Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How important is a perfect mix today?

I do not think there's any such thing as a perfect mix. The person mixing, apart from his skills with the board, also brings to hit his own ears and taste, and as such there's going to be total subjectivity involved. I mean, some things are "givens", like no vocal distortion, balance so that the instruments can all be heard, etc. but things like "is it a loud album", "what kind of EQ on the guitar" etc. are all artistic determinations. Even in commercial music where we tend to think of things as formulaic this applies. What's right to one person is not to someone else, as we can see from this thread. One has to put out what's in the heart AND the head and let the chips fall where they may. I do not get over-analytical about how things are mixed unless something sounds really off; after all, when my band gets done putting one of my pieces together it ALREADY sounds nothing like I envisioned it, so we try to let that creative act live in the mix.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

I do all my own mixes and mastering. My first two CD's sound positively horrible to me. Getting the mix right is as challenging to me as learning an instrument. Do I love the challenge? Absolutely! Am I very good at it? Not so much. But I AM getting better! One day, I'll be good.
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

The use of reverb, the sound of the snare and the sound of guitars are extremely important to me. I think a bad snare drum (well bad is subjective of course, it depends on your tastes) can ruin an album.

Same for guitars... In modern prog, I don't like the sound of the guitars most of the time

And reverb...

I love so much 70's production, the very dry drums, the way you could hear the bass guitar...

Quote Originally Posted by Sound Chaser View Post
    The use of reverb, the sound of the snare and the sound of guitars are extremely important to me. I think a bad snare drum (well bad is subjective of course, it depends on your tastes) can ruin an album.

Same for guitars... In modern prog, I don't like the sound of the guitars most of the time

And reverb...

I love so much 70's production, the very dry drums, the way you could hear the bass guitar...
    Agreed on many counts. The snare on Dream Theater's "Images & Words" for instance, or on Yes' "Big Generator"... yuk.

And yes, you USED to be able to hear the actual NOTES a bassist played!
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.