Thread: World's fastest drummer

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Uh.... yay?

Mike Mangini was quoted as saying, "Yeah, but I'm in Dream Theater."

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Something seems funny about Mangini, who's a real musician with a real career, having ever even bothered with such a silly bit of dick-measuring. But I suppose that if you're an independent virtuoso drummer, as he was until recently, the publicity might be important to your career. You'll sell more instructional videos and get hired to do more clinics if you can brag that you're "The World's Fastest Drummer" and actually back it up. Although it would probably not matter all that much for getting session jobs. And I suspect it mattered far less to DT than his ability to learn and play Portnoy's parts.

But is it really drumming, rather than a severe nervous vibration in fine motor skills? I don't know. Would be interesting to hear a neurologist's opinion about this.

I don't know much about drumming. Does being a fast drummer make you a good drummer?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post

Mike Mangini was quoted as saying, "Yeah, but I'm in Dream Theater."
    LOL! I doubt he cares. ...About the record that is. He probably cares about being in DT.

That guy's barely holding onto the sticks. What a wuss! Here's the real "World's fastest drummer"!!!!:

"Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Obligatory response to ^

Here's the real "World's fastest drummer"!!!!:
    Go granny GOOOO!!!!!!!

but can he groove?

<--- covers head and ducks out of thread

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Does being a fast drummer make you a good drummer?
    Only up to a point. And in many cases, it doesn't matter much. Ringo and Charlie were the perfect drummers for the Beatles and the Stones and neither are particularly fast; however, both have dead-solid time and a great sense of what works for a particular song. That usually matters a lot more. On the other hand, Mike M. has both of those attributes and is also unbelievably fast; it does matter in DT and that's at least part of why they hired him.

I would add Nick Mason and Alan White to the category you had for Ringo and Charlie(ie not particularly fast but well suited for their respective bands). Being fast is over rated imo. It's good to be able to play fast but it's certainly not always necessary. Sometimes it can even make the drummer seem like he is showing off(ie Buddy Rich).

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Only up to a point. And in many cases, it doesn't matter much. Ringo and Charlie were the perfect drummers for the Beatles and the Stones and neither are particularly fast; however, both have dead-solid time and a great sense of what works for a particular song. That usually matters a lot more. On the other hand, Mike M. has both of those attributes and is also unbelievably fast; it does matter in DT and that's at least part of why they hired him.
    Good answer. Thank you.

Charlie was ideal for the a good beat band which was wot the Stones were !

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    he's holding the drum sticks so there's alot of bouncing, adding to the drum beat count. He's all great on one drum, but black metallers and death metallers can go like that on a whole kit....
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Love it! LOL!! Thanks, man, for a nice wakeup laugh on my last full day in Siena, where I've been covering the Siean Jazz Academy Sunmer Workshop (or, at least, the first week) after doing the Molde Jazz Festival (that report up tomorrow, with some prog-related shows by Teerje Rypal, Bushmen's Revenge, Stian Westerhus & Pale Horses and Hedvig Mollestad Teio, amongst many other things......). After 15 days in the road, as fun as it's been, I miss my wife, my dog, my home, and a laugh was just what I needed!
    Cheers!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    but can he groove?
    The salient question here....

1200 beats per minute is impressive, but think how fast he'd be going by the *end* of a song!

Cozy Powell appeared on Record Breakers & broke some kind of speed record ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Cozy Powell appeared on Record Breakers & broke some kind of speed record ?