Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: Supersister- To The Highest Bidder

FEATURED ALBUM: Supersister- To The Highest Bidder

Review from ProgArchives (Trane):
    After a very derivative debut album, the mighty sibling came back with a very different second album titled with a very macho Highe$t Bidder (you read well, no typo) and the gatefold artwork depicting a female goldigger's profound motivation. No doubt that every cliché is based on its foundation of truth, but surely a minimum of chivalry is not too much an effort to produce and such denouncing is not only necessary, but superfluou$ in its offensive approach, but this is RnR. Recorded and produced of the summer of 71 and released in fall, this album was previewed by two few singles (one is on bonus on the Esoteric Record re-issue) to keep the fans waiting.

Starting on a 10-minutes version of the single release a few months before, A Girl Named you explores Caravan territory and wits (or obsessions might be a better word, knowing Pye's tortuous mind) and brings out much Stips' electric piano, but he's also toying with a mellotron and harpsichord. The following No Tree Will Grow (also a single) is built on a drone evoking/reminiscing some of Robert Wyatt's most poignant later works. With Highe$t Bidder SS becomes groundbreakers rather than followers. Indeed this organ drone underlining Stips' piano and Van Geest's vocals is impressive. As the first side died out on severely demented laughs, nothing was to prepare us for the flipside.

A loud metronomic bass drums accompanied with a rare electric guitar (rather rare in SS), then Sacha's saturated flute, which would finally first hasten the bass drum and then liberate the tune from it with the help of Stip's organ then electric piano, finally leading into the first verse. The 15-miss Energy (Out Of The Future) is a killer track that hesitates between Egg, The Nice, Soft Machine, Caravan with Sacha's high perched flute and his dubbed filtered-though vocals talking much of the attention, but it's really bassist Van Eck and drummer Vrolijk's moment. The dronal final-section leads directly into the short closer Higher, a charming under 3-mins tidbit riding on a bass flute and distant piano.

The re-issue (with a great booklet featuring the history and pics) boast the first two tracks in shorter single edits, which we might have done without, but they shed a different light onto the said longer versions. Much more interesting is the Missing Link B-side, with the binary bass line dictating the beat and structure. The other B-side is a goofy fourth-degree Zappa-like track worrying about the Groupies Of The Band, which is neither interesting nor funny. The album was a hit with John Peel and he gave them an introduction on the British market, even releasing the album on his Dandelion label, adding the She Was Naked single to the album's track list (strangely not present in any form in this issue). The group would head out to a nearby European tour, later appearing in a German TV special with an orchestra (thus previewing some of their next album's works). TTHB sold quite a bit and was nominated to the Dutch-equivalent Grammy. Had for me to recommend just one of their first three albums, as all three have their own merits and none surpass each other.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

My fave of theirs. I love this album.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I really love Supersister--Nio Tree will Grow is in my favourite songs ever --

Love the Sister!

I have the 2 on 1 CD of Present/ Bidder.

Am I missing anything great on the reissues?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Correct me if I'm misremembering (I often do), but doesn't the 2-on-1 edition leave off some tracks?

I really love Supersister as well. Really sad I never got to see them.

BTW - afaik, the 2-on-1s do not leave off any tracks....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    God, how I love this album. I feel sorry for those who don't.

+1
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

what about Long Live Supersister!
    Anyone hear this yet ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Correct me if I'm misremembering (I often do), but doesn't the 2-on-1 edition leave off some tracks?
    Like Steve said, they don't leave off anything but AFAIK two of them split that one singles & rarities comp between them (so that, yeah - you have to get them both). Of course, all of the singles as well as the comp are featured more or less chronologically with the Esoteric reissues. I never compared the sonics, however.

"Advanced" sisterions need to get the Memories Are New release (another "rarities" collection featuring some sweet orchestral recordings) and the GREAT Supersisterious double live reunion CD recorded at the Paradiso.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    what about Long Live Supersister!
    Anyone hear this yet ???
    Curious about this one too.

As for the featured work, I like it just a tad bit less than Present From Nancy, but that still makes it fantastic...

