Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 34-cd Herbie Hancock Box Set(1972-1988) To Be Released in Nov.-Sony-Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I've never checked, but it has to be either Coltrane or Miles. I'd guess maybe in the area of about 20 albums from each one, not all studio.
    That's not that many.

I have close to 50 from each, and many more artists in the 20-50 range. My only objection to a 34-disc box -- as I stated before -- is that avid fans will probably already have almost all the albums, and the casual listener isn't likely to take a 34-disc bite. It's a marketing black hole, selling maybe a couple hundred copies to the completists only.

This Herbie Hancock box piqued my interest because other than Thrust and Headhunters,i have nothing else by HH that's in this offering.

I'm still on the fence about getting this.It seems that i often get excited about some of these big box offerings when i first see 'em advertised,but i often hesitate to pull the trigger.Same deal with the Family box,the Pink Floyd, The Smiths,LTIA,Road To Red,Glenn Gould CBC dvds...The issue isn't really money, i can afford 'em........

A few boxes were "mandatory" purchases for me,namely the Anthony Braxton Mosaic Arista box,the Henry Threadgill Mosaic,Beatles stereo,Live Coltrane in Europe-Pablo-10cd,Henry Cow box(es),and a number of smaller 4-5-6 cd boxes.

I wish i had purchased the Los Angeles Free Music Society 10-cd box, The Lowest Form of Music,but i hesitated and now it's OOP.I hope it goes back into print.I won't hesitate again.
    Last edited by walt; 08-10-2013 at 09:48 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Perhaps to your ears.
    Of course. God forbid.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I wish i had purchased the Los Angeles Free Music Society 10-cd box, The Lowest Form of Music,but i hesitated and now it's OOP.I hope it goes back into print.I won't hesitate again.
    Got $239?

A few boxes were "mandatory" purchases for me,namely the Anthony Braxton Mosaic Arista box,the Henry Threadgill Mosaic,Beatles stereo
    For me, the most mandatory and important boxset I've ever bought is Beatles Mono. I can't say enough good things about that.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That's not that many.

I have close to 50 from each, and many more artists in the 20-50 range. My only objection to a 34-disc box -- as I stated before -- is that avid fans will probably already have almost all the albums, and the casual listener isn't likely to take a 34-disc bite. It's a marketing black hole, selling maybe a couple hundred copies to the completists only.
    Definitely not, Robert. These "Complete Album" collections have been doing overall very well. Believe me, Legacy would not put the effort into making a box, repressing all the music, paying folks for the lengthy book that comes with it, etc, unless they figured they'd sell more than a couple hundred copies.

There are more people out there than you think. Plus, as I already mentioned, from a practical perspective, the footprint of this box is an enticement for me to buy it, even if I do have about 70% of what's in it. I can make up a heckuva lot of space getting rid of those jewelcase versions, get a bunch of stuff not previously available in North America and a (usually) informative booklet, all in a relatively tiny box. The space I made when I got the Miles box was significant - and when you're in a relatively small space like I am, a real consideration. I've been doing the same thing with, for example, Joni Mitchell. The 10 studio records in the recently released Warners box cost $38, including shipping, from Amazon UK, I got her first two records (which I didn't have) and was able to save a few inches when I got rid of the eight jewelcase versions I had.

I suppose that folks could argue why not go all-digital, and they'd have a point, but I still like the tactile thing and, even in smaller size, artwork and, in some cases, liners. So for me, this is not just a matter of being completist (though I'll be the first to admit I am one), it's also a matter of making more space in the apartment for the constant influx of new music coming my way - purchased and comped for review.

I suppose that folks could argue why not go all-digital, and they'd have a point, but I still like the tactile thing and, even in smaller size, artwork and, in some cases, liners.
    I was just reading the reviews on Amazon for a 99-disc box of the complete Liszt piano music. The discs come in a compact case with little-to-no artwork, with a software key for downloading complete artwork and liner notes (1,153 pages worth!)

It seems to me the trend is moving moving away from physical product.

