Thread: Big Big Train News for 2013 -2014

Big Big Train News for 2013 -2014

I just received this e-mail update directly from Big Big Train on Sunday. Some exciting news contained within:

Album News

English Electric Full Power will be released in the early autumn and brings together the two English Electric CD's as a double album with four new tracks and with a 96 page booklet which tells the stories behind the songs and behind English Electric.

The four new tracks will also be released as a separate EP at a low-price to enable those who already own English Electric Parts One and Two to purchase the four new songs on CD without having to buy the double album. A free download of the Full Power booklet will be available for purchasers of the EP.

Both the double album and EP will also be available as downloads (with downloadable booklets.)

Alongside the CD releases, English Electric Part Two will be released on 180g heavyweight vinyl by Plane Groovy. The LP is a double album and includes all the songs from Part Two plus the four new tracks from English Electric Full Power.

Live News

Big Big Train is gearing up for some live performances. In 2014 the band is spending a week at Real World studios for a full dress rehearsal with the brass quartet and string players. The rehearsal will be filmed for DVD and Blu-Ray release.

Beer News

We know that many BBT listeners enjoy fine quality ales and the band has been working with Box Steam craft brewery to create the first Big Big Train beer which will be available in August.

Other News

Big Big Train has received two nominations (for 'best album' and for 'breakthrough act') in the Progressive Music Awards which will be held at Kew Gardens in September. If you wish to vote for BBT or for any of the other nominees you can find details of the awards here:
    http://www.progrockmag.com/news/prog...isted-in-full/

Nick is returning to England in September to do some more recording for the next Big Big Train studio album which will be released in 2015. Work on the 3 CD Station Masters retrospective is ongoing and we hope that Station Masters will be released in 2014.

Finally, a new tee-shirt to celebrate the release of the first BBT beer will also be available from The Merch Desk in August.

BBT on Facebook and Twitter

For the most up-to-date news and to communicate with the band and with other BBT listeners please find us on Facebook at:
    www.facebook.com/groups/bigbigtrain

and on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/bigbigtrain

Best wishes

Andy, Danny, Dave, David, Greg and Nick

Big Big Train

Cheers from Yesman1955
    Last edited by yesman1955; 07-29-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling

It seems this band is really picking up steam.

...I'll show myself out.

Great news!! Especially for us who feared that Big Big Train would only be a studio band and not a live performing band. Once again though it brings up the question whether Nick will be able to join them for gigs or only recording?

I can't wait to see these guys live. I'll be there even if it means traveling across the pond.

I'm hoping for a Rosfest appearance, I hear they've been courted in the past. Nick would be a super extra bonus if he can do the live drums, but I won't hold my breath. If they play Rosfest, maybe Simon Collins could sit in on drums?

Man, this good news.

There is also a BBT beer forthcoming?

Man, that is great news.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Nick's drumming on 'East Coast Racer' is the best I've ever heard it. Reminds me of the best work by Phil Collins in its non-showy, very musical character.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Big Big Bump!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    How does II compare to I? I like I a lot, a whole lot.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Great news... and look foward to the ep... already ordered the vinyl of EE2.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I much prefer EE1, though most folk here rated them evenly. All tracks, for what it's worth, were recorded at the same time.

Can't wait to hear these new ones. Love the EE volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I much prefer EE1, though most folk here rated them evenly.
    I got the impression that it was pretty widely thought that EE1 was the better of the two ... certainly that was my feeling, although it didn't stop me raving about the second volume as well. My personal feeling is that both albums are clear 5/5 albums, but EE1 was my joint favourite album of last year and EE2 is already unlikely to make my top three for this year. Other people who liked EE1 a lot have gone further, saying that the second volume is disappointing.

Personally I think it's worth bearing in mind the fantastically challenging task this album had: for two halves of the same double album to be even under consideration for album of the year in two consecutive years is setting BBT a target that I can't think of any other band ever being eligible for. Regardless of the slight dip in quality for the second disc overall, it will be very interesting to see where "East Coast Racer" turns up in favourite track polls, and I can't wait to hear the additional tracks on Full Power.

Is Station Masters a re-working of there earlier cd's, or is it just a re-mastering of the earlier cd's ? Specifically, is David Longdon going to re-do the vocal parts ?

Last I saw on progarchives, II was slightly ahead of I, but that was some time ago, but there you get results from hundreds rather than isolated opinions such as mine. I think most probably agree I might be slightly heavier overall than II, so those that prefer a heavier sound may prefer I, and those that prefer a more lovely sound may prefer II, but then there are both lovely and heavy moments on each, so... honestly I have a hard time imagining if one likes one, why not the other? They aren't that dissimilar, so I'd recommend it if you like the first one.

I don't know how to compare the two. Both grabbed my ears and wouldn't let go. At first EEI was my favorite and then II came out and it was my fovorite. Then I got tired of II and went back to I. Got tired of it and went back to II, etc., etc. To me, each one has its strengths and weaknesses and so I prefer to think of them as one big recording that I love! The addition of a couple more tracks will only add to that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Is Station Masters a re-working of there earlier cd's, or is it just a re-mastering of the earlier cd's ? Specifically, is David Longdon going to re-do the vocal parts ?
    It's songs from the band's earlier career completely re-recorded by the current line-up. The idea was to bring everyone up to speed with the back catalogue so that they can perform (a selection) live, so basically there should be no excuse whatsoever to pass on Station Masters!

^ That sounds really awesome! I thought it was just a "best of" collection. Guess I'll have to pick it up now, too.

I wonder how available the beer will be?

Thanks Sordel, that exactly what I was hoping for. I can't wait. I've been listening to BBT almost exclusively lately. I have both English Electric cd's , and love them, but I'm already thinking of getting the two disc package just for the booklet (I hate those e-books, I've already lost one of them).

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Last I saw on progarchives, II was slightly ahead of I, but that was some time ago, but there you get results from hundreds rather than isolated opinions such as mine. I think most probably agree I might be slightly heavier overall than II, so those that prefer a heavier sound may prefer I, and those that prefer a more lovely sound may prefer II, but then there are both lovely and heavy moments on each, so... honestly I have a hard time imagining if one likes one, why not the other? They aren't that dissimilar, so I'd recommend it if you like the first one.
    I'll check it out sometime then.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

chalkpie
    small small bus

I prefer EE2 (slightly), though picking between EE1 and EE2 is like choosing between the first and second LPs of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. The bottom line is that they (EE1 and EE2) are two halves of a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Father Tiresias View Post
    The bottom line is that they (EE1 and EE2) are two halves of a masterpiece.
    Sums it up perfectly.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?