I've heard Long Live Supersister. What do you want to know?

It's a very well recorded (for the time) live album taken from 1971 (50%) and 1973 (50%).

It's not a revelation, but it's the best live stuff by the original band in their prime I know of!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

God knows the band,im in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I've heard Long Live Supersister. What do you want to know?

It's a very well recorded (for the time) live album taken from 1971 (50%) and 1973 (50%).

It's not a revelation, but it's the best live stuff by the original band in their prime I know of!
    Apparently a recent release... Does anyone know if Pseudonym Recs plan to release it on CD??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The first Supersister album I purchased. Have the vinyl, Polydor 2 on 1 and the Esoteric releases. You could say that I like it.

It was a blast seeing them perform a lot of this at Progfest 2000.

If only one by these guys, this is it. Good stuff.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Didn't Elton Dean join this band later on, I think after "Iksander" when Charlie Mariano went back to Germany to play with Eberhard Weber. Of course the band blew up and Dean didn't record with them. He is listed as a former member on Supersister's web-site.
    This is my favourite album from them as well.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Didn't Elton Dean join this band later on, I think after "Iksander" when Charlie Mariano went back to Germany to play with Eberhard Weber. Of course the band blew up and Dean didn't record with them. He is listed as a former member on Supersister's web-site.
    This is my favourite album from them as well.
    There was a tape circulating years ago from '74 with Dean. I believe it was recorded in Poitiers, France.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Didn't Elton Dean join this band later on, I think after "Iksander" when Charlie Mariano went back to Germany to play with Eberhard Weber. Of course the band blew up and Dean didn't record with them. .
    As did Daniel Denis

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    There was a tape circulating years ago from '74 with Dean. I believe it was recorded in Poitiers, France.

That's petty cool, I didn't know he actually played with them.
    I really like that Iksander album with Mariano and would have loved to have heard them with Dean doing his thing.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    As did Daniel Denis
    I forgot all about that Udi but I do remember reading that in one of the liner notes.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    The first Supersister album I purchased. Have the vinyl, Polydor 2 on 1 and the Esoteric releases. You could say that I like it.

It was a blast seeing them perform a lot of this at Progfest 2000.
    That Progfest 2000 gig is in my top 5 performances. IIRC, the original band played straight through the first two albums. Pretty magical, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by saulgoodman View Post
    That Progfest 2000 gig is in my top 5 performances. IIRC, the original band played straight through the first two albums. Pretty magical, imo.
    It's been 13 years since that show, so I couldn't remember if they had done everything off of "Bidder". I'm pretty sure the setlist from the warm up gig in Holland was the same for the LA show. So it looks like they didn't play "Higher" from Bidder, which is only a 3-minute song. Great set list still.

I agree about the show. They were one of the main draws for me, having had all four of their albums on vinyl for about 16 years prior. Hell I even ended up on the DVD, albeit in the background,.

1. Present from Nancy (8:01)
    2. Memories ar new (9:16)
    3. Corporation combo boys (0:55)
    4. Mexico (7:54)
    5. A girl named you (9:59)
    6. No tree will grow (6:15)
    7. Judy goes on holiday (10:15)
    8. 6 blauwe dwergen (1:03)
    9. Energy (out of future) (12:49)
    10. Pudding en gisteren (music for ballet) (22:00)
    11. Wow - the story (3:13)
    12. Wow (9:53)
    13. She was naked (4:22)
    14. Radio (3:57)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I'm pretty sure the setlist from the warm up gig in Holland was the same for the LA show. So it looks like they didn't play "Higher" from Bidder, which is only a 3-minute song.
    "Higher" is actually one of my favourite Supersister songs altogether. Stips is a very fine pop song composer in the first place, and tunes like "She Was Naked", "Radio" and "No Tree Will Grow" certainly displays this, as do most of those orchestral ditties on the Memories Are New compilation (which features, among other things, the blueprint for "Energy Out of Future" in the lovely "House in the Country"). Strangely, some of these songs bear an almost uncanny resemblance to the ones made by Archer Prewitt/Sea of Cake; I guess it's that common "Canterburian lite" connection.