Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vapor Trails: Remixed available in October

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    it says it ships in 1-4 weeks.
    Got mine from CDUniverse this afternoon.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Yeah, I like it quite a bit. They found a decent medium between the mud of the original and the neutered, tinniness of the Retro3 remix. But yeah, it could still use a little more hair. I like some of the new little details in the new mix (including a GUITAR SOLO), but others are kinda distracting (the reverse-reverb in "Nocturne"). But overall, I like it, and I'm glad they did it.
    flute juice

Got mine last Week. I prefer the original mix. More punchy, less compressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesa View Post
    Got mine last Week. I prefer the original mix. More punchy, less compressed.
    The original is less compressed? Haha..... Good one!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I don't like the new version because it doesn't give me a headache.

My copy arrived a few days ago (Amazon shipped it much sooner than they said). Sounds pretty good to me. I always liked the album, but this sounds better. I always said there's a lot going on this album that people just weren't listening to. Neil's cool symbol work, a lot of nice interplay between Alex and Geddy. It's atypical, but very cool (similar to the Feedback EP).

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesa View Post
    Got mine last Week. I prefer the original mix. ... less compressed.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There has to be a typo in that statement somewhere...

May as well just cut/paste what I wrote on a Rush forum:

I'm still enjoying it after several more listens, whereas I couldn't even listen to the original in one sitting because it was so irritating.

I concur with many others in that Freeze is the only song that is less than the original, seems to have lost some of the urgency and intensity. Still sounds good, but compared to the original, lost a bit of bite. There are two songs that I can't rememeber offhand, that I couldn't even tell what song they were from the intro! That's how different-sounding they are from this new mix.

I love how I'm hearing so many of the lyrics for the first time. I couldn't make out some of the lyrics on the original and normally I would look at the lyric insert if I couldn't understand something, but with the awful sound I didn't even bother. So it's a revelation to hear many of these lyrics and how great they are. Some are resonating deeply.

The only song that hasn't changed for me is Out of the Cradle. Didn't care for it on the original and don't care for it on the remix. Everything else with the exception of Freeze has taken a giant leap forward for me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Got this today, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. I liked the original Vapor Trails, but there was a lot of mud to wade through to get through to enjoy the original songs. This new version is almost like a completely different album -- you can finally hear whats going on. Also did they insert a couple of new guitar solos, or where they originally there just buried in the mix?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Just buried in the mix or not mixed in at all. They aren't new.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    The only song that hasn't changed for me is Out of the Cradle. Didn't care for it on the original and don't care for it on the remix.
    Since you obviously like the lyrics overall, just in case you don't know (maybe you do), "Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking" is a Walt Whitman poem. I like the song, and also like Whitman, so that makes me like the song even more.

So, now that all of you have heard the new re-mix, have you finally come to the conclussion that really it's just not that great a Rush album? I like the album, but can't say too many songs on it thrill me much. Has the re-mix caused you to like the actual songs more, or just the recording sound?

I like the album so much more. I always thought that the songs were good, but could never listen to the sonic mess all that often. The new remix/remaster is really good. It is like having a brand new Rush album and I can't get it out of the cd player. It is fast becoming one of my favorite Rush albums of all time.

I have a whole new outlook on the album now - I never gave it the listen it deserved because I just hated that mass wall of bad sound... I could hear something lurking in there but I shelved it. Maybe it is like a fine aged wine - it really resonated with me this go around. The mix definitely helped with that. So much better.

I like it pretty much the same as I always have: quite a bit. I'm not sure which version I like more (the original sounded like poop, but it had a heaviness that I like that I miss in the remix). I think I like the heavier songs a little less in the new version (e.g., Peaceable Kingdom), and the less-heavy songs (e.g., the title track) a little more.

I think the high points are still very high (Earthshine, Ghost Rider, Sweet Miracle, Vapor Trail) and the low points are still "meh" (the last 3 tracks).

So I guess, no I don't agree that "it's just not that great a Rush album".
    flute juice

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    To me there is way more space in this mix. Yeah, maybe a tad less punchy in some areas, but you can actually hear nuances in the individual instruments and the Geddy's vox don't sound as processed and his bass more musical. Alex's guitar playing sounds more articulate as well. Better than any fan 're-mix' I've heard.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

A very good job done on this one. Not their best album, but the remix is worth it. Some very good songs on here and really only a couple that I'd label "okay". Glad to be able to hear this the way it should have been done in the first place.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion