Thread: Six Wives of Henry VIII - Did Wakey pinch a lot of classics on this?

Six Wives of Henry VIII - Did Wakey pinch a lot of classics on this?

I've heard the original album several times. Overal, I think it's good but not great. Today I listened to the recent live recording at Hampton Court Palace. This is not just good- it's fantastic.
    For those who have heard this, especially those who are very well versed in Classical music, how much of it is pinching and borrowing, and how much is really Wakey's brilliance? I was astonished at how good this live album is. It struck me as something college music instructors would assign for listening.
    For those who are well versed, please share WHERE Rick is pinching from, when and if he is doing this.

I've always seen Rick as original vs. Keith Emerson pinched from everywhere..

Rick certainly lifted a few things on the classical composer, but more than Emerson or Renaissance's Hawken & Tout??

ix Wives is the only Wakeman solo album I like and deem worthy of having in my shelves
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I think you'll find classical composers lifted from each other frequently, so Rick & Keith were just maintaining a proud tradition.

I think it's just the hymn at the end of Anne Boleyn and a little piano theme in the middle of Catherine Howard that i have a feeling is borrowed from somewhere...although I can't place it.

Matt.

The Catherine Howard piece is his. It actually was "borrowed" for the recording of Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens. I have a live acoustic piano album of his where he relates the story. It's absolutely hilarious.

I can never remember which title goes with which tune. Is "Catherine Howard" the one that quotes Bizet's "Farandole"? There's another bit somewhere on the album that I always thought sounded a lot like "Bus Stop" by the Hollies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I can never remember which title goes with which tune. Is "Catherine Howard" the one that quotes Bizet's "Farandole"?
    Good man That's it exactly...always bugged me that I couldn't identify the piece. So, for anyone else it's the melody that Rick plays between 3:55 and 4:15 of track 3.

Matt.

6 wives is better than good. It's very good. So is No earthly connection

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post
    I think you'll find classical composers lifted from each other frequently, so Rick & Keith were just maintaining a proud tradition.
    This is true. E.g., while Emerson did Copland's "Hoedown", Copland used at least two folk songs to create it.

So, how about instead of "pinched" or other loaded terms, we use something more neutral, like "quoted"?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    There's another bit somewhere on the album that I always thought sounded a lot like "Bus Stop" by the Hollies.
    Tubular Bells also uses it (at about 6:55).

Six Wives is a masterpiece of prog. One of my favorite albums ever.

Wasn't able to get through the new live recording of it. Maybe I should try again, but I feel with Six Wives you go analog, or you go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Six Wives is a masterpiece of prog. One of my favorite albums ever.

Wasn't able to get through the new live recording of it. Maybe I should try again, but I feel with Six Wives you go analog, or you go home.
    Defo my fave keyboard album !