Thread: Pinnick, Gales, Pridgeon

Pinnick, Gales, Pridgeon

Just downloaded this debut a few days ago. Awesome stuff. Very retro psychedelic blues with an incredibly tight sound. Ginger Baker like drumming from Thomas Pridgeon of The Mars Volta. Dug and Eric trade lead vocal duties effectively. Some great somgwriting with a few extremely catchy hooks. Erics solos overpower a few of the songs, but He is an incredibly underrated guitarist who strongly evokes the sound and spirit of Hendrix throughout. Dug's vocals, esp. on the bluesier numbers are spot on, not as many growls or screams as with Kings X, but his bass work is more prominently mixed-which is a plus. Definitely the best new "supergroup" in a long time, and definetely a candidate for disc of the year! "Wishing Well", "Black Jeans", "Been so high{the only place to go is down}", and "The Greatest Love" are highlights, while "Sunshine of your love" is a killer remake of the Cream classic.
    Last edited by YESHEAD777; 07-30-2013 at 10:09 PM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for the review. I heard about the album but haven't heard it, or known anyone who has. Will seek it out.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I love Pinnick's voice and am a big King's X fan, not sure the style here is for me. I'll check out some samples though. But I refuse to call Doug Pinnick "Dug", just ridiculous. I know he's gone by that for a while now, but it's just plain dumb.

LOVE this record.....

The next album is already in the works according to Doug. And I agree, it is an excellent album. Almost as good as The Winery Dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by thx5150 View Post
    The next album is already in the works according to Doug. And I agree, it is an excellent album. Almost as good as The Winery Dogs.
    Im gonna check them out next.

This is one I've been wanting to get. Thanks for reminding me.

I agree with the review. Great hard rock record and I agree it's a candidate for best of the year. I've played the heck out of it since I bought it when it came out. Dug Pinnick said in an interview that the follow up album is in the works. The new Winery Dogs album is very good too if you are in that power trio, classic hard rock/blues mode. I'm enjoying the heck out of that one as well.

I really hope they tour....they would be a great opener for someone like ZZ Top. Get some exposure. Classic Rock in the truest sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    But I refuse to call Doug Pinnick "Dug", just ridiculous. I know he's gone by that for a while now, but it's just plain dumb.
    Actually, it's dUg now, which is even dumber But what the hell, he's an awesome dude and he can call himself what he wants... So, is King's X on the back burner now?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Actually, it's dUg now, which is even dumber But what the hell, he's an awesome dude and he can call himself what he wants... So, is King's X on the back burner now?
    Yes He can. they seem to be on the back burner as far as recording but they have toured on a limited basis this summer and are slated for the Progessive Nation Cruise in Feb.2014. I have to say this is a much stronger effort than anything Kings X hasdone since the late 90s or so, and I did like their last two alot.
    Last edited by YESHEAD777; 08-01-2013 at 06:11 AM.

I have Eric Gales' first coupla albums... he is one tasty Guitar player
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

This album kicks ass. Been listening to it for a few days now. Great playing all around, Pinnicks vocals are outstanding, loaded with juicy solos and there's plenty of crunch!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak