Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sacha Baron Cohen not playing Freddie Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    A lot of bands may feel like Oliver Stone's "The Doors" poisoned that well in general, and thus may be gun-shy. It's certainly the reason Roger Daltrey is holding up plans for a Keith Moon biopic. He knows people want "Moon the Loon" and he doesn't want some crazy actor giving that impression and soiling Moon's legacy.
    I hadn't heard about Daltrey or anyone else holding up any proposed Moon biopic, but I can see the point. People want a film about all of Keith's off stage exploits (and according to Alice Cooper, at least, literally everything you've heard about Keith is true, "and you've only heard about 10% of what he actually did"), though I'm not sure you could necessarily "soil the legacy" of a guy who allegedly once drove a car into a hotel swimming pool and once went on a pub crawl dressed as Adolf Hitler (whether they actually happened not being the point, but rather that they were reported to the public in various ways, and therefore that's how the guy ends up being remembered). But I can see his point, ie why bother making a film about that stuff?".

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    That was good too. I think Joan Jett chose not be interviewed because she was already involved, in some creative capacity in 'The Runaways' movie.
    If that's true, that Runaways movie must have been in development for an awful long time. The two films were released about 4 years apart. I remember at the time I saw Edgeplay, I looked it up on IMDB, and there were a lot of suggestions being made in the comments section that Joan was still "in the closet", and she was uptight about the whole "I slept with Cherie" business, though apparently, anyone who cared to pay attention had known for years that Joan is at least bisexual, if not in fact a lesbian (this being before she covered that one Sweet song, which kinda spelled it out since she didn't change the pronouns).

Jefferson James
    It's too bad Fred Rogers is dead; he would've made a great Freddie, and I'm sure his interpretation of Freddie's life would've been appropriate viewing for the two-to-six year old demographic.

A lot of bands may feel like Oliver Stone's "The Doors" poisoned that well in general, and thus may be gun-shy. It's certainly the reason Roger Daltrey is holding up plans for a Keith Moon biopic. He knows people want "Moon the Loon" and he doesn't want some crazy actor giving that impression and soiling Moon's legacy.
    Weren't Pete & Rog were all gung-ho for years and years about having Mike Myers play Keith? I wonder what happened to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Weren't Pete & Rog were all gung-ho for years and years about having Mike Myers play Keith? I wonder what happened to that?

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Power of Love”-Mahavishnu Orchestra/Apocalypse

Johnny Depp could play Moon. Seriously, I think he could.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/sach...ercury-biopic/

The reason is that the band wanted to make more of a PG movie about Queen while Cohen was counting on a gritty R-rated tell-all centered around the gifted gay singer.

While I agree Queen's approach was too bland (but probably understandable), I also don't trust Cohen's approach to be terribly even-handed. Also, if he'd paid attention to the lyrics to this song, Cohen might have realized he'd be up against a brick wall:

What do Queen fans (or otherwise) here think?
    I am glad Cohen is out. i'm not a fan of Queen, but I don't trust Cohen to treat Mercury with respect and would instead try doing a Borat/Bruno reworking of him.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Do you think Yakov Smirnoff is available?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

why not get that dude who can do a spot on imitation of his voice? he even looks like a young freddie.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Johnny Depp could play Moon. Seriously, I think he could.
    I don't see it. Depp is a good actor but I don't see him as Freddie. Baron Cohen was the right choice but he seems so full of himself. I've never seen a SBC movie. That kind of humor just doesn't interest or entertain me, but Sacha seems like a logical choice. Maybe they'll come to some compromise.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't see it. Depp is a good actor but I don't see him as Freddie. Baron Cohen was the right choice but he seems so full of himself. I've never seen a SBC movie. That kind of humor just doesn't interest or entertain me, but Sacha seems like a logical choice. Maybe they'll come to some compromise.
    Actually, Depp is one of the actors being considered to replace Sasha, but you probably already knew that Vic, because you're so wise.

The good thing about Depp is he is versatile enough to be able to pull it off.

The bad thing is everyone will compare it to Caprain Jack and Tonto

What about Russell Brand to play Freddie ? He's always reminded me of him. Dunno if he can sing 'though ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I don't see it. Depp is a good actor but I don't see him as Freddie.
    Moon- Keith Moon. Actually though, I do think he could do Freddie...

Obviously Tom Cruise should replace Baron Cohen.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Or Will Smith...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Or Will Smith...
    Directed my M. Night Shamalamadingdong
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

at Trurl

...and in further breaking developments, it has been reported that Danny DeVito will also not be playing Freddie Mercury or Keith Moon.

This project will be snapped up by director Tim Burton who will have Freddie portrayed by Johnny Depp and Helen Bonham Carter as Brian May.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    The good thing about Depp is he is versatile enough to be able to pull it off.

The bad thing is everyone will compare it to Caprain Jack and Tonto
    I compare everything he does to Tom Hanson (a role he's been trying to live down for the last 25 years, I imagine).

Seriously, I think he Depp could do justice to Freddie. He seems to do a pretty good job with everything else he does, which, before he started doing movies inspired by Disney World rides, included some pretty serious work.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If that's true, that Runaways movie must have been in development for an awful long time. The two films were released about 4 years apart. I remember at the time I saw Edgeplay, I looked it up on IMDB, and there were a lot of suggestions being made in the comments section that Joan was still "in the closet", and she was uptight about the whole "I slept with Cherie" business, though apparently, anyone who cared to pay attention had known for years that Joan is at least bisexual, if not in fact a lesbian (this being before she covered that one Sweet song, which kinda spelled it out since she didn't change the pronouns).
    Not sure if it's true, but I did hear that from some place (a website?) around the time that I watched Edgeplay, about 4 years ago. It wouldn't be that far-fetched though. Some movies are in development for a decade or more. Most are probably for at least a few years while they try to get funding, re-write scripts, casting, etc.. Often projects fall apart even after tons of effort and money has been spent during the development stage. It's a tough business.

There is also this: http://www.justjared.com/2009/06/16/...omment-page-2/

This states that Jett was a creative consultant: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ticle-1.175666

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    Not sure if it's true, but I did hear that from some place (a website?) around the time that I watched Edgeplay, about 4 years ago. It wouldn't be that far-fetched though. Some movies are in development for a decade or more. Most are probably for at least a few years while they try to get funding, re-write scripts, casting, etc.. Often projects fall apart even after tons of effort and money has been spent during the development stage. It's a tough business.

There is also this: http://www.justjared.com/2009/06/16/...omment-page-2/

This states that Jett was a creative consultant: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...ticle-1.175666
    I saw in several interviews with Kristen Stewart that she hung out with Joan Jett to better play her in the movie.

^ Yeah, the first link is all about that and the 2nd link also talks a lot about it.

i think a movie about Freddie Mercury is a bad idea...............

hopefully it won't happen.