Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nektar - 43rd Anniversary

Nektar - 43rd Anniversary

Happy Anniversary to all the guys and thank you for many years of Light & Sound concerts and albums!

Wayne
    Classic Nektar lives on @ http://www.thenektarproject.com/

HAppy Anniversary to a great band, so often forgotten. I LOVE Recycled!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

I totally agree! Thank you for all the great music and visuals over the years.

Right up there with the best of them

Happy anniversary

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

A band I had barely any knowledge of before coming to PE. That has since been corrected. Happy anniversary.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

A band I had barely any knowledge of before coming to PE. That has since been corrected. Happy anniversary.
    I was fortunate enough to learn about them many years ago. But, alas, it was a bit too late; only a year or two after they disbanded. It was many years later that I discovered that they played often in my home town (the Lehigh Valley in PA).

Hail to the original 5, as well as those who are helping to carrying on. My favorite band of all time. Like the way their old albums still hold up musically and lyrically. I often quote Nektar's lyrics to my three 19- 24year old boys who are finding their way. Particularly this passage from Remember the Future:

(boy)
    I can see you through the morning mist
    and the evening too
    I can hear you getting closer now to the living truth
    you say life has no end
    but believe me you've go to pretend
    Because I can see you coming closer now to the living truth
    Let it grow, someday you're gonna let it show

(bluebird)
    I can see you come close to me
    And I'll tell you true
    I can feel you listen carefully to what I say to you
    I tell you life has no end
    There's no need for you to pretend
    Cos you see you, believe yourself that's all you have to do
    and let it grow, somehow you gotta let it show

Congratulations to all those who were/are involved with NEKTAR. You have much about which to be proud & we fans have much to be thankful.
    Last edited by Casey; 11-16-2012 at 08:04 PM.

My love of this band goes back to 1974 when I heard RTF for the first time. Nektar for me were every bit as good or better than many of the bands from the classic era of prog back in the 70's, they had an incredible run that was derailed by a bad decision made by management when they did not release Recycled right after Remember The Future, instead management decided to release Down to Earth after RTF, which of course was a major mistake that cost them the momentum they had built with RTF.

Now to be clear here, Down To Earth was a fine collection of songs, an excellent album, but fans wanted another concept album and the band had one ready in Recycled but for some reason their management did not release it when it should have come out and when DTE hit the stores many Nektar fans were like "WTF?". Although I grew to love DTE if they would have released it after Recycled it could have been a whole different story for Nektar.

Then when Roye decided to leave that killed them, sure the remaining members made a really nice album in Magic Is A Child but it just didn't have the classic Nektar sound to it. and the rest is history.

Hopefully we can get this thread to the same proportions of the PE 2.0 one

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

On our journey, we recycled tabs in the ocean to bring sounds like this down to Earth,
    yet the magic of the Roundhouse and playing live in New York always made us remember the future.
    Nektar has travelled around the Sun 43 times (it's slightly stronger on the far side) yet only eight times together, so this anniversary is somewhat bittersweet...
    Thanks to all and everyone here at PE for your support thru the years..... cheers!
    Last edited by Mick; 11-17-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Ah....good memories...I saw them in 1975. Magical !!!

happy Anni.

Happy Anniversary Mick,Mo,Taff,Ron and Roye, thanks for some great times and friendships, saw Nektar 9-28-74, a life changing experience, went to over 20 shows the next 3 years, those were some great times....Thanks guys

Love these guys! Wish I could see them in concert someday. I hope they will still be around for awhile!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Nektar has been one of my favorite bands since first hearing them in the early 70's
    The first time I got to see them Live was I believe in 1975 when they played the Calderone Theatre, In Hempstead on Long Island. That show was incredible playing Remember The Future in its entirety, The Liquid Light Show was ioncredible. Have seen them a few times and always enjoy their shows.
    Congradulations to all the original members and all membembers who have played with them since to keep the music alive.
    Nektar FOREVER!!!!!!!!!

Lycia
    I too was completely in love with Nektar after hearing RTF for the first time. The opening melancholy of side two of "Remember the Future" hooked me from the get go. I've been a loyal follower since. Even though Roye doesn't consider Nektar to be a prog band, they are, and thank god they churned out the stuff they did. "Astronaut's Nightmare", "A Tab in the Ocean", "Mundetango", "It's All Over", and "Desolation Valley/Waves" live inside me forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lycialive View Post
    Even though Roye doesn't consider Nektar to be a prog band,
    I never heard that before.

Lycia
    Yes, it's acrually right here. (I've included the url to the full interview at the bottom):

P: A related question. You have said that Nektar is not a "prog" band, but a "rock" band. Indeed, you seem to feel that there is "no such thing" as "prog" music. Can you elaborate on this? For example, if there is no such thing as "prog," what would you say is the difference between Nektar and, say, Foreigner or Journey? And how would you classify seminal "prog" bands like King Crimson, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, ELP, Jethro Tull and Gentle Giant? On the other hand, if there is such a thing as "prog," who would you include - and why?

A: I have never said there is no such thing as progressive music, although I did say that I personally don’t see Nektar as a band with that label attached. Someone back in the eons of time put a handle on this kind of music because they couldn’t categorize it; they had to label it somehow. Hence, “progressive rock” or “prog-rock.”

If the record-buying public think that Nektar is in the prog-rock category, then ok, that’s what they want to term our music. But I don’t see it that way. How can you possibly call a straight- ahead rock song like "Fidgety Queen" (from “Down to Earth”) “prog-rock,” or even say that the album "sounds like this?" No, you can’t. But if people want to call it that, then by all means go ahead.

The difference in Nektar’s music is that we never stuck to a formula: we did what we wanted to do, and how we wanted to do it. Although we had a pretty awful record company and a hard, rocky road, at least we were given a free hand in what we produced, and we produced different albums at every release. You ask if I acknowledge the presence of prog-rock, and who would I include - I would include all of them, and some you have never heard of that were making ripples in the music pond back in the 60’s-70’s. You see, I believe the term “progressive rock” should be called "pioneer rock": it means those bands who were the pioneers of music; those bands who broke the boundaries that others shied away from - those artists with vision and a will to break away from the verse/chorus/verse ritual of the pop machine.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo...ts.asp?TID=969

I haven't had the time lately to work this new page on the main menu however, it is a minor inconvenience for a very good interview held eons ago with Mo. It is called the "Soul of Nektar."

I remember Roye saying that Nektar wasn't prog and how it became an unnecessary argument on PE...we all know Nektar is prog
    Last edited by cNektar; 11-24-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Classic Nektar lives on @ http://www.thenektarproject.com/

Clearly, Mo was prog

BG

"eons ago" -Quote - Jem records ? I guess so ...

I saw their show in Cleveland ...and was totally blown away....

Quote Originally Posted by lycialive View Post
    Yes, it's acrually right here.
    Oh, I recall reading it now. Thanks for the reminder. One could argue that the fact that every release was different is progressive.

This thread is as good as any to wish everyone
    A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR from Nektar w/ Larry Fast...
    from Long Island NY, 36 years ago!
    http://www.thenektarproject.com/biog...new_years.aspx

...and, because the designated Happy Birthday forum is now passed over by so many here...
    a huge HAPPY BIRTHDAY today to Ron Howden... the "most senior" member of Nektar.
    Still rackin' 'em, stackin' 'em & tappin' 'em. All the breast mate!

HI Mick!

Happy Birthday, Ron!!

Senior, my ass. Not the way you play!

So, Mick, has the "Tab" thread been archived here somewhere?