More and more, music is being marketed digitally and artwork -- where it is offered at all -- is also digital. Those of us who "like the tactile thing" are a dying breed, like libraries, newspapers and magazines.

In the future, everything will be in a chip in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Of course. God forbid.
    I'm not criticizing, PY; just saying that, for me, the only albums that I know in the Herbie collection that sound dated to my ears (and it's not the sounds, it's the music) are Secrets, Sunlight and Feets Don't Fail Me Now.

Don't have Monster or Magic Window, but suspect they'll also be in that category. But that's 5/34, so 15%, and with the addition of Herbie Hancock Trio With Ron Carter + Tony Williams, V.S.O.P. The Quintet: Tempest In The Colosseum, Directstep, V.S.O.P. The Quintet: Five Stars, Village Life and Blow Up - none of which I have - plus the Round Midnight soundtrack (which I used to have on vinyl and recall thinking was a decent if not great record) still make it more than worthwhile. Dunno about Butterfly, the duo record with Kasai, or Lite Me Up, but all told, the positives far outweigh the negatives for me in this one. Plus, as I keep saying, the space, man, the space!! (of course there could also be the argument that not buying it at all also saves space, but if we push that one right off the table as being, well, impossible for me....then.... )

It seems to me the trend is moving moving away from physical product.
    Well, yes and no. With the vinyl resurgence, you have guys like Arve Henriksen reissuing all three of his Rune Grammofon titles on vinyl (three sides the original albums, side four with bonus material from the same session) plus another LP of brand new material for a massive seven-LP set with great artwork, some decent liners (having written one of the two sets, I'll not go any further than decent , though those written by the other contributor, BBC's Fiona Talkington, were great), and 2 DVD-As of high res versions (in various formats) of the whole shebang.

In Europe, there are labels that are doing regular vinyl-only releases that sometimes include download links, sometimes not.

Bottom line: I don't think we're seeing the end of hard media, and doubt it'll happen at all - or, at least, not until I'm worm food (at which point I don't care, but the Siena Jazz Foundation will, if it's still around, as that's where I'm planning to donate all my music after my wife and I are gone).

I'm happy that we're starting to see digital media (i mean liners, artwork, and even rich media things) included in digital sales, and it's certainly an enticement to buy things that may be oop on hard media and outrageously expensive, but for which the music can still be had at a very reasonable price in downloadable format. Heck, even without such things, the chance, for example, to pick up some of the Grateful Dead Dick's Picks in download form for a fair price is great, given so many of the oop ones are selling for hundreds of dollars.

You and I may well be a dying breed....but I'm not entirely convinced; every time I hear that death knell, something happens (like the vinyl resurgence) to reaffirm that there are still plenty of people - and of varying ages - who want something they can hold in their hands.

In the future, everything will be in a chip in your head.
    OTOH, if they could come up with a high quality cochlear implant that would allow me to eliminate having to carry around headphones and earbuds, and get great sound delivered directly to me ears from the inside, I'd be, I suspect, one of the first to sign up!!!

Cheers!
    John

I'm happy that we're starting to see digital media (i mean liners, artwork, and even rich media things) included in digital sales
    Not enough. I wish there were files full of pictures, lyrics, reviews, label catalogs and the like in all that unused space on most CDs. I mean, it's pretty much the standard on DVDs.

More and more, music is being marketed digitally and artwork -- where it is offered at all -- is also digital. Those of us who "like the tactile thing" are a dying breed, like libraries, newspapers and magazines.
    Not to change or derail the conversation but this is an important point here about libraries and printed media. I've been researching a musician the last few years, first a discography, then information about where he performed. The ONLY source for this is in city, county, or small town libraries in newspapers or weekly entertainment listings, NOT on the net. I've spent many many hours looking at local print in various libraries. I guess what I'm saying here is support your local libraries and kept them from throwing away hard copies.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Not enough. I wish there were files full of pictures, lyrics, reviews, label catalogs and the like in all that unused space on most CDs. I mean, it's pretty much the standard on DVDs.
    Agreed. But hey, it's a start

I won't spring for a used box set.I've bought a fair number of used single cds(and a couple of 2cd sets) over the last few years but i don't want to take a chance on one or more of the discs being scratched/scuffed/etc.I just figure there's more risk of a bad disc in a larger box set.Call me crazy.

