Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I don't have any memory of the Kardashians being involved in the OJ trial, but I didn't follow the trial much. I watched OJ's flight in his white SUV, and watched the delivery of the verdict. That's about it. I wasn't as obsessed with the OJ trial as I know some were.
    Robert Kardashian, the (purported) father of the Kardashian daughters, was OJs personal lawyer and best friend, was the one who read OJs suicide note on TV before the Bronco chase, and who was standing next to OJ along with Cochran looking shocked when OJ was acquitted when the verdict was read (because he knew OJ was guilty).

And here I thought you were kidding when you said you've never seen or knew anything re the Kardashians....
    I think you just blew the "who's Nick Faldo?" line out of the water....lmao.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-25-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    To Americans, I would say count your blessings........
    I am not the greatest supporter of our monarchy, but considering the alternative(s) I will settle for them.
    I firmly believe that the move to eliminate estate taxes for the very rich will result in the re-establishment in the U.S.A. of a class of idle gentry which, to all intents and purposes, will be the new American royalty.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    I firmly believe that the move to eliminate estate taxes for the very rich will result in the re-establishment in the U.S.A. of a class of idle gentry which, to all intents and purposes, will be the new American royalty.

I thought we already had that. The top 1% own 40% of all wealth in the US, and the bottom 90% owns about 20%.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-25-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    Fuck their parasitical asses and the whole gushing wave of butt-kissing, sycophantic quasi-fascistic, flag-waving distraction they rely on to maintain their position as figureheads for everything that's wrong with British politics and society. If you Americans want them, you can have the whole inbred, entitled, thick-as-pigshit cabal as far as I'm concerned. Have to say that when it comes to aristocracy/royalty, the French had entirely the right idea.
    I've got an English friend now living in the US that has a similar view. It does seem entirely antiquated and the futile efforts of American media to supply us with bread and circuses (reality TV stars like those inbred Kardashians and their ilk) are equally as bad. And don't get me started on the bleach-blonde orangutan who is picking and grooming like an aging simian at the younger strapping counterpart from France. I don't want the thread to get closed with that rant.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I don't have any memory of the Kardashians being involved in the OJ trial, but I didn't follow the trial much. I watched OJ's flight in his white SUV, and watched the delivery of the verdict. That's about it. I wasn't as obsessed with the OJ trial as I know some were.

EDIT: I just Googled it - I had no memory of who OJ's lawyer was, but I didn't really care at the time. Had no idea the Kardashians were OJ's lawyer and his family. Man, does he look like a cheesy bastard!
    Well, just to be clear, it was just Robert Kardashian who was OJ's personal lawyer. I don't think Kris Jenner or any of the Kardashian daughters have a law license. Also, OJ was not related to the Kardashians, they were close friends, not family. But it might be interesting to know if OJ ever had a paternity test re Chloe K....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    Well, just to be clear, it was just Robert Kardashian who was OJ's personal lawyer. I don't think Kris Jenner or any of the Kardashian daughters have a law license. Also, OJ was not related to the Kardashians, they were close friends, not family. But it might be interesting to know if OJ ever had a paternity test re Chloe K....
    What I meant is, I didn't know "The Kardashians" were OJ's lawyer, and his lawyer's family. As far as I knew, "The Kardashians" were a random, rich family. Did the father participate in the reality show(s)? If so, that's pretty crass.

What I meant is, I didn't know "The Kardashians" were OJ's lawyer, and his lawyer's family. As far as I knew, "The Kardashians" were a random, rich family. Did the father participate in the reality show(s)? If so, that's pretty crass.
    No, Robert Kardashian got divorced long before the reality show (and a few years before the OJ murder) which featured his ex wife now married to Bruce Jenner. No one outside of the LA jetset knew who the Kardashians were until the OJ trial put him and his ex-wife in the spotlight (she was very close friends with Nicole; and Robert was representing OJ for the murder of Nicole), and the ex wife and her daughters then used that notoriety as a platform to become TV stars.

You do know who Bruce Jenner is, right?
    (I feel like I'm explaining all this to Rip Van Winkle...) By the way, the OJ trial is known as "The Trial of the Century".
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-26-2018 at 12:53 PM.

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I thought they were those thick-necked creatures from Star Trek, but apparently they're thick-assed creatures from Hollywood.

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I don't want the thread to get closed with that rant.
    #It'sAlwaysOneSide

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You do know who Bruce Jenner is, right?
    (I feel like I'm explaining all this to Rip Van Winkle...)
    You clearly understand that the answer to this is NO don't you?
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I thought they were those thick-necked creatures from Star Trek, but apparently they're thick-assed creatures from Hollywood.
    Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    You clearly understand that the answer to this is NO don't you?
    Given the track record, you're probably right, but part of me says this has now become kind of an attention getting schtick that he's playing up for giggles. I find it hard to believe in this day and age of 24/7 news/social media (which pretty much began with the OJ Bronco "chase") that someone could be so insulated and oblivious to knowing, even casually, the basic obvious facts re the most famous trial of the "century", a trial that was televised and recapped every day for 6? months, and which ushered in the 24/7 news networks etc. , has been the subject of numerous documentaries, and most recently a 10 part award winning TV series which was outstanding. Even people with a basic rudimentary interest in the US justice system know and have been exposed to the basic facts. And I have never watched an episode of the Kardashian TV show, but it's impossible to not know who they are and to not have seen them.

btw, I was going to say "Caitlyn Jenner" in my previous post, but I didn't want to cause further confusion.
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-26-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Oh I certainly think Jed's shtick is performance art of the highest order, he never breaks character.
    Ian

I know who Bruce Jenner is (I remember the Wheaties box), and I know who Caitlin Jenner is. But I don't really know what Bruce or Caitlin has to do with the Kardashians - he was married to one of them? Whatever, carry on. It's not performance art, I'm just always surprised when these thing are brought up as things with which it's assumed everyone would be familiar. It's more esoteric than the a lot of the most esoteric prog.

