Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who needed punk back then when we had so much great poppy proggy pop-prog-pop?

Every time I've seen him being interviewed, John Lydon always seemed like such a douche. Maybe it's intentional I don't know. That said I like PIL. The Sex Pistols not so much but I guess it's all just good fun.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 07-22-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Some of those aren't "poppy proggy pop-prog-pop" but I would say "proggy pop-prog-pop-proggish -pop"

Your Mileage May Vary, of course

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    And who could forget

John Miles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF6mk2Sq4yY
    Actually I had never heard that lame stuff until the early 00's, when it made a return to European radio... The reason why I never heard that before, is that it never got ontpo Canadian airwaves (at least not to my knowledge) >> didn't miss much, really

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    ha you couldn't be wronger. My god good fellow you need to broaden your perspective lol

to the original post - prog did not cope well with the changing times. bands who'd spnt the prior ten years writing complicated sprawling compsitions tried to enter the field of popular music and for the most part failed themselves miserably.
    i personally found the results horrifying.
    indeed... but then again, this debate already happened a few months ago... and that's the beauty of PE 3.0, you don't lose it anymore... you just have to find it...

Just as well then that this thread isn't about that. This thread is about praising the good pop music that was around at the time of punk. This thread isn't an examination of punk v prog.

Stick to the topic please or start your own prog v punk thread rather than derailing this thread. Thanks.
    predictable answer from peterG
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Every time I've seen him being interviewed, John Lydon always seemed like such a douche. Maybe it's intentional I don't know. That said I like PIL. The Sex Pistols not so much but I guess it's all just good fun.
    +1

Yea I liked some PIL. Sex Pistols though were bloody awful with the exception of those 2 catchy songs they had - Anarchy in the UK and God Save the Queen.
    I agree about Lydon as well, however I think it started out with him as a teenage gimmick, an act to be provocative and enrage society, but at some stage it became a real part of his persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    predictable answer from Trane
    Fixed that for ya!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    A lot of that bad feeling between proggers and punks really was a joke but the press went apeshit over it. But today, Johnny Rotten and Keith Emerson are pretty good friends. I think they were neighbors at one point. Rotten also likes Van Der Graaf Generator and other prog bands. Likewise, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of prog rock artists being punk fans. I never understood why you had to choose one genre over the other; I love em both myself, although I probably actually listen to more punk than prog these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    absolutely. lots of musicians in punk bands loved prog, and lots of musicians in prog bands loved punk.
    To me, VDGG and Hawkwind weren't typical prog, and that's why punks loved them. Hawkind didn't have any epics and they had sort of a heavy and raw sound. VDGG did have epics, but they also had the raw sound and they weren't flashy. So, maybe that's why punks loved them?

Hawkwind weren't prog. Full stop.

Banned
    Listen to Hail Of The Mountain Grill. Then, try telling me again that Hawkwind wasn't prog.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Listen to Hail Of The Mountain Grill.
    I have many times. It isn't prog, not to my ears anyway. Hawkwind came out of the psych-acid-space-folky-festival-rock scene. Most of their early stuff is a mix of spacey hard-psych or folk rock.

I guess we all hear genres differently.
    Last edited by PeterG; 07-24-2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Schpelin

Banned
    I have many times. It isn't prog, not to my ears anyway. Hawkwind came out of the psych-acid-space-folky-festival-rock scene. Most of their early stuff is a mix of spacey hard-psych or folk rock.

I guess we all here genres differently.
    Psych(except in the case of Robin Trower) was dead in the '70s. Some of the music on Hail Of The Mountain Grill is symphonic(especially with Simon House's violin and mellotron playing).

Gong are considered psych and they were in the seventies. Hawkwind were more of a space rock band. According to Progarchives both are subgenres of prog anyway so.......

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yeah and we hear them differently too.
    Fanx

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Psych was dead in the '70s.
    Largely true. But Hawwind (like Gong and Jethro Tull) formed in the 60s and were gigging in the 60s and were very much a folky festival band, it is that background I'm referring to. Compare that to the very different backgrounds and lives of the members of bands like ELP, King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis.

hawkwind had elements that often pushed their sound in to the small p prog territory. warrior on the edge of time has all the elements. and hall too. but you're right peterg, maybe that's not what they started out as, but like many many many bands, they proggified during thos peak prog years. still hawkwind and vdgg are two excellent bands, no matter how you shake it. so if those are the bands that punks like, i give em credit. better taste than a lot of prog fans. ;-P

I don't remember Hawkwind being regarded as anything other than ultra-hippy boring old farts by punks in the 70s and 80s.

Revisionist history and subsequent admissions of personal likings for prog don't alter the fact that the thrill of destruction of all things hippy was regarded as a major feature of punk ideology in late 70s/early 80s Britain. Of course not every punk fan and every punk musician subscribed to this, but it was the standard line and I don't remember any prominent punks challenging it in public (except to some extent Rotten's radio show in 1977, but even he didn't include Floyd or Tull, whom he subsequently admitted liking). It was the public anti-prog line that damaged prog's reputation, which made it much harder for prog acts, especially new ones and less commercial ones, to gain record company support and positive media coverage, and which for decades had prog regarded by orthodox media as a style to be disdained, perhaps more than any other in rock.

Judging by your original song list, I'm guessing you enjoy sitting in dentist's offices, and riding up in down in elevators.

Quote Originally Posted by scags View Post
    Judging by your original song list, I'm guessing you enjoy sitting in dentist's offices, and riding up in down in elevators.
    change dentist for psychologist and elevator for secure hospital transport and you'd be right.