Thread: APP’s I Robot Gets Anniversary Reboot

APP’s I Robot Gets Anniversary Reboot

I pasted & copied this from the Prog Magazine website. I recently started a thread asking for APP reccomendations & you guys put this high on the list. Somebody did mention that it would be best hanging on a while as expanded & remasters where in the pipeline! I understand they have already been had such treatment in the past so was wondering how this release compares with the previously expanded 'I Robot' ? Do the extras sound tempting ?

Home > News >

2 Comments Martin Kielty at 06:01pm July 16 2013

Alan Parsons Project‘s classic album I Robot is to be launched in a Legacy Edition to mark its 35th anniversary.

The remastered 1977 album will be packaged with a second disc of bonus material, including nine previously unreleased tracks.

It’s been overseen by Parsons himself, alongside Sally Woolfson, daughter of late songwriter, vocalist and manager Eric.

Parsons and Woolfson were inspired by Isaac Asimov’s 1950 book of short stories entitled I, Robot – but had to drop the comma from their title for copyright reasons. Despite that, Asimov encouraged their efforts, and the result was APP’s first-ever platinum record, including the hit single I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You.

Guest singers included Allan Clarke of the Hollies and Steve Harley of Cockney Rebel, while the principal musicians were guitarist Ian Bairnson and bassist David Paton of Pilot, plus drummer Stuart Tosh and keyboardist Woolfson.

Parsons says in his new liner notes: “The album looks at the questions and the extent to which, as human beings, we may or may not be pre-programmed and act in a robotic fashion, as well the dangers of uncontrolled development of artificial intelligence.”

The success of I Robot is partly attributed to its release coinciding with the launch of George Lucas’ first Star Wars film. Parsons says: “I have a fond memory of going to see the movie. The buzz was at its height and I remember hearing the cheers of the crowd at the end of the previous screening. It was clear that our timing was impeccable – there was a whole new generation of sci-fi lovers.”

The Legacy Edition of I Robot is released on September 16. Alan Parsons tours Italy, Germany, Luxembourg and Austria from July 19 to August 6.

CD One
    1. I Robot
    2. I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You
    3. Some Other Time
    4. Breakdown
    5. Don’t Let It Show
    6. The Voice
    7. Nucleus
    8. Day After Day (The Show Must Go On)
    9. Total Eclipse
    10. Genesis Ch.1 V.32

CD Two
    1. US Radio Commercial for I Robot
    2. Boules (I Robot Experiment)
    3. Hilary Western Soprano Vocal Rehearsal
    4. Extract 1 from The Alan Parsons Project Audio Guide
    5. Extract 2 from The Alan Parsons Project Audio Guide
    6. I Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You (Backing Track Rough Mix)
    7. Some Other Time – Complete vocal by Jaki Whitren
    8. Breakdown (Early demo of backing riff)
    9. Extract 3 from The Alan Parsons Project Audio Guide
    10. Breakdown – The Choir
    11. Don’t Let It Show (Eric Woolfson demo)
    12. Day After Day (Early Stage Rough Mix)
    13. Genesis Ch.1 V. 32 – Choir Session
    14. The Naked Robot

I think that most of these tracks were on the remasters a few years ago. No need to shell out your cash for this edition. It also doesn't mention a fresh remaster (which it doesn't need BTW) so my guess is it is just a repackaging (at a premium price?) of the most recent remaster.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think the main difference is that this one is called "The Legacy Edition."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think the main difference is that this one is called "The Legacy Edition."
    Actually, a lot of those bonus tracks look new to me, if we're comparing with the 30th anniversary. Not sure how desirable they are, but they certainly seem to be new.

sadly no 5.1 remix :-( I would LOVE one...

The DVD-A release of I Robot is awesome. Stereo only but hi res.

Here's some info from an Interview with Alan on innerviews.com last February:

This is set to be a big year for you with a series of intriguing archival Alan Parsons Project releases. Tell me about them.

We’ve got a box set of the entire catalog coming out in the summer, as well as a re-release of I Robot, to coincide with its 35th anniversary this year. Both are in the early stages. I just found out the label wants to do it. I’ll be handling the remastering, as well as adding some new bonus material we’ve dug out of the archives.

I understand The Sicilian Defence, the long-shelved Alan Parsons Project album, is included in these reissues.

Yes, we’ve been coaxed into putting out that mysterious album. It was made almost as a throwaway, contractual obligation album. It was made very quickly. We delivered Eve and The Sicilian Defence simultaneously and told the label “There are your last two albums. Now, give us a new deal.” [laughs] There were all kinds of politics that went on at the time. The Sicilian Defence is very instrumental. I don’t think there’s a single vocal on it. We’ve been pretty protective of it. I haven’t even possessed a copy of it since 1979 when it was made. Don’t hold your breath on this one. It’s interesting, but not the greatest piece of work.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

The last round of APP remasters sounded awful, so I wouldn't have much hope for this.

Funny, I remember hearing about The Sicilian Defense the last time we talked about all of this, but don't remember that it was all instrumental.

Very interesting....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    We’ve got a box set of the entire catalog coming out in the summer, as well as a re-release of I Robot, to coincide with its 35th anniversary this year. Both are in the early stages. I just found out the label wants to do it. I’ll be handling the remastering, as well as adding some new bonus material we’ve dug out of the archives.

I understand The Sicilian Defence, the long-shelved Alan Parsons Project album, is included in these reissues.
    Since I never replaced my albums with the exception of Tales, my wallet is going to take a beating...

These albums were made for 5.1! Absent such a mix, me no buy.

I'd love 5.1 mixes of all these.
    The DVD-A discs that I have are stereo, but the sound is incredible.
    I Robot, Turn of a Friendly Card and Eye in the Sky
    JG

"MARKLAR!"