[...] I'm just always surprised when these thing are brought up as things with which it's assumed everyone would be familiar. It's more esoteric than the a lot of the most esoteric prog.
    I wish it were so, but unfortunately it's not. In an age where people can "be famous for being famous", so-called celebrities like the Kardashians are unavoidable in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I wish it were so, but unfortunately it's not. In an age where people can "be famous for being famous", so-called celebrities like the Kardashians are unavoidable in the media.
    Seems like it'd be as esoteric at least!

I know who Bruce Jenner is (I remember the Wheaties box), and I know who Caitlin Jenner is. But I don't really know what Bruce or Caitlin has to do with the Kardashians - he was married to one of them? Whatever, carry on. It's not performance art, I'm just always surprised when these thing are brought up as things with which it's assumed everyone would be familiar. It's more esoteric than the a lot of the most esoteric prog.
    So you remember Bruce Jenner because of the Wheaties box, but not because you saw him win the Decathlon in the Olympics as the worlds greatest athlete. Now that's esoteric.

I told you in the previous post what Bruce Jenner had to do with the Kardashians--he married Kris the mother of the K girls after she divorced Robert Kardashian, and they did the whole reality show thing. ADD maybe?

So what do you think Caitlyn Jenner is famous for?

(kudos for continuing to stay in character)
    Last edited by DocProgger; 04-26-2018 at 05:26 PM.

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

So you remember Bruce Jenner because of the Wheaties box, but not because you saw him win the Decathlon in the Olympics as the worlds greatest athlete. Now that's esoteric.

I told you in the previous post what Bruce Jenner had to do with the Kardashians--he married Kris the mother of the K girls after she divorced Robert Kardashian, and they did the whole reality show thing. ADD maybe?

So what do you think Caitlyn Jenner is famous for?

(kudos for continuing to stay in character)
    Caitlyn Jenner is famous for getting a lot of people to pay attention to "reality shows."

I guess I live in a bit of a Blissful Bubble myself. From 1980 to 2005, I worked on a ship at sea six months / year. Got information sporadically via shortwave and old dentist-office magazines... So....BBC World Service and later a raw NPR feed.....Never got into a TV habit when home.....The last year Cable TV came in to my home was 2005. I stay informed still through NPR and BBC...I occasionally read the WSJ and The Economist.....I'm not really concerned with getting Information First......but getting information Right. I also admit to a degree of ignorance Re. OJ and the Kardashians.....anything Reality-Show......or televised trained monkeys in a contest to sing pap music. And yes....I DO remember Bruce Jenner for his amazing Olympic accomplishments......( I DID watch a fair amount of TV up until 1979)
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    I stay informed still through NPR and BBC...I occasionally read the WSJ and The Economist.....I'm not really concerned with getting Information First......but getting information Right.
    These days -- since the Reagan-era repeal of The Fairness Doctrine -- you cannot depend on the news to be accurate. A savvy consumer is required to gather data from a number of sources and cross-correlate what must be truth based on congruencies.

There is SO MUCH flat wrong reporting out there now -- which is not just wrong, it's dead wrong -- that it's amazing broadcast licenses haven't been pulled.

But then the FCC head is a political appointee, with no allegiance to accuracy.

Yes, I was referring to the electoral college, which as I said is now antiquated and not really needed as much as when the US first started. And not to get into a whole long debate about the pros and cons of various models of western democratic governments, I also added that "our system is far from ideal".

But to equate the compromise system of the electoral college (which was created out of a fear of direct democratic elections, ie "tyranny of the majority") with ruling a country by a completely non elected "royal King" who claims the office solely by monarchical birthright is beyond silly. So no, my 2 paragraphs are not contradictory (and my 2nd P was really just poking a little fun at the British monarchy). I also don't think it was Hamilton per se or solely who created the modern electoral college, although he was certainly instrumental in helping write and create much of the Constitution, and certainly wanted a strong centralized government. In fact, Hamiltons original electoral college system had the 2nd place candidate for the Presidency become the VP, which was what led to the crazy 1800 election and the whole Burr issue which eventually led to the duel. The amendment to the Const. changed that system.

I agree it was going to become very difficult for a King an ocean away to truly govern the colonies, when the majority who left England did so to have freedoms not allowed in England (freedom from a govt imposed religion) which makes fighting a war for 6 years all the more ludicrous in retrospect. Yet, England managed to hang onto Canada and Australia for many decades longer.
    So why the defensive tone? I am being rhetorical, you do not need to bother to reply.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I have a friend visiting England for the wedding, and she sent some great photos - people are already camping out in prime spots along the parade route, and vendors are out with colorful carts of royal wedding crap. Makes for good photos anyway!

I have a friend visiting England for the wedding, and she sent some great photos - people are already camping out in prime spots along the parade route, and vendors are out with colorful carts of royal wedding crap. Makes for good photos anyway!
    Another of the reasons I left the country.
    Ian