Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cruise To The Edge Announces 2014 Line Up

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Last night at the YES show in Atlanta, I saw someone wearing a Cruise to the Edge tee-shirt.
    Was he also smoking the demon weed?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    OK, so just pretend that I never read the old threads on Cruise to the edge - do these bands perform on the cruise? and do they also hang out with the patrons as well? Sounds fun, but kind of expensive (I assume) Not sure I'm ready to see Squire (or any other prog artist for that matter) in a speedo on a beach though.
    All the bands performed at least twice and yes, they hang out with the patrons. I think we respected their privacy and they often responded by initiating conversations. We had a nice conversation with Alan and Geoff at the lounge with their wives and the next day sat with Geoff, his wife and son at lunch in a little hut in Jamaica. Nothing will ever compare to looking up at breakfast and seeing Steve Hackett ask if he could sit beside us. The whole trip we kept running into the bands everywhere and they seemed to enjoy the energy of their fans. I definitely intend to go again!

I'm sorry to see Glass Hammer won't be returning. They were a highlight for me even though most fans were disappointed that Jon Davison was prohibited from singing with them. Guess live shows just aren't their thing but the inclusion of Sound of Contact and Renaissance (with Annie Haslam I hope) makes up for it. IO Earth was a standout last time also!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Not a smart move. Would anyone really want to risk getting kicked off a cruise ship or worse? Nice way to kill a vacation.
    Not sure what rules the cruise line itself may have, but there are no US laws against possession or use outside the three mile territorial limit. Just make sure you use it all up before you attempt to disembark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    All the bands performed at least twice and yes, they hang out with the patrons. I think we respected their privacy and they often responded by initiating conversations. We had a nice conversation with Alan and Geoff at the lounge with their wives and the next day sat with Geoff, his wife and son at lunch in a little hut in Jamaica. Nothing will ever compare to looking up at breakfast and seeing Steve Hackett ask if he could sit beside us.
    I'd say that Hackett is rightly known as one of the nicest people in prog.

Nobody knows how to reach out the the promoters/organizers, huh? I'm sure I'm not the only musician on these boards who would find the prospect of playing one of these to be great fun. They are obviously reserving a few spots for the younger and less-established bands in prog. I've never been able to afford a cruise, so I would welcome the opportunity to do this gig!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, do people bring the demon weed on board?
    Not a smart move. Would anyone really want to risk getting kicked off a cruise ship or worse? Nice way to kill a vacation.
    I'm just trying to make this thread as similar to the other thread as possible...

WHether I go on the cruise or not, the good news is that all these bands will still be together next year!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    WHether I go on the cruise or not, the good news is that all these bands will still be together next year!
    Presuming all their members live that long.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I'd say that Hackett is rightly known as one of the nicest people in prog.
    Korrekt !

What was announced in Friday is supposedly not the entire line-up. There are more bands to be announced this week, as well as the update to the website and booking info. I went in 2013 and had a blast, and hope to make it on this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    What was announced in Friday is supposedly not the entire line-up. There are more bands to be announced this week, as well as the update to the website and booking info. I went in 2013 and had a blast, and hope to make it on this as well.

Hope so ! Transatlantic shoud be ready to hit the road with a new album by the time the ship sails !
    Last edited by Rufus; 07-22-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jondon4 View Post
    I'm sorry to see Glass Hammer won't be returning. They were a highlight for me even though most fans were disappointed that Jon Davison was prohibited from singing with them.
    Thanks! Actually, we're playing the Moody Blues cruise this time around. Looking forward to it...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Thanks! Actually, we're playing the Moody Blues cruise this time around. Looking forward to it...
    Is Justin Hayward allowed to sing with you?

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Is Justin Hayward allowed to sing with you?
    Yep, pretty sure we can jam with anyone who wants to! We're hoping for Colin Blunstone...

Quote Originally Posted by warrplayer View Post
    Not sure what rules the cruise line itself may have, but there are no US laws against possession or use outside the three mile territorial limit. Just make sure you use it all up before you attempt to disembark.
    I don't know, I guess if people feel the need to get high before these shows, and aren't smoking stuff in front of other ship guests, I have no beef with them. But at the shows in front of families, not sure that is in good taste. And same goes with getting drunk at the shows. I think considering the venue, I'd want people on at least slightly better behavior. Maybe too much to ask.

