Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Were Rush progressive rock?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    What do you think their original intent was?

My own humble opinion is they just started off as a band emulating their own rock heroes, who seem to me to be middle of the road classic rock like Cream, The Who and clearly Led Zeppelin.

With the arrival of Neal though, they veered towards a merger with classic progressive rock...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(band)
    The reason that Rush changed drummers in the first place was, because John wanted Rush to be like Bad Company while Ged and Alex wanted Rush to be more progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I certainly think Rush qualifies as Prog. They've done things that weren't Prog either. Who cares! All of their albums have something interesting to offer. I'm a bit lenient on what bands qualify as prog. Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Procol Harum are all prog bands to me. From my view, prog was built on the innovations of The Beatles, The Who, Cream, Hendrix and Dylan and I don't think any of those artists are prog just highly influential.

Bill
    Rush, like Styx, Kansas, Genesis, Yes, and Gentle Giant, was a prog band that eventually stop playing progressive music. There, does that settle it?

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    The reason that Rush changed drummers in the first place was, because John wanted Rush to be like Bad Company while Ged and Alex wanted Rush to be more progressive.
    Could you be a little more snotty next time? (pric*)
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Banned

Rush, like Styx, Kansas, Genesis, Yes, and Gentle Giant, was a prog band that eventually stop playing progressive music. There, does that settle it?
    No. In fact, more to the opposite. I would tend to believe that Rush has since become much more "progressive" than they were in the beginning.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Could you be a little more snotty next time? (pric*)
    Watch Beyond The Lighted Stage, my friend.

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Not sure where you get this from? In the documentary, Beyond The Lighted Stage, John left the band due to stage fright. May have to go back and watch to make sure though.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Watch Beyond The Lighted Stage, my friend.
    You are half right, he also left due to health issues. Don't know why I was thinking stage fright, but that was completely wrong.
    Last edited by UnderAGlassMoon; 07-19-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Banned
    I think that there's been some mention that John was more of a "classic rock" kinda guy, although it seems obvious that it was not the reason for his departure from the band. If nothing, Rush members were - and still are - loyal to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Glad this thread is stimulating discussion -- that was my goal.

I did not include Kansas because I agree there's a proggish element to early Kansas albums, particularly after Steve released Proto-Kaw. What I knew of Rush, what I'd heard on the radio and what's been playing on my Pandora channel, I did not hear that prog element. BTW it's interesting what Pandora associates with Rush. It isn't Soft Machine or Hatfield and the North. It's Led Zeppelin, Boston and Wishbone Ash.

And the interesting thing is many people, including prog fans, who only heard the songs on the radio by Kansas or maybe one best of album might assume they weren't prog either. I used to get into arguments with my brother about this(he only knew the radio songs). So what you are exposed to and your perspective plays a big role in what you consider prog or not(I think much more than just age). Maybe the older fans didn't buy the albums and just went by what was on the radio. Who knows. Sometimes we actually have to take the time to listen to something in it's entirety before we claim knowledge of something or pass judgement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    I know that is not in there. They did not pursue a new drummer because of stylistic differences. That I know for sure. Maybe you should go back and watch it.
    That may not be the main reason, but that was one of the reasons.

Not sure where you get this from? In the documentary, Beyond The Lighted Stage, John left the band due to stage fright. May have to go back and watch to make sure though.

Stage Fright? Really? Now, I'll have to go back and watch beyond the lighted stage again. I thought the two main reasons were stylistic differences and the fact that he had diabetes and wasn't in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Who cares?

There are only 2 types of music - that which you like & that which you dislike. Genres, like time, don't really exist.
    I like this.

You are half right, he also left due to health issues. Don't know why I was thinking stage fright, but that was completely wrong.

You were probably thinking of Ant Phillips who left Genesis partly because of stage fright. He also got sick with bronchitis. Being unhealthy is a good reason to leave but in both cases there were other factors. It helps to be able to hold drum sticks too. I'm referring to Phil Collins with that comment and not John Rutsey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You were probably thinking of Ant Phillips who left Genesis partly because of stage fright. He also got sick with bronchitis. Being unhealthy is a good reason to leave but in both cases there were other factors. It helps to be able to hold drum sticks too. I'm referring to Phil Collins with that comment and not John Rutsey.
    He did correct himself. If you watch Beyond The Lighted Stage, there were many people in the Rush organization that didn't think John could handle touring with his diabetes. So, he was asked to leave. The other reason is that the band wanted became interested in the music of Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Yes. They wanted to move in a move progressive direction, while Jon wanted wasn't interested in that because he preferred bands like Bad Company.