I won't spring for a used box set.I've bought a fair number of used single cds(and a couple of 2cd sets) over the last few years but i don't want to take a chance on one or more of the discs being scratched/scuffed/etc.I just figure there's more risk of a bad disc in a larger box set.Call me crazy.
    Who said it was used?

Who said it was used?
    The person who posted the LAFMS-The Lowest Form Of Music 10 cd box on Amazon marketplace said so.He posted-"used-like new".

The person who posted the LAFMS-The Lowest Form Of Music 10 cd box on Amazon marketplace said so.He posted-"used-like new".
    Oops, missed that. Sorry!

All I can say is I've been on this board for 10 years now, so being passionate about music must have something to do with it!

While I'll never buy a 34-cd set of any artist, I do have more music than I can listen to, and keep buying more!.
    I second this!!!!!!!

So what part of "like new" do you need explained to you?

So what part of "like new" do you need explained to you?
    No part."Used-Like New" is not "new".I simply prefer not to take a (probably small) chance that one or more of the cds may be scratched or scuffed.If i wanted it bad enough i'd take that small risk,but i'd rather wait and hope this box set will be re-issued before our sun goes supernova.

I've read online rumors that this box might be re-issued sometime soon.We shall see.In the meantime , i have enough material from LAFMS on cd to keep me occupied.
    Last edited by walt; 08-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.

No part."Used-Like New" is not "new".I simply prefer not to take a (probably small) chance that one or more of the cds may be scratched or scuffed.If i wanted it bad enough i'd take that small risk,but i'd rather wait and hope this box set will be re-issued before our sun goes supernova.

I've read online rumors that this box might be re-issued sometime soon.We shall see.In the meantime , i have enough material from LAFMS on cd to keep me occupied.
    There's no risk. If a CD being sold as "like new" has any marks on it, then you get to return it for a full refund, shipping included.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    There's no risk. If a CD being sold as "like new" has any marks on it, then you get to return it for a full refund, shipping included.
    Duly noted.

Duly noted.
    Just FYI, I buy a lot of used stuff that's oop through amazon marketplace. For the most part, folks selling their stuff describe them accurately, so when they say "as new" it's almost always been just that. The one or two times it's not, I've done what amazon suggests: contact seller first, to see about working something out; if they fail to satisfy then amazon will step in.

Both times my experience has been good. In one case, because it was oop and hard to find at anywhere near the same price, I realized I could get the discs resurfaced and all would be fine (they played fine, but had some scuffs and light scratches that make them Very Good rather than Like New). The guy refunded half the price, which more than paid for the resurfacing.

The other experience, I was given the option of returning for a full refund or keeping, for (again) a 50% refund. I took door "b" because they discs did play.

So, bottom line: my experiences dealing with problems through amazon have been very positive.

Yeah most of us who sell througn Amazon are very jealous of our seller ratings, you tend to rate conservatively and bend over backwards to satisfy buyers. I've only been scammed once, when a buyer said the printer arrived broken (and I knew it had not) so I made her ship it back "for evaluation before issuing credit" -- at her expense.

I've bought perhaps, fifteen to twenty used cds from Amazon marketplace in the past 4 years(all single cds).Most "used-like new","used-very good",and a few used cds(one 2cd set) from other online stores.I've been pleased with every purchase of a used cd.All have been in excellant condition, both disc and package.

I'll continue to purchase used cds from Amazon marketplace when that's the only way i can get my mitts on 'em.I only hesitate about purchasing used box sets, for the reasons i've stated above.Perhaps i'm being overcautious.
    Last edited by walt; 08-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I don' t need 34 CDs of ANY artist.
    True... For my money I'd have one CD of 34 different artists.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 08-14-2013 at 04:26 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS