Thread: The Cult

The Cult

Anybody looking forward to the 'Electric' extended remaster & supporting tour?
    Last edited by Rufus; 07-29-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I have the Cult's latest album, can't recall the full title but "weapon" is included. Fantastic album from a seasoned band. I didn't know about Electric. I really love this band and have gotten many years of enjoyment for pretty consistent material. Never saw them live, came close way back, but would love to see them. I'd say they're underrated for whatever this overused term is worth.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have the Cult's latest album, can't recall the full title but "weapon" is included. Fantastic album from a seasoned band. I didn't know about Electric. I really love this band and have gotten many years of enjoyment for pretty consistent material. Never saw them live, came close way back, but would love to see them. I'd say they're underrated for whatever this overused term is worth.
    They're playing relatively small venues , in the UK at least so should be a good gig !

Great band.I saw them live 1986 on this gig.It was sunday evening and the last performer of the festival.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Anybody looking forward to the 'Electric' extended remaster & supporting tour?
    Do you have any info on this? Wikipedia has no info. Amazon says it will be released August 30th, while Best Buy says August 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Choice Of Weapon is the full title. I only have listened to it once since I bought it, but I do love it. Glad they reteamed with Bob Rock for that one. Btw, Wikipedia says that The Cult are working on an album for release next year. They site an interview with Billy Duffy as the source of their info.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Do you have any info on this? Wikipedia has no info. Amazon says it will be released August 30th, while Best Buy says August 1st.

Choice Of Weapon is the full title. I only have listened to it once since I bought it, but I do love it. Glad they reteamed with Bob Rock for that one. Btw, Wikipedia says that The Cult are working on an album for release next year. They site an interview with Billy Duffy as the source of their info.
    Have seen the track listing somewhere ? I know the 2nd disc will include the abandoned follow to Electric called 'Peace '.

The just played near me last Friday and I did not go, did not want to spend $45 to see them at one of the crappiest locations in Southern California. The Disneyland House of Blues is a truly horrible place, unless it is empty, for popular bands they over fill the place and you can't see and the place is wall-to-wall people, so you can't move either.. Plus their sound system is the worst in all of Southern California as well...!

I did see the Cult back around 1981 or 82, when they were called either Death Cult or Southern Death Cult, they played at a pool hall in Los Angeles somewhere, they were pretty cool as I recall...

They have a bunch of kick-ass songs like Wild Flower and Love Removal Machine, but overall I prefer their album "Love" over anything others they released...

I saw them twice on the Electric tour, once as a support act and once as a headliner (with GNR opening).

I listened to Electric a little while ago for the first time in years and it didn't really hold up that well for me. I still liked some of it, but I think I prefer the Manor sessions of most of these tracks over what Rubin did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Have seen the track listing somewhere ? I know the 2nd disc will include the abandoned follow to Electric called 'Peace '.
    Peace is the name of the follow up album to Love. It is also know as the Manor sessions. It contains most of Electric, but done in the vein of Love with production from Steve Brown. The band scrapped these versions and re-recorded them with Rick Rubin.

I'll probably end up getting this if these versions will be on the new release.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Peace is the name of the follow up album to Love. It is also know as the Manor sessions. It contains most of Electric, but done in the vein of Love with production from Steve Brown. The band scrapped these versions and re-recorded them with Rick Rubin.

Thanks for that, that's about what I remember reading!!!!

I lost track of the band after their second/third album Electric , which I thought was AC/DC-esque... I still have that Love album somewhere

EDIT: I just checked... apparently love was their 2nd album

Anybody ever heard that Dreamtime album (RYM seems to hint it's a double Lp)???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Manor Sessions"/Peace track listing [edit]
    All tracks appeared on Rare Cult in 2000. Tracks 1, 2, 5, 6, and 10 first appeared on The Manor Sessions EP in 1988. Tracks 7-9, and 11 were issued as B-sides to singles from the Electric album in 1987.

1."Love Removal Machine"
    2."Wild Flower"
    3."Peace Dog"
    4."Aphrodisiac Jacket"
    5."Electric Ocean"
    6."Bad Fun"
    7."Conquistador"
    8."Zap City"
    9."Love Trooper"
    10."Outlaw"
    11."Groove Co."

Yes, I much preferred the Manor Sessions mixes of the Electric songs....as much as I like Rick Rubin, I didn't appreciate what his approach did to The Cult's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Anybody ever heard that Dreamtime album (RYM seems to hint it's a double Lp)???
    It's not a double LP, at least not in its original incarnation. I personally *love* it....it's much more in the vein of Love, with a slightly less refined feel. It also contains my favorite Cult song, "Bad Medicine Waltz".

Banned
    In case anyone would like to know, I checked Amazon, Best Buy, and Wikipedia. Yes, the second disc will be the Manor Sessions. Upon finding this out, I put my copy of Electric in the "to sell" pile. I do have the 2 CD deluxe edition of Love.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchgx View Post
    It's not a double LP, at least not in its original incarnation. I personally *love* it....it's much more in the vein of Love, with a slightly less refined feel. It also contains my favorite Cult song, "Bad Medicine Waltz".

I thought so... but check out RYM's track list of that album...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

IIRC, the original CD included a bunch of b-sides mixed into the running order ala those early XTC albums. I have the original vinyl and it's deifinitely a single album.

It looks like they're including "Live at the Lyceum" which was a separate release. There may have been a reissue at some point that included it as a bonus disc, but Dreamtime is a 10-song single album.

Banned
    It looks like they're including "Live at the Lyceum" which was a separate release. There may have been a reissue at some point that included it as a bonus disc, but Dreamtime is a 10-song single album.
    Wait, I'm lost. Are we talking about Dreamtime or Electric?

I have that live at the Lyceum on VHS still, I think.

I double checked my CD of Dreamtime and it contains 13 songs. Including one of my favs "Bone Bag". They did a 10+ minute version of that when I saw them headline on the Electric tour. I have a cassette someplace of the show I saw.

When 'Dreamtime' was originally released initial copies came with a second bonus LP: 'Dreamtime Live', which was indeed the same show that came out somewhat later on VHS as 'Live at the Lyceum'. Memorable, I recall, not only for some great versions of the songs but also for Astbury berating what he perceived as the crowd's apparent lack of fervor: "We played our f--ing hearts out for you tonight", IIRC....

I bought 'Dreamtime' on cassette (!) when it came out: one side had the main album, the other the live.

That, I think, is why you're seeing it listed as a double in some places.

The last Cult-related thing I picked up was Astbury's collaboration with Boris, BXI, which has its moments, not least 'Rain' with Wata on vocals.

IIRC, the original CD included a bunch of b-sides mixed into the running order ala those early XTC albums. I have the original vinyl and it's deifinitely a single album.

I'll check it out some day by borrowing it from the library system.

Banned
    I bought Electric Peace at Best Buy today. I am currently listening to Peace first, then will move on to Electric later. I'm on Peace Dog now. Does anyone else have this CD yet? If so, is the echo effect on Ian's voice a defect?