Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibes (the instrument) in Prog Music

Vibes (the instrument) in Prog Music

Just listened to some Wintergatan (a new swedish group recommended on this site) and am really enjoying the use of the vibes instrument and was wondering if anyone knows of other Progressive Rock groups that use it. I know about a lot of jazz and fusion groups that use it but am specifically intersted in Progressive Rock groups using it. TIA

Poli Palmer used vibes on several Family records.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Colosseum - extensively on Live
    Family - most of the releases up until Anyway

One of my fave Italian symphonic rock groups, Cervello, essentially applied vibes and glockenspiel as substitute for keys on their one and only album, Melos from 1973 - and boy did it work:

However, if there was one early progressive group using vibes in a substantial manner, it was Patto:

Magma are still using vibes to a significant degree these days. And Jaga Jazzist.

Obviously, some of the avant-progressive bands (Henry Cow, Albert Marcoeur, Maneige, Dün and countless others) favoured the less "sticky" xylophone.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Magma's vibes sounded awesome at Night of the Prog!

We (Sanguine Hum) use vibes, glock and marimba all the time, especially on the new one...but as much as we'd like to have the real thing we use authentic sounding samples played from a keyboard. But I did have some tuned percussion training years ago, which helps to apply the sounds in a convincing way.

There's some lovely Phil Collins vibes on the Lamb. They make a brief appearance in Burning Rope too. Kerry Minnear of course with GG was an epic vibist!

Matt.

Serge Bringolf's records Strave and Vision have a generous helping of vibes on 'em.

Ra Quintet-s/t cd(featuring our friend and PE member,drummer Rick Landwehr), has vibes aplenty.
    Last edited by walt; 07-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Ditto for Jagga Jazzist, such a great band, and of course Zappa. I know its not "Prog" but Tunnels is pretty heavy with midi vibes as well, though not from a purist standpoint for sure.

Marimba is nice too

check out Gong
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bondage Fruit have a vibes player. Isildurs Bane and Zappa have already been mentioned but allow me to second the recommendation. Also check out Horizon Digital by Edition Speciale, Mireille Bauer from Gong plays vibes and marimba on that one. Web/Samurai had a vibes player, too, check out I Spider.

Jode Leigh adds some vibes here and there to England’s Garden Shed and the Time album. The Italians Semiramis have tons of vibes and other tuned percussion on their Dedicato a Frazz. The second half of “Uno zoo di vetro” is a miniature symphony of vibes, bells, celeste and chimes.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Silas Stingy/Boris the Spider”-Space Negros/The Space Negros Do Generic Ethnic Muzak Versions of All Your Favorite Punk/Psychedelic Songs from the Sixties

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Bondage Fruit have a vibes player.
    Oh, and those first two BF records contain some of the most incredible vibes playing I ever heard in a rock band. And of course the Web/Samurai, Semiramis and others that you mentioned are way fabulous as well.

And how could I forget Sanguine Hum? Or Tortoise? Stereolab? Or lamented nowgones from Italy, Chance:Risiko (whom I believe used the sampler replacement as well, but very neatly).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Birth Control on their album Increase, the song "We All Thought We Knew You"
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Theres a lot of vibes on Gösta berlings sagas Glue works...on the third änglagård album there are loads of vibraphone, Marimba, xylophone, glockenspiels, tubular bells recorded but they were either democratically deleted or mixed very discreetly. Headphone candy for dogs.

Chance:Risiko were great. And Tortoise (along with FZ) are the main reason we use mallets...or imaginary mallets at least

Matt.

Kansas of course, on pieces like Magnum Opus.

Wait- are they prog??

Oh, and Gentle Giant here and there...

Ruth Underwood rules ! "On Ruth !"

Banned
    Didn't Steve Walsh play vibes on the Howling At The Moon section of Magnum Opus? Also, Kerry Minear of Gentle Giant played them.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Didn't Steve Walsh play vibes on the Howling At The Moon section of Magnum Opus? Also, Kerry Minear of Gentle Giant played them.
    Look 2 posts up. Well, 3 from this one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Look 2 posts up. Well, 3 from this one.
    Yeah, I noticed that just now. Sorry. That song was just in my head, because I listened to Leftoverture last night. I do know there are vibes on a track or two on Point Of Know Return. Also, since Steve is credited with vibes on Audio-visions, I assume that's him playing vibes on the middle section of No One Together.

Yeah, I noticed that just now.
    Great minds

I could be wrong but I think there are some vibes somewhere on GG's "three friends" album.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I could be wrong but I think there are some vibes somewhere on GG's "three friends" album.
    They're all over School Days. Or, it could be a xylophone?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    There’s a little bit on each of their first seven albums. Kerry Minnear played vibes and xylophone in addition to keys, cello and recorders.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Edging the Tongue”-Tea in the Sahara/Boomerang

Of course there's Bruford's solo albums.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

They're all over School Days. Or, it could be a xylophone?
    No, those are vibes alright; if you're thinking of the solo mid-section, that is. One of my fave GG passages altogether, btw.

Very little exceeds Colosseum's "Rope Ladder to the Moon" with Dave Greenslade whipping out his solo, though.