Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another Billy Sherwood produced tribute album!

billy remains the king of tribute cds,as far as i know.i would hate for him to remembered from t
    his.vlcsnap-2013-07-18-22h48m21s105.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reginod View Post
    Actually, a babe that loves a good blunt and rocks a bikini can't be all bad . . . . . . . . .
    You obviously haven't heard any music from that bag of bones.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Abracadabra, which was already one of the most annoying songs ever recorded.
    Oh, my God, amen. I remember listening to it again twenty years later and thinking, "Could he POSSIBLY have made it any more repetitive and dreary?" Seriously. And it was a hit. "A lot of people like it" doesn't count as a defense of this stuff.

I actually really love the SM song "Serenade", which doesn't appear to be on this tribute. That song has always appealed to me. I'm not much of a fan otherwise, and I agree that some of his lyrics are pretty poor, for what that's worth. (Rhyming "Texas" with "Facts is"?!) - as for "Abracadabra", I recall it was covered in the 90s(?) by Sugar Ray.

Say what you will about Billy, he sure knows how to assemble a cast of players!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Abacadabra was clearly Steve's band on the decline. Fly Like An Eagle was the peak for me. Everyone has dogs in their catalog - ever heard Invisible Touch?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Everyone has dogs in their catalog - ever heard Invisible Touch?
    Yeah, that's by that band that did "Congo", right?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They don't have a long shelf-life at all. They were stale 20 years ago.
    This is your opinion, Scott. Living In The USA, Space Cowboy, The Joker, Fly Like An Eagle, Take The Money And Run, Jet Airliner, Swingtown, and Abracadabra all get much airplay today. This DJ that I listen to that plays some underground stuff even slips in I Want To Make The World Turn Around, as that's the only song featuring Kenny G that I'll listen to. Has anyone that's bashing Mr. Miller actually listened to any of his albums? Something like Fly Like An Eagle is well put together. I used to write off the SMB as pop fluff, but buying the 30th anniversary of Fly Like An Eagle did change my mind. High-quality stuff. Hell, Nektar covered the Fly Like An Eagle title track.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Your own personal opinion of his music is in direct contrast to the fact that his songs are still in heavy rotation on classic rock radio, not to mention that Steve Miller continues to sell out tour after tour based solely on his post early '70's catalog. The dude had a double-album 'best of' before he even recorded 'The Joker'. His great great great grandkids will be living off his royalties. If that's not a long shelf-life, then I don't know what is.
    Wow, you and I actually had the same thought. I greatly enjoy listening to the 30th anniversary edition of Fly Like An Eagle on a nice pair on headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    This is your opinion, Scott.
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    No problem. By your previous statement, I take it that you don't listen to the radio much.

This is your opinion, Scott.
    Reading Miles Davis' autobiography, he mentioned that he used to be placed by concert promoters on the bill with rock acts after he went electric. He did several concerts with Steve Miller. Miles said that Steve Miller was one of the worse musicians that he ever knew (paraphrasing here as he used much more coarse language). Before you crucify me, that was Miles opinion not mine. I'm pretty indifferent to Steve Miller.

Banned
    Miles Davis said a lot of stupid shit. He was no sage. Certainly not one to admire for his wisdom. He played a real good horn. That was about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Reading Miles Davis' autobiography, he mentioned that he used to be placed by concert promoters on the bill with rock acts after he went electric. He did several concerts with Steve Miller. Miles said that Steve Miller was one of the worse musicians that he ever knew (paraphrasing here as he used much more coarse language). Before you crucify me, that was Miles opinion not mine. I'm pretty indifferent to Steve Miller.
    I understand. I was in the same boat, until I saw a making of Fly Like An Eagle doc on VH1. Around the same time, I also saw some concert footage of Steve jamming with Joe Satriani. I blame the radio for making people sick of Steve Miller. Btw, he does a great version of Sam Cooke's You Send Me on Fly Like An Eagle.

I saw Steve Miller in '78 and he couldn't even play his own guitar lick on Jet Airliner right. I mean, not even close. So yeah, as musician he does seem to sort of suck. But he's written catchy tunes and he has a definite singing style that works so I don't think it matters. That's why he hires a good band.

Banned
    I saw Steve Miller in '78 and he couldn't even play his own guitar lick on Jet Airliner right. I mean, not even close. So yeah, as musician he does seem to sort of suck. But he's written catchy tunes and he has a definite singing style that works so I don't think it matters. That's why he hires a good band.
    Could it be that Mr. Miller had an off night?

Could it be that Mr. Miller had an off night?
    It could be he ate 4 sheets of blotter acid or something. But then, here he is years later still not playing it right...

Here's the right way, in case Steve ever wants to watch it...

Again, at the end of the day I think Steve is fine at what he does, and as good as he needs to be. No one is asking him to play like Van Halen...

Banned
    I've seen Steve Miller on several occasions and never once did he disappoint. His ability exceeds most. He plays his ass off and he never phones it in. It's one thing if you don't like his stuff or even if you're just tired of hearing it, but as a musician and a songwriter, he's far ahead of the pack.

Banned
    Here's the right way, in case Steve ever wants to watch it...
    You're one of those guys who wants it to sound just like the record. Go to an Eagles concert, if that's the case. You're comparing a thirty year old video of a live performance to some dude sitting in a quiet room playing the thing note for note? C'mon!

You're one of those guys who wants it to sound just like the record. Go to an Eagles concert, if that's the case. You're comparing a thirty year old video of a live performance to some dude sitting in a quiet room playing the thing note for note? C'mon!
    No, I'm not. It's an easy lick. It's the signature of the song. It's the only thing that's remotely interesting about that song (not one of Steve's best, imo). I can play it and I barely play guitar. Read the thread, I'm sticking up for Steve. Good songwriter (well, here and there), great band, great records, good singer, all that. I just think he's a shitty guitar player.
    Last edited by trurl; 07-24-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Banned
    I just think he's a shitty guitar player.
    But, of course, you're wrong.

But, of course, you're wrong.
    I did say he's as good as he needs to be didn't I

Banned
    No, I'm not. It's an easy lick. It's the signature of the song. It's the only thing that's remotely interesting about that song (not one of Steve's best, imo). I can play it and I barely play guitar. Read the thread, I'm sticking up for Steve. Good songwriter (well, here and there), great band, great records, good singer, all that. I just think he's a shitty guitar player.
    How is calling someone a shitty guitarist sticking up for them?

Coming from a Brit i'm surprised there's so little love for Steve Miller from Stateside posters. I'm only familiar with the hits but I do enjoy them!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    You never know, his version just might reach out and grab ya.