Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aristocrats' tour

My son & I will be at the Aug 15th show (amazingly) here in Madison.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just returned from the Jammin Java show in Vienna VA.
    Sweeet!
    They rocked it hard and loud. Very tight.
    Go see them!

Hopefully wherever you see them has looser time constraints.
    They got to play for 90 minutes, no more. 7-8:30 WTH.
    It is a nice place to see a show...but really?

mark
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Just returned from the Jammin Java show in Vienna VA.
    Sweeet!
    They rocked it hard and loud. Very tight.
    Go see them!

Hopefully wherever you see them has looser time constraints.
    They got to play for 90 minutes, no more. 7-8:30 WTH.
    It is a nice place to see a show...but really?

mark
    Didn't get to go last night, the person I was going with was feeling pretty bad. We didn't lose out since they were comp seats. If you saw Jobson there how was the sound compared to them, which wasn't really all that great. I don't understand why they didn't play in Baltimore at a much nicer place. I guess I will have to wait for a recording to pop up on Dime.

I heard that they had a second band going on at 10PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^ Can't compare to Jobson there but I thought the sound last night was excellent (except when they tried to speak into their mics as they were turned down). I was expecting a too loud mush as when Stick Men played there, but it really was much much better.

Tom
    Last edited by Meme Prog Mutation; 07-28-2013 at 08:58 AM. Reason: typo

Ah, a second show....looking back through the cache there were 3 shows yesterday. Busy place.
    I thought the sound was better than Jobson.
    The stage was a lot less crowded. 3 vs 5.
    Howe's guitar was too low for most of the show, IMHO.
    And two drummers can dominate things.

The pig solo came through very well last night.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Guthrie Govan was interviewed in the most recent Guitar Player magazine. In this excerpt, he's helping us decide once and for all what prog is.

GP: The Aristocrats' music is frequently labeled "prog," but you guys don't even have a Mellotron.

GG: I'm not really sure if our music is prog, but I don't have a better word. I also hear the word a lot in my day-to-day activity with Steven Wilson's band. For me, prog is partly about having been to a public school, having an English country mansion, writing about goblins, having 30-minute songs divided into five movements and, as you say, having a Mellotron. We're not doing that. Prog is also a little bit like classical music in the sense that every note typically gets played as it was written. With The Aristocrats, while we try to be quite specific about certain written sections of each tune, there's a huge scope for improvisation and playing the song differently every night. We're using rock sounds, but with something of a jazz mindset and trying to have some fun with it. If someone wants to call our music prog, however, I'll take it. At least they are listening to it.

He's right, it's not prog. I saw that yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    He's right, it's not prog. I saw that yesterday...
    The aristocrats play modern fusion. Some people classify that as progressive rock and some as jazz. The interviewer's question and Govan's corresponding answer added complications that were not necessary and add fuel to the fire in the "What is prog?" debate rather than simplify matters.

Fusion is a much better description, I agree.

It's fusion, he could have answered the question in two words. For me, fusion is rather progressive by nature, but what the hell do I know?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I file all my fusion under prog.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I file all my fusion under prog.
    I agree with this. Jazz fusion is just another form of progressive rock, to me. :-)

As for the Aristocrats, I'll be seeing them next Tuesday and will be playing a cut from the new record on my show this week, and will do a full-blown feature next week.

Very good gig tonight, loads of fun and very good sound. Big crowd of at least 600 at Berklee. Good night out
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Very good gig tonight, loads of fun and very good sound. Big crowd of at least 600 at Berklee. Good night out
    Yep...didn't care so much for the "battle of the bands" opening act...but, hey...they got the basics

Marco's "Blues Fuckers" solo was incredible! It was such a fun show.

Boston show was killer. Great use of musicianship, virtuosity, subtlety, dynamics and humor.

Don't miss these guys!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

How's the sound at these gigs? Will I need earplugs?

Boston gig wasn't very loud, sound was excellent, pretty big venue, we were about 20 rows back center.
    Ian

I was thinking about seeing them tomorrow at the NJ Proghouse, but I missed the pre-order (just found out today that I could go). It says there are limited walk up sales, but I'm not sure if it would be worth taking a chance and seeing if I could get tickets at the door. Does anyone know how many tickets are left when they say limited?

Quote Originally Posted by jviola95 View Post
    I was thinking about seeing them tomorrow at the NJ Proghouse, but I missed the pre-order (just found out today that I could go). It says there are limited walk up sales, but I'm not sure if it would be worth taking a chance and seeing if I could get tickets at the door. Does anyone know how many tickets are left when they say limited?
    Don't know. I bought my tickets last night. It's a small place, I believe the capacity is 125. Is it that far of a drive? Could be worth trying, you never know. I actually wish this show was tonight, since the venue is just minutes from where I work.

It's about an hour and half away. Might be worth the risk. If not, I'm sure I'll have the chance to see these guys again.

PM Amy, she has connections there and may be able to let you know.
    Ian

Thanks! Just sent her a message.

Quote Originally Posted by jviola95 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Don't know. I bought my tickets last night. It's a small place, I believe the capacity is 125. Is it that far of a drive? Could be worth trying, you never know. I actually wish this show was tonight, since the venue is just minutes from where I work.
    The capacity at Roxy and Duke's is about 200. Sales have been brisk, but we'll still be accepting walk-ups. Walk-up sales begin at 6:30. If anyone is planning on purchasing at the door, I'd suggest you get to the venue as close to 6:30 as possible.

Great show tonight, and I loved that it was a packed house! Very enthusiastic crowd too. First time hearing them actually, unless you include about 5 minutes worth of Youtube clips. Very impressive band, just total monster chops from all three. But the songs are cool too. This idea that they just use the songs as an excuse to solo, totally not true. But even if it was, with guys who can play like this, who gives a crap? Great stuff, I'll be buying one of their albums very soon.

Managed to get tickets at the door! It was a fantastic show, as expected. The highlight of the show for me was Blues Fuckers with the drum solo. I'm usually not a fan of drum solos, but Marco's was absolutely phenomenal. I couldn't believe what I was watching -- the guy's a monster! I loved the encore of Govan's Erotic Cakes, which was incredible and featured the rubber chickens/pigs. The three of them also have a great sense of humor, telling funny stories and jokes between songs. Not much else to say really, other than the fact that I still can't get over what incredible and entertaining musicians they are.