He did correct himself. If you watch Beyond The Lighted Stage, there were many people in the Rush organization that didn't think John could handle touring with his diabetes. So, he was asked to leave. The other reason is that the band wanted became interested in the music of Pink Floyd, Genesis, and Yes. They wanted to move in a move progressive direction, while Jon wanted wasn't interested in that because he preferred bands like Bad Company.
    This is 100% correct, at least according to the film. And, I did correct myself about the stage fright thing, again don't know where I got that from but I was completely wrong.

From "Fanboys" 2009.

Who cares?

There are only 2 types of music - that which you like & that which you dislike. Genres, like time, don't really exist.
    What he said.

Banned
    Who cares?

Whatta buncha nonsense!

This is 100% correct, at least according to the film. And, I did correct myself about the stage fright thing, again don't know where I got that from but I was completely wrong.
    I know that I heard before that Rutsey had.......issues with playing live. Not sure if it was stage fright per se, but he wasn't comfortable going on a large tour, performing live, etc.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You're missing Kansas (the band) who get lumped in with that same group of arena/aor bands. Just wanted go back to this for a second (it's a pet peeve of mine). Like I said in the previous post, to me Kansas was more symphonic/prog than Rush. But "Kansas - prog" is also a bone of contention for a lot of snobs, moreso than Rush being prog. It's because of their American, breadbasket, hayseed image. And yet, they were just as (or more) intelligent as Rush, and they were just as good as musicians and arrangers. I'm biased, I admit it but I really think it's true, Kansas' first 5-6 albums were more "prog" than Rush's.
    I feel the exact same way. In fact, Kansas are in MY Big 6.

As for Rush and Prog, since we all interpret the Prog definition a little differently you'll get a mixed response and a thousand reasons why Rush is or isn't. For me they aren't or at least I never considered them Prog when I was younger. Haven't given it much thought lately thought.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I know that I heard before that Rutsey had.......issues with playing live. Not sure if it was stage fright per se, but he wasn't comfortable going on a large tour, performing live, etc.
    Scott, he corrected himself. It wasn't stage fright. John was asked to leave because of his diabetes. According to Beyond The Lighted Stage, John was quite the drinker, and the band/management team/roadies didn't think that John could handle the road, so he was asked to leave. If you have watched the doc, it is clear that John did not have stage fright(there is a clip of John introducing Rush onstage and talking to the audience at one of their early gigs). UnderAGlassMoon then clarify that he mixed John up with Anthony Phillips.

Banned
    Scott, he corrected himself. It wasn't stage fright. John was asked to leave because of his diabetes.

Correct yourself, dude. You're all over the place.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    Correct yourself, dude. You're all over the place.
    Dude, stop being an butthead. This is twice now that you've been rude to me. Also, read posts #63 and #64.
    Last edited by JIF; 07-19-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Banned
    Dude, stop being an asshole. This is twice now that you've been rude to me. Also, read posts #63 and #64.
    I'm only pointing out certain inconsistencies in your posts. If you think that's "rude', then perhaps you should grow a thicker skin. Have I ever called you an "asshole"? Because that's rude.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    I'm only pointing out certain inconsistencies in your posts. If you think that's "rude', then perhaps you should grow a thicker skin. Have I ever called you an "asshole"? Because that's rude.
    No, but you were rude to me on another thread. Someone even pointed it out to you, and you didn't seem to care. I did clarify myself in post #63, and someone in post #64 said that I was right. As always, just like in the Rockshow thread, you felt that you needed to add you two cents in when it wasn't needed. Why, I don't know. As the old saying goes, it's best to say nothing at all, instead of sticking your foot further into your mouth. You seem like an asshole to me because you seem like you're trying to prove that you're smarter than other people.

at Banquo

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    : Lol at Banquo
    What's so funny?