BTW, sure wish I could go on this cruise, I'm totally jealous of those who attended last year, and will this next time around. Sounds like a real blast.

I don't know, I guess if people feel the need to get high before these shows, and aren't smoking stuff in front of other ship guests, I have no beef with them. But at the shows in front of families, not sure that is in good taste. And same goes with getting drunk at the shows. I think considering the venue, I'd want people on at least slightly better behavior. Maybe too much to ask.
    Don’t know if you have ever been on a cruise before, but from my experience alcohol flows very freely from the minute the ship leaves port until it docks however many days later. I’ve never been on a music themed cruise, but I am sure it is not much different. As for families, the cruises I have been on have whole sections of the ship that are just for kids, and usually a teenager section as well. These are separated from the more party oriented sections of the boat. Of course, everyone is around the common areas, and different cruise lines cater to different people, but I think most people going on a cruise, know what they are getting into. Of the two cruise lines I have been on Carnival seems to be more party oriented with Princess a bit more subdued, but alcohol was present everywhere and pot could be found very easily on the islands. I don’t think I ever saw anyone smoking out in public though.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Don’t know if you have ever been on a cruise before, but from my experience alcohol flows very freely from the minute the ship leaves port until it docks however many days later. I’ve never been on a music themed cruise, but I am sure it is not much different. As for families, the cruises I have been on have whole sections of the ship that are just for kids, and usually a teenager section as well. These are separated from the more party oriented sections of the boat. Of course, everyone is around the common areas, and different cruise lines cater to different people, but I think most people going on a cruise, know what they are getting into. Of the two cruise lines I have been on Carnival seems to be more party oriented with Princess a bit more subdued, but alcohol was present everywhere and pot could be found very easily on the islands. I don’t think I ever saw anyone smoking out in public though.

Steve Sly
    I admit, I've never been on a cruise. It's just that I've seen really bad behavior at concerts over the years and would hope that wouldn't happen on a cruise ship. At the festivals I've attended, it seems the vast amount of drinking goes on at the after parties. I don't recall seeing many plastered fest goers over the years, not until night time. Then again, I guess they were too hung over to drink until then. That was me a couple times, though the bigger problem was sleep deprivation .

I admit, I've never been on a cruise. It's just that I've seen really bad behavior at concerts over the years and would hope that wouldn't happen on a cruise ship. At the festivals I've attended, it seems the vast amount of drinking goes on at the after parties. I don't recall seeing many plastered fest goers over the years, not until night time. Then again, I guess they were too hung over to drink until then. That was me a couple times, though the bigger problem was sleep deprivation .
    The patrons at last year's cruise were all very polite and into the music. If people were drunk or stoned, they didn't show it in any bizarre behavior. Of course, people smoked weed but not at the shows. I would guess they did that in the privacy of their stateroom. While alcohol was prevalent, most of the acts played the main theater where you couldn't bring refreshments and in the lounges you had to wait forever for the few waiters to find you. Otherwise on deck was a free-for-all but one in which adults and children danced together to Steve Hackett playing "I Know What I Like." Can you get any more family friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Also, do people bring the demon weed on board?
    Of course they do. Cruises take place in international waters and it's all perfectly legal.

It was a good scene- fun was had by all but no one- well, almost no one- got obnoxious. One guy was actually put off the boat for being a drunken idiot though. In general I thought the party vibe was great and not out of hand. Now the Monsters Of Rock cruise might be different...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Steve Sly
    Why the hell is there so much drinking on this Cruise to the Edge?!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Of course they do. Cruises take place in international waters and it's all perfectly legal.
    I just wanted to say :demon weed."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I'm guessing Tatesryche. Alan has guested with Geoff at solo shows in the Seattle area. I hope for the sake of anyone going that I'm wrong.
    The bands, as far as I can make out, have little input into who is playing, so who's worked with who previously is irrelevant. The cruise organisers put this together.

I'm surprised the line-up is so similar to last time. Won't that reduce repeat trade?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/