Thread: Longest CDs (or DVDs)

Longest CDs (or DVDs)

The other thread about megabox sets got me to wondering, what's the longest CD or DVD ever released? I imagine it'll be an MP3 format CD or DVD. I have one of those of Billie Holiday (about 12 hours) and one of Miles Davis (about 12 hours) and an audio DVD of natural sounds that is over 19 hours long.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 08-01-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Well, audio CD's can only be 80 minutes long. One of the discs in the remastered version of Grateful Dead's Europe 72 is exactly that length. If I remember correctly, so is the CD edition of Black Sabbath's Live/Evil that I have.

I burned it myself, but I have a DVD+R of Tangerine Dream bootlegs that's around 31 hours in length.

I have a regular CD that is 86 minutes long. It's prog of course!
    Ragnarok / Ragnarok Live
    R-150-3967806-1350840008-6718.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, audio CD's can only be 80 minutes long.
    Yes of course, but DVD-A can be quite a bit longer (8.5gb) and a whole CD (or a whole DVD) of MP3s longer still. Let's see, at 128kbps a 700mb CD will hold 12.44 hours of music, while a 4.7gb (single layer) DVD would hold about 87.36 hours of music.

Have not seen one of those marketed.

312 minutes (5 hours 12 minutes) appears to be the current record holder for DVD-A. Not sure what format my 19-hour DVD-A is in.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes of course, but DVD-A can be quite a bit longer (8.5gb) and a whole CD (or a whole DVD) of MP3s longer still. Let's see, at 128kbps a 700mb CD will hold 12.44 hours of music, while a 4.7gb (single layer) DVD would hold about 87.36 hours of music.

Have not seen one of those marketed.
    I bought a collection like that from Zoogz Rift about 10 years ago. It's got most of his albums on 2 CDRs, but in poor SQ 128 ~ 192mp3.

I pulled out the 19-hour DVD to see what it was. It's called "A Deep Forest Creek" and it's put out by David Michael on Fieldcraft Records (2011). It's 19 hours 4 minutes 46 seconds of 256mbps MP3s taken near Lake Mamori, Amazonas, Brazil. It's incredibly cool.

I remember I had a disc by an obscure german prog band back in the early nineties called Iskander. Their mental touch cd was 73 minutes long and I remember thinking back then that was a really long cd(and it was). Because of the wording I even figured out how to say total playing time in German(gestam spiel zeit).

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I remember I had a disc by an obscure german prog band back in the early nineties called Iskander. Their mental touch cd was 73 minutes long and I remember thinking back then that was a really long cd(and it was). Because of the wording I even figured out how to say total playing time in German(gestam spiel zeit).
    Of course that would be: "Gesamtspielzeit". We Germans have it with looong words (like "Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebsw erkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft")

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, audio CD's can only be 80 minutes long. One of the discs in the remastered version of Grateful Dead's Europe 72 is exactly that length. If I remember correctly, so is the CD edition of Black Sabbath's Live/Evil that I have.

I burned it myself, but I have a DVD+R of Tangerine Dream bootlegs that's around 31 hours in length.
    Of course he doesn't mean a regular cd, but in fact there was a mono Wagner's Ring released years ago where you could play the right channel and hear one part and play the left channel and hear the second part on each CD. So actually the CD's had double the length of music on them. Thus having up to 160 minutes per CD. It came with a mono jack so you could play each channel on your stereo. And of course since it was in mono you had no loss of music or sound quality.

Rick

Or play both channels together and imagine Charles Ives.