Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bands/artists that had a second coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    The Grateful Dead could fit this. They kind of lost their way in the '80s and Jerry had health problems. Then In the Dark came out, they were on MTV and they got a whole new generation of fans.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "lost their way". The Grateful Dead were never a top 40 proposition to begin with. But they never failed to play to packed houses, no matter the size of the venue. The band's performances varied widely in quality during the 80's, because of Jerry's drug use, but that never actually affected the band's drawing power.

Incidentally, the success of Touch Of Grey (the band's one and only top 10 hit) was a mixed blessing, as a lot of that "new generation of fans" served to create a situation where the band was getting banned from a lot of venues. It was to the point where the band was literally begging to people not show up unless they had tickets, and they also had to put the kebosh on the parking lot scene, because that was were all the trouble was coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "lost their way". The Grateful Dead were never a top 40 proposition to begin with. But they never failed to play to packed houses, no matter the size of the venue. The band's performances varied widely in quality during the 80's, because of Jerry's drug use, but that never actually affected the band's drawing power.

Incidentally, the success of Touch Of Grey (the band's one and only top 10 hit) was a mixed blessing, as a lot of that "new generation of fans" served to create a situation where the band was getting banned from a lot of venues. It was to the point where the band was literally begging to people not show up unless they had tickets, and they also had to put the kebosh on the parking lot scene, because that was were all the trouble was coming from.
    Well, not that the band was about the studio albums, but Go To Heaven was the only album released by the band between 1978 and In the Dark in 1987. The whole of the '80s prior to In the Dark is considered to be a low-point for the band, and '87 until Jerry's death is considered to have been a time of rejuvenation, renewal, and the band's height of popularity.

Well, not that the band was about the studio albums, but Go To Heaven was the only album released by the band between 1978 and In the Dark in 1987. The whole of the '80s prior to In the Dark is considered to be a low-point for the band, and '87 until Jerry's death is considered to have been a time of rejuvenation, renewal, and the band's height of popularity.
    Not quite. The "rejuvenation period was from late 86 (after Jerry recovered from his coma) until the early 90's. I think 91 or 92 is generally the last really strong year for the band. Somewhere around there, Jerry fell of the wagon again, and had another health scare in 93, and I don't think he ever quite recovered from that. Those last couple years are generally considered to be pretty weak by most fans.

I remember Dick Latvala saying once that he listened to all the 94 and 95 shows, and there was only a little from 94 and next to nothing from 95 that was worth releasing. Of course, that's just one man's opinion, but you'll notice the band has pretty much not released anything from those last couple years in any format. They've released a lot of late 80's and early 90's, but I don't think they've put out anything after 93.

Banned
    Go To Heaven was released in '80, not '78. Shakedown Street was released in '78.

Black Sabbath certainly had years in the wilderness before the Dio era put them back on the map !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Black Sabbath certainly had years in the wilderness before the Dio era put them back on the map !
    Only two, my friend. In America, people tend to forget the Tony Martin era.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Only two, my friend. In America, people tend to forget the Tony Martin era.
    But the Tony Martin era didn't provide the success they had with Ozzy. Tours & albums sold poorly !!!

In Australia we had a band in the seventies called Sherbet (Sherb's overseas I think) who were big here and had a hit in the UK, "Howzat". In the early eighties their singer, Daryl Braithwaite (awesome pipes) may have been spotted on building sites as a brickies labourer. He subsequently relaunched in the late eighties/early nineties and was back to the top of our charts.

I would say in most people's perspective, at least here in the USA, the Sabs were strong with Ozzy, stayed strong with Dio, faded with Gillian and then didn't exist until the reunion concerts with Ozzy again.

The Stone Roses.

Go To Heaven was released in '80, not '78. Shakedown Street was released in '78.
    I didn't say or imply that it was released in 1978. I said that it was released *between* 1978 (Shakedown Street) and 1987 (In The Dark).

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I would say in most people's perspective, at least here in the USA, the Sabs were strong with Ozzy, stayed strong with Dio, faded with Gillian and then didn't exist until the reunion concerts with Ozzy again.
    Your right, but they do fit the criteria of a second coming as a result of the success of their latest album ! As you say the Gillan & subsequent years were the wilderness years. Certainly in the UK they had resorted to playing the college circuit during the Eric Martin years!
    Last edited by Rufus; 07-26-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Your right, but they do fit the criteria of a second coming as a result of the success of their latest album ! As you say the Gillan & subsequent years were the wilderness years. Certainly in the UK they had resorted to playing the college circuit during the Eric Martin years!
    I think you mean Tony Martin. Although the Martin years were not all that succesfull, "Headless Cross" charted fairly well and the title track got a lot of headbangers ball airplay back in the day. They were no longer playing arenas, but were still able to fill large theaters. They never went all the way back to club level that I know of.

Steve Sly

Your right, but they do fit the criteria of a second coming as a result of the success of their latest album ! As you say the Gillan & subsequent years were the wilderness years.
    Right- I was actually agreeing that they fit the criteria with the reunion with Ozzy constituting the second coming. Actually, then the Heaven and Hell version of the band with Dio had its own little resurgence when they toured that album...

