Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allan Holdsworth plays Zappa?? I had no idea.

Allan Holdsworth plays Zappa?? I had no idea.

I think its some kind of subtle joke going on here.
    Its a very simple context, but AH sounds awful.
    Either AH is having a VERY bad day, or he is funny. Either way, I dont get it.

As Pat Metheny stated in another YouTube clip, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, because some asshole with a cell phone will immortalize your very bad night for posterity. Take it down!

Well that sure was weird.

I've seen Holdsy a half dozen times and he's always been amazing. I've never heard him sound like that. But I think he's way out of his element here, playing over a two chord vamp with a reggae groove, of all things! Seems like he can't decide how to approach it... or maybe he just can't take it seriously, I don't know.

Honestly, I wish I hadn't seen that...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well that sure was weird.

I've seen Holdsy a half dozen times and he's always been amazing. I've never heard him sound like that. But I think he's way out of his element here, playing over a two chord vamp with a reggae groove, of all things! Seems like he can't decide how to approach it... or maybe he just can't take it seriously, I don't know.

Honestly, I wish I hadn't seen that...
    I agree.

Maybe a few two many brews.

I think his face says it all.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I agree.

Maybe a few two many brews.

I think his face says it all.

I'm sorry to say, I was thinking that too ....

What the hell? Could he not hear himself? Sounds like he couldn't even tell what key they were in.

It seems to me they picked the wrong song for him to guest on. He seems out of place, uncomfortable and unable to decide what to play that would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    It seems to me they picked the wrong song for him to guest on. He seems out of place, uncomfortable and unable to decide what to play that would fit.
    "No problem, Allan, it's only two chords. Just kind of noodle a pentatonic thing."

"ONLY TWO CHORDS?? AAAARRGGGHHHH!!!"

*Head explodes*

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    "No problem, Allan, it's only two chords. Just kind of noodle a pentatonic thing."

"ONLY TWO CHORDS?? AAAARRGGGHHHH!!!"

*Head explodes*
    He also can't stand straight repetitive drum grooves. In an interview, he said that drummers who just want to lay down a groove makes him want to tear his hair out.

He's lucky to have some to tear out!

So basically, this was the 3rd Circle Of Hell for him *lol* That sucks, Allan is in my top 5 guitarists, it hurts to see him gung out there like that.

Interesting that the crowd apparently couldn't tell or didn't care.

This thread is probably as good a place as any to post this: Holdsworth and Jeff Watson (Night Ranger) duking it out on "Play That Funky Music, White Boy." Actually, it worked a lot better than the above abomination.

Huh... yeah it does. Love the lick on the fade out. Watson's got some chops... Gah, apart from the soling that cover sux though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    As Pat Metheny stated in another YouTube clip, You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, because some asshole with a cell phone will immortalize your very bad night for posterity. Take it down!
    I would take it down but I can't find the delete button on the original post. I only see it on lower posts. HELP! me to learn if you want it removed please.

Rand, it was more of a general sentiment directed at the people who upload this kind of thing on YouTube.

Oh! Funny thing, I haven't listened to it yet. I just posted it thinking it would be awesome. Now I'm considering never listening to it.

yep, there is always someone who wants to upload a poor show or song--when there may be all kinds of reasons--venue sound, venue soundguy, someones got a bad cold, guitar goes out of tune etc. You can guarantee someone will always upload it! and then someone will say "they are crap" Thats the problem with Youtube.

i can't say that I have heard everything he's ever done, but holdsworth seems to be a one trick pony to me.

I would say he is a 'one of a kind stallion' - with a long extraordinary musical history!

And he is allowed to have a bad day once in a while. - And this wasn't his own show.

i haven't watched this clip yet, just making a general comment about holdsworth. i know he's huge for a lot of fans, and i know that he's influenced many because i've seen so many people try to copy his style, and i wonder why. lol zappa had more playing style variation in one show than holdsworth has had his entire career, lets be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    i can't say that I have heard everything he's ever done, but holdsworth seems to be a one trick pony to me.
    If you mean that he can't sound like anybody except Holdsworth, you're right. The thing is... that "one trick" would take years of intense study just to comprehend, let alone be able to actually play on guitar, or any instrument for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    zappa had more playing style variation in one show than holdsworth has had his entire career, lets be honest
    Honest?! It's just your opinion, not a fact.

hahahaha ya no worries, not tryin to troll or anything. iirc i became aware of him around his time with soft machine and then bruford, uk, etc etc etc ... i just wish he'd change it up a bit at times. the worst part about it is he has a million desciples out there doing the same thing, playing that same style through out a show. for me it's boring. i like guitarists who can vary their sound, their attack, their tones, etc, etc. jmo.