Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot CDs In A Car

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'd prefer hot chicks in my car.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd prefer hot chicks in my car.
    The cds might be mistaken for chicks- look carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd prefer hot chips in my car.
    chips loose their crispyness when heated up in a car... prefer using the kitchen oven...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    chips loose their crispyness when heated up in a car... prefer using the kitchen oven...
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Toaster ovens however are difficult to commute in.

Got a slightly different angle on this problem. Temperatures aren't usually that hot here in UK (normally - it's 32C today !). My problem is that it's the player itself that really heats them up - when they come out they're almost too painful to touch ! In fact the whole dashboard area gets hot, but the garage says that nothing is amiss. Any views ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    One thing I NEVER did was lend record to anyone. I don't lend out CDs either.
    Wished I had stuck to that policy.. lost many a record at a party when someone said "Why don't you bring...."
    More to point.. I've had plenty of cassettes melt in a hot car over the years.. I don't trust CD's in a car as a result.. I have what I want to
    listen to on my Zune mp3 player ... only thing I have to remind myself is to put it under the seat when I'm gone for extended periods of time
    to protect the screen.. a friend of mine has an Ipod and the screen on his was "burned" by the sun from leaving it exposed to the sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Got a slightly different angle on this problem. Temperatures aren't usually that hot here in UK (normally - it's 32C today !). My problem is that it's the player itself that really heats them up - when they come out they're almost too painful to touch ! In fact the whole dashboard area gets hot, but the garage says that nothing is amiss. Any views ?
    My CD player is mounted too damn near the heating controls & vent, even playing the radio it tends to get very hot on long drives. Just poor design in the centre console I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    Well, I've always had non-manufacturer car hi-fi installations (such as Kernwood or Pioneer) warm up my CDs and cassettes... but never to the point that it became too hot to touch... My take is that these very small compact electronic gizmos are to tight to include aproper ventilation, therefore the heat is not evacuated the same way, since inside the dashboard...

However, in my Saab (2009), since it's a quality installation, I went for the original manufacturer stereo, which is much bigger (but it's not likely to be stolen, since it can only be fitted in another Saab >> who steals car hi-fi stuff anymore, anyway?), but my Cds still heat up, despite the bigger dashboard space allotted to the music centre.
    So probably that the ventilation is not an issue for CD players, maybe also because of dust issue on the lazer lens
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This is gonna sound strange (or maybe not). Some CDs (not CDrs) that have been mastered "hot" or compressed/brickwalled/whatever tend to get really hot in the car player. I know, I'm chuckling too, but it seems true. Whenever I play Death Magnetic (the actual CD, not a CDr) and I take it out of the player, it's hot. It's not warm, it's hot.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Smartphone is the only way to go IMHO. You've gotta have a phone anyway so why not have one that doubles as a 900 disc changer and also has Spotify on it? You leave the car and the phone comes with. No worrying about CDs getting too hot or falling into the Bermuda Triangle while you're trying to swap them out and no worry about leaving a dedicated mp3 player in the car either. I'm jealous because I just have a lowly line in jack while my wife's car has Bluetooth or fully integrated controls if you connect via USB.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm lucky enough to have a USB port in my car, so I've just loaded up a few thumb drives with various genres of music and I'm good to go.

To anyone considering a car with this option, I highly recommend it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah, I was going to recommend the trunk, or cover them with a towel, or burn CDrs of them. Either way should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Smartphone is the only way to go IMHO. You've gotta have a phone anyway so why not have one that doubles as a 900 disc changer and also has Spotify on it? You leave the car and the phone comes with. No worrying about CDs getting too hot or falling into the Bermuda Triangle while you're trying to swap them out and no worry about leaving a dedicated mp3 player in the car either. I'm jealous because I just have a lowly line in jack while my wife's car has Bluetooth or fully integrated controls if you connect via USB.
    For that you need a car manufactured in this century.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    For that you need a car manufactured in this century.
    If your car stereo has an unused input for a CD changer then you can add an external line in even with an older car.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'd suggest burning copies of your CDs for use in the car. That's what I do.
    leave them in the car unprotected and the sun will burn copies onto your car rug for you
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...