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Some good choices so far, I would also include Lynyrd Skynyrd in this category.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    Kiss - they hit rock bottom around the time of The Elder, at least in the US. I think they were still huge in South America or someplace like that. But once they took off the makeup for the Lick It Up tour, they became huge again here in the States.
    ...then they hit rock-bottom again in 1992 where they played to only about 6,000 per show. They had another second coming in 1996 when they put the makeup back on. For that tour, they were once again selling out multiple nights in New York at Madison Square Garden (3 shows) and Los Angeles at the Forum (3 shows) as well as touring to sold-out shows on their 96/97 tour. ** KISS' vhs/dvd release documenting their reunion is titled "The Second Coming"

It is interesting to note that their original run in makeup was from 74-82, which spans 8 years. Currently, they have been in makeup from 1996-today -- 17 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [Dont agree with Yes. Their last album Drama before the Rabin era still sold well & the supporting tour sold out . They just went away for a couple of years ! ]

I totally agree with YES being mentioned. They are a great example. Regardless of how you feel about 90125 it was a huge success for them. Drama didn't do much commercially. It didn't even go gold. Aside from that Yes broke up after it and weren't even around for a few years. 90125 was Yes's biggest selling album ever.
    Have to disagree in relation to the purpose of the thread. Whilst Drama omay not have sold as well as previous albums it certainly didn't bomb, achieving very respectable chart positions around the globe. It made the Billboard top 20 so that can't be deemed a failure even Stateside. Most bands would have killed for that. The album was critically well recieved and remains a classic to many Yes fans .Regardless of what people thought of the tour it sold out which means it was successful. I queued for eight hours for a ticket for a show in Leicester, many fans had been qeuing all night and they knew Anderson & Wakeman weren't in the band. I can't speak of how they were recepted at other UK gigs but at the Leicester De Montford Hall they did three encores. I just don't see how anyone can say Drama & it's subsequent tour was not a success ? Like I said, the band went into an hiatus for a couple of years but they never had an unsuccessful period between Tomato & 90125. That just didn't happen!

BTW, I love the Rabin era !
    Last edited by Rufus; 07-26-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Have to disagree in relation to the purpose of the thread. Whilst Drama may not have sold as well as previous albums it certainly didn't bomb, achieving very respectable chart positions around the globe. It made the Billboard top 20 so that can't be deemed a failure even Stateside.
    +1

Banned
    But the Tony Martin era didn't provide the success they had with Ozzy. Tours & albums sold poorly !!!
    The Tony Martin era was not big the in the UK?

The Tony Martin era was not big the in the UK?

Correct , they had become more of a cult band at that point !

Banned
    Have to disagree in relation to the purpose of the thread. Whilst Drama omay not have sold as well as previous albums it certainly didn't bomb, achieving very respectable chart positions around the globe. It made the Billboard top 20 so that can't be deemed a failure even Stateside. Most bands would have killed for that. The album was critically well recieved and remains a classic to many Yes fans .Regardless of what people thought of the tour it sold out which means it was successful. I queued for eight hours for a ticket for a show in Leicester, many fans had been qeuing all night and they knew Anderson & Wakeman weren't in the band. I can't speak of how they were recepted at other UK gigs but at the Leicester De Montford Hall they did three encores. I just don't see how anyone can say Drama & it's subsequent tour was not a success ? Like I said, the band went into an hiatus for a couple of years but they never had an unsuccessful period between Tomato & 90125. That just didn't happen!

BTW, I love the Rabin era !
    Drama was critically well-received? Thought that critics hated prog? Drama was a failure to regards to the band breaking up. When they came back in '83, the had a new member and a new sound.

Drama was critically well-received? Thought that critics hated prog? Drama was a failure to regards to the band breaking up. When they came back in '83, the had a new member and a new sound.

Do you research , it was well recieved by the music press in the UK . The NME review read 'The Buggles bring Yes into the 80's'. A band breaking up dosnt necessarily reflect they did it because of lack of success ...doe The Beatles come to mind ?

Drama was critically well-received? Thought that critics hated prog? Drama was a failure to regards to the band breaking up. When they came back in __, they had a new member and a new sound.
    Couldn't some of that argument be made about "Drama"? Certainly nowhere near the pop of 90125 but one can argue that the blueprint for that was certainly laid here............and they had two new members, both of which were part of a "synth-pop" project. The sound may lean toward classic-Yes but its still a "newer" sound, to me

your mileage may vary

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Couldn't some of that argument be made about "Drama"? Certainly nowhere near the pop of 90125 but one can argue that the blueprint for that was certainly laid here............and they had two new members, both of which were part of a "synth-pop" project. The sound may lean toward classic-Yes but its still a "newer" sound, to me

your mileage may vary
    To me, Drama still has the Yes sound, and sounds nothing like Yeswest.

To me, Drama still has the Yes sound, and sounds nothing like Yeswest.
    Doesn't sound like the same band that did "Relayer" or "Tales of Topographical Oceans" either