Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Under The Dome (TV show)

I finally finished the book. I didn’t love it but it kept me interested enough to want to keep reading. I thought the ending was stupid, but I’d been warned not to expect much…so I wasn’t disappointed. However, I think the book needed one more chapter.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT

In order to make this a true horror story in the spirit of Stephen King horror, I think a last chapter or Epilogue was needed in which a dome fell on another town somewhere else on the planet. I didn’t mind the ending of being ants under a microscope, but to expect that it wouldn’t happen again on Earth was almost too much of a relief. A better ending would be to have to live on earth in fear that you might be caught under the dome next.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

In order to make this a true horror story in the spirit of Stephen King horror, I think a last chapter or Epilogue was needed in which a dome fell on another town somewhere else on the planet. I didn’t mind the ending of being ants under a microscope, but to expect that it wouldn’t happen again on Earth was almost too much of a relief. A better ending would be to have to live on earth in fear that you might be caught under the dome next.
    Agreed, that would have been a better ending.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I finally had the chance to watch the finale today. Some of the acting and writing was really poor. The guy who plays Big Jim (love him in Breaking Bad) tries to bring this mess up a few notches, but there is only so much he can do. I don’t know that I will be on board for season 2.

Steve Sly
    Likewise, Steve. I thought that the premise was really intriguing, and I did enjoy some of the earlier episodes. One of the things that attracted me to the series was the fact that it was originally announced as a limited series. There would be an ending. Once the show proved popular, they announced a second series. This worried me. What kind of ending could I expect from this season's finale? Well, I guess we all found out. Somewhat interesting, but pretty underwhelming. Not a lot of answers. I doubt that I will be back for season 2.

I just saw an announcement that UtD season two, starts in June (no specific date given). Now that I've read the book and know that the two are nothing alike, it'll be interesting to see how the TV story moves forward. But if it stays as cheesy as the 2nd half of last season, I may not make it through the summer.

In many ways, the set-up of this show is a lot like Lost. There is a definate story unfolding (as opposed to stand alone episodes), you can't stray from your location or number of characters involved (although Lost found a way around that with different time lines...this is much more challenging for UtD), there is a mystery trying to be solved by both the character and the viewers. And a conspiracy going on.

I think that the writers of this show should look at Lost to see what works and what doesn't. It might help them stay on track and create something good. I really enjoyed the first half of the first season. I didn't like the second half as much. I'll give S2 a chance, but only time will tell if it holds my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I just saw an announcement that UtD season two, starts in June (no specific date given). Now that I've read the book and know that the two are nothing alike, it'll be interesting to see how the TV story moves forward. But if it stays as cheesy as the 2nd half of last season, I may not make it through the summer.

In many ways, the set-up of this show is a lot like Lost. There is a definate story unfolding (as opposed to stand alone episodes), you can't stray from your location or number of characters involved (although Lost found a way around that with different time lines...this is much more challenging for UtD), there is a mystery trying to be solved by both the character and the viewers. And a conspiracy going on.

I think that the writers of this show should look at Lost to see what works and what doesn't. It might help them stay on track and create something good. I really enjoyed the first half of the first season. I didn't like the second half as much. I'll give S2 a chance, but only time will tell if it holds my interest.
    "Dome" had the potential to be a new "Lost", but the writing and acting are no where close. I have not decided if I am going to watch season 2 or not. I also read the book and was hoping for better. I will probably give it a shot again though.....

Geez, for all the hate for the acting in this series one would think this was about Plan 9 or Manos or some other REALLY crappy flick. I'm not saying they should win awards for the acting in this, but come on, it ain't that bad.

I sure don't see as much bitching in the Walking Dead thread about how they changed that from the original story. So what's the difference here?

Just because a show isn't great like, say, Breaking Bad, doesn't mean it's completely awful. It's a ok show, somewhere in the middle of the scale, somewhat fun if you have read the book(I like the different take, as SK said, it would be boring if it were exactly the same) and gives me something to watch in the summer months when there isn't much on.

Heck, it's not even close to the worst SK adaptation made. Ever seen Lawnmower Man or The Running Man? Now, those WERE awful, horrid even. Way worse than UTD.

I realise that we are all entitled to our opinions and may not agree on this but seriously, can anyone here do a better acting job? I sure as hell can't, that I know for a fact, so how can you be so critical of the acting when I doubt anyone here could do a better job? Now, writing, that's different and I'm sure some of the bright minds here possibly could do better(or worse, if it were me, but I stink as a writer).

Now, someone, somewhere need to get off their duff and write a screenplay for The Long Walk. THAT'S a movie I want to see in my lifetime. Probably screw it up like most SK adaptations, but hey, I'd still go see it anyway.

The way I se it, I'll wait until it's over and seen what they have for us before I make a opinion on the show as a whole. I watched How I Met Your Mother for years, love it most of the time, and will NEVER watch it again after how they ruined it. Things can change and maybe UTD will get better - the exact opposite of my HIMYM as it got worse as it went on. They changed that for the worse, so maybe this can change for the better.

Just so you know, I don't - yet - agree with some of the changes in UTD but I'll stick with it as it might have some cool things come out of those changes. You never know. Heck, it's not like there have been bunches of SK adaptations that were really good. Most are pretty bad to awful and so far I put UTD above most of them. Also for the record, I'd take UTD ANY DAY over that piece of crap that was Lost, as it was mentioned here. I don't know how/why anyone watched that cinematic tripe. Well, different strokes and all that. If you like it, good for you. I thought it was horrible and never finished after a season or two.

With respect to the acting. The only REALLY bad actor IMO is the guy who plays Junior. Reminds me of Keanu Reeves who, in spite of his huge success, is not a good actor. Again IMO. As for acting better? Yeah, I could. I acted as a kid and I have no doubt that I could do a better job than some of the folks on this show.

I don't hate the show. I loved it at first. It slowed down for me towards the end. But I'm still intrigued. I had not yet read the book when S1 aired so I didn't know how different it was from the book. But now that I do I'm actually even more intrigued to see where the show goes.

I hope they air, at least, the last episode of S1 before starting S2 as a reminder of where we were. It's been almost a year and I really don't remember a lot about where things left off. Plus, my mind is now mixing the TV story and the book story so I'm doubly confused. LOL!

Just to be fair......I made my comments in comparison to "LOST" which I was a major fanboy of. The writing and acting in lost were at a much higher level than "Dome". That being said, I would agree that "Dome" is a middle of the road show. Not great, but not terrible either. I think my expectations were higher, but we'll see how this season goes.....

I found this teaser on the Canadian network's website. I don't know if you will all be able to view it or not. The start date for the show is June 30 and Stephen King wrote the premier. That makes me hopeful!

http://www.globaltv.com/underthedome...rthedome/video

If you enjoyed the first half of the season, it's probably worthwhile reading the book. Although the book and TV series are totally different right out of the gate...I read the book after watching season one and enjoyed it for the most part. It was a bit long, but the characters were interesting. Although I think the ending could have been slightly altered for a better ending as per one of my previous posts somewhere in this thread (spoiler alert if you go looking for it). But all-in-all it was a good read if you like King.

Wow...the awfulness took over where it left off. Don't think this one will last with me.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Wow...the awfulness took over where it left off. Don't think this one will last with me.
    Just when you thought it couldn't get worse...Season 2 begins. I think I am just going to DVR the series finale just to see what they came up with to explain the dome.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I haven't watched it yet...but you've certainly lowered my expectations. And they weren't very high to begin with.