Review from Sputnik Music:
    (Progressive Metal) Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

Dream Theater are:
    James LaBrie - Vocals
    John Petrucci - Guitars
    John Myung - Bass
    Derek Sherinian - Keyboards
    Mike Portnoy - Drums

This is an odd record. You will notice that there are only five tracks, but the record is nearly an hour long anyway! This is mostly aided by the fact that the title track is 23 minutes long. The record is in two parts, the epic "A Change of Seasons" which is recorded in a studio, and the other four songs, which were recorded live in Ronnie Scott's Jazz club in London. They are all cover tracks, featuring such artists as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and Queen. This record highlights the amazing-ness of the band - I didn't even know it was a live album until I read it somewhere on the Internet, even with the crowd cheering and such.

Anyway. Dream Theater, what a band! I picked this CD up as a random buy (I am a rather compulsive spender on CDs) for $12.50. Dream Theater is THE archetypical prog metal band, no doubt about it. They integrate time signature changes and tempos effortlessly. Both Petrucci and Portnoy are both ridiculously good at their instruments, both being one of the premier artists at their respective instruments. The other three members are also extremely competent.

The album cover is interesting, and raTher fun to look at. If you look at the front cover, you will see a little boy playing in what I initially thought to be a beach. But, as I was writing this, I noticed in fact he is playing snow, with only board shorts on. If you look on the back, however, you will see an Eskimo sitting on the beach in a hot climate. Not the best thing I have ever seen, but pretty cool nonetheless!

A Change of Seasons (23:06)
    As you can see on the album cover, this song is a medley. It is comprised of 7 parts with the song beginning "Crimson Sunrise", an arpeggiated riff on the acoustic, and ending pretty much the same way with "Crimson Sunset". The 7 part song is quite amazing, featuring uncuntable time signature changes, several style changes, and amazing solos. The time signatures can get a bit tiresome, especially the ones with just a beat out from 4/4 - namely 7/8 and 9/8 (played as normal time, not compound time... incredible) you can't really sink in with the beat. This is probably one of the best progressive metal pieces ever composed, and it is not hard to see why. Just listen to the damn thing. I am not quite sure what the lyrics are about, as they are quite dense, but no doubt they are about the different weather patterns, or something to do with seasons.

Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (10:49)
    You know those cover songs that bands do to become famous? And almost all of them completely destroy the song? Well, I'm pleased to say that instead of butchering it, Dream Theater have managed to surpass Elton John's version in terms of enjoyment and musically. Considering it is live is even more amazing. They haven't changed much from the original (thankfully) apart from the instrumentation, and it is an amazing song. This song is also a medley somewhat; the slower, instrumental bit at the start that goes for about 5 minutes is "funeral for a Friend" and the remaining faster bit is the "Love Lies Bleeding" section. The "Love Lies Bleeding" is probably my favourite song on the album, its very fun to listen to and has some great riffs in it, especially the piano in the verse. LaBrie's vocals are great as well. And there is a killer solo from Petrucci at the end of the song.

Perfect Strangers (5:33)
    Firstly, as I have not heard the original, I can't comment on which version is better. This version is pretty rocking though! Whilst pretty slow it makes up for it with heavy riffs and a killer bassline. (I can't imagine Myung playing something as simple as this! It must be killing him!) The bridge bit, again not knowing the original, is typical Dream Theater, a cool riff, but is let down a bit by the odd time signature. A pretty good song, but is not the best.

The Rover/Achilles Last Stand/The Song Remains the Same (7:28)
    Myung is a monster in this song. He pretty much doubles the pace of what Jones was playing in the Zeppelin's version of "Achilles Last Stand". Again (thankfully) they don't change it around much, and still make it sound amazing. This is a high paced and very enjoyable song. Petrucci again shows off his shredding skills in an amazing 1 minute + solo. "The Song Remains the Same" is really too short (under a minute) to really make an impact, but Dream Theater merge it perfectly with "Achilles"...

The Big Medley (10:34)
    This song features some big names of the 70s and 80s, like Pink Floyd, Queen and Genesis. This is a perfect arrangement of mammoth proportions, a six song medley spanning over 10 minutes. The most recognisable track, of course, is Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody missing the classic "Mamma Mia" bit, but included is the headbanging riff made famous by Wayne's World, done extremely well. The unforgettable guitar riff of "In the Flesh?" is present, and is done to perfection. "Carry on Wayward Son", I've never heard, but has some killer riffs in it. This is a pretty amazing song, but can get pretty boring in parts.

Overall: 4.5/5. Another top notch effort by Dream Theater, they show their brilliant musicianship in this record, and have produced yet another fun CD to listen to.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I will never forget the first time i heard the title track. I was on my way to work as i popped in the cd and promptly became blown away. This was significant for me because i was just learning about Progressive Rock and i read that Dream Theater were good and this happened to be in the local record store so i bought it. Lets just say i have never looked back.

One of my first DT discs and still a fave. Love the title cut and that Big Medley is still a killer. The Zep medley was a little weak, mostly because of the rhythm section: Portnoy was too busy and kept right on the beat, Myung was buried in the mix as usual and didn't have the authority of JPJ.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

The eons are closing
    The first time I heard Change of Seasons, Kevin Moore was still with the band and it was the Limelight show where the band premiered the video for "Take the Time" (note: this show was released on DT's Ytse Jam label later on)

Fast forward many moons....the studio version arrives and kicks ass. The covers...eh...not so much. Great choices, obvious and 'boring' execution.

ACoS, the track, is still the best 'tune' DT has recorded, IMO.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Banned
    Is this an e.p or full album?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Is this an e.p or full album?
    This release is considered an EP, being only 5 tracks long with only one new studio-recorded song.

This release would've been greater had they included early B-Sides "Eve", "To Live Forever" and "Don't Look Past Me" in addition to the epic "A Change Of Seasons", especially since the latter of those three has yet to be made available in any officially released disc (the first two have been released on singles and other compilations).

-Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Great [cover] choices, obvious and 'boring' execution.
    Yep, this is why I've never cared for any of DT's covers--they only do exact copies of the originals. What's the point? Fortunately the original track here is worth the price of the disc and then some.

Great disc, but I prefer the live version of the title track on Live Scenes From New York - that's the best version I've heard. Actually, I prefer the entire Scenes From A Memory live performance on there to the studio album as well!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Love this of course, THE epic of DT epics! The first time I heard the title track was actually live at a show I saw on the Awake tour, same night I discovered Echolyn, who were the opener. What a night that was, despite the overcrowded fire trap of a venue, the infamous "Birch-HELL" in NJ. I wasn't even aware of the song, and they announce they are gonna play a 23 minute epic. Was a bit too much to take in all at once, but I knew I needed to hear it again. I didn't know the song actually pre-dated much of the Images and Words album, and was originally hoped to be released on it. The studio effort did not disappoint, it's really a beautiful recording. I guess I'd prefer the work of Jordan Rudess on this, but Sherinian still put in a solid performance, his best effort with the band. If the disc was just 23 minutes long and didn't include the live material, I'd still be happy with it. But the live stuff is a lot of fun, I'm amazed when people critique it so much. It's bonus material, DT playing the music of some of their favorites, and pulling it off nicely.

This was a nice stop-gap effort, something to hold fans over until the next album, which we thought would be in 1996. But record label pressures and other assorted bullshit delayed things over a year, and nearly destroyed the band. After "Change", the world of DT would not be a happy place until 1999's "Scenes From A Memory". But "Change" was such a bright spot. And it's a song I can never just listen to a little of, if I start it I have to play the whole song through, I get really caught up in it. A prog masterpiece if you ask me.