Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 116

Thread: Can Neil "groove"?

  1. #76
    Member Yodelgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,042
    Am I the only one who has seen Neil play swing? C'mon! he did a great job. It Swanged with the best of em.
    I got nothin' :dgtest

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

  2. #77
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    He is perfect for Rush
    That's really the bottom line, isn't it? It would kind of suck if he insisted on grooving all the time, like during "Soliloquy" from 2112, or on Losing It? And yet, that's what this completely random blogger wants.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  3. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Am I the only one who has seen Neil play swing? C'mon! he did a great job. It Swanged with the best of em.
    You seem to be, yes

  4. #79
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,334
    Swing Heil!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  5. #80
    Member Yodelgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    You seem to be, yes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYLXKcreKY this is just an excerpt. It still sounds like Neil.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFgtic-IBk

    Yeah, the guy can swing. This idiot could not be more wrong. Can you honestly say the drums sucked in those videos?
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 07-19-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    I got nothin' :dgtest

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

  6. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, well we're talking about the guy who tried to get Harvey Bainbridge sacked from Hawkwind, and instead ended up getting himself sacked.
    What an A-Hole! Never was too keen about Ginger's drumming!
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

  7. #82
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYLXKcreKY this is just an excerpt. It still sounds like Neil.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFgtic-IBk

    Yeah, the guy can swing. This idiot could not be more wrong. Can you honestly say the drums sucked in those videos?
    The notes might be there... but the feel isnt. I think there is a marked difference between true jazz swing drummers and rock ones. Not that he sounds bad... its just not right - to me at least. He throws down on the snare on the beat too often. He's just a heavy player. Ah well... he's a great drummer and I love all his stuff regardless.

  8. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    The notes might be there... but the feel isnt. I think there is a marked difference between true jazz swing drummers and rock ones. Not that he sounds bad... its just not right - to me at least. He throws down on the snare on the beat too often. He's just a heavy player. Ah well... he's a great drummer and I love all his stuff regardless.
    Your right ! Its the finesse he lacks !

  9. #84
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    5,276
    Sheila E embarrassed Neil Poit? Wow! Lol

  10. #85
    Member Yodelgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,042
    I disagree wholeheartedly. I see finesse, and precision, and I feel the swing. I hear a constant hihat keeping the beat alive and where it should be, I hear quite a bit of dynamics in his playing, I hear soft, I hear fortissimo... I sure don't hear anything close to "throwing" snare hits early even during the fortissimo. The bass and kick were spot on, and by the way, that was no slouch on standup bass. The pianist was also right on the beats with the ride. I'm sorry. Perhaps its just my ignorance and lack of sufficient experience with the genre. I've played the clips a few times, and honestly tried so hear what it is you're telling me, and I simply don't get it. There is no evidence that I can see where he was playing out of his element - or lacking some mysterious groove or something. Simply a fabrication - in my opinion.
    I got nothin' :dgtest

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

  11. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYLXKcreKY this is just an excerpt. It still sounds like Neil.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFgtic-IBk

    Yeah, the guy can swing. This idiot could not be more wrong. Can you honestly say the drums sucked in those videos?

    there was another video in the studio with the Ghost Band like this. Quite frankly, the dude is WAY too HEAVY and too clumsy with his feel and touch and execution. He needs to lay the fuck off the snare drum. One O'Clock Jump was made famous by the Basie Old Testament Band, which had the most incredible rhythm section in jazz---Basie, Walter Page, Freddie Green, and the incomparable Papa Jo Jones. Papa Jo, along with Kenny Clarke from the bebop side, revolutionized jazz drumming, but taking the pulse away from the bass drum, and putting it on the ride and hats. They took all the heaviness away, allowing for the soloists to really shine.

    Here is Papa Jo with George Benson and a tap dancer from '72. Now this groove is SO BAD ASS!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotgJWTqvxQ


    Here is Papa Jo, solo on Caravan.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANTTBvIXmI

    Papa Jo with Basie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYbpu1koRY0

  12. #87
    Member Phlakaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    there was another video in the studio with the Ghost Band like this. Quite frankly, the dude is WAY too HEAVY and too clumsy with his feel and touch and execution. He needs to lay the fuck off the snare drum. One O'Clock Jump was made famous by the Basie Old Testament Band, which had the most incredible rhythm section in jazz---Basie, Walter Page, Freddie Green, and the incomparable Papa Jo Jones. Papa Jo, along with Kenny Clarke from the bebop side, revolutionized jazz drumming, but taking the pulse away from the bass drum, and putting it on the ride and hats. They took all the heaviness away, allowing for the soloists to really shine.

    Here is Papa Jo with George Benson and a tap dancer from '72. Now this groove is SO BAD ASS!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PotgJWTqvxQ


    Here is Papa Jo, solo on Caravan.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eANTTBvIXmI

    Papa Jo with Basie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYbpu1koRY0
    That George Benson clip is f'in awesome. Thanks for the morning pick me up!

    That second clip... I love seeing the snare drum worn all over the head... he really gets around with the sound and touch. Dude is one of the best ever.

  13. #88
    Peart playing jazz is akin to the Phil Collins big band.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

  14. #89
    I think I can!!!


  15. #90
    Member Joe F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bothell, Washington
    Posts
    288
    I like Rush & Elvis Costello.

    Neil is great in Rush. He is very rigid in his playing. Swing isn't supposed to be rigid. My two-cents. YMMV

  16. #91
    You bet your ass he can.


  17. #92
    Member Yodelgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,042
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You bet your ass he can.

    Thank you. I felt like I was living in bizarro world. Now, that's not to say Peart is the best there is, but how many other super-hero rock drummers do you see doing stuff like this huh? Not many, because he's better than most would be. I don't see or hear the heavy handed snare mentioned above. It was a completely different piece than a 3 piece tap jazz number. I see quite a dynamic player, who has bothered to step out of his comfort zone, and done very well. You may not have noticed, but the crowd was very enthusiastic. Isn't that what its all about?
    I got nothin' :dgtest

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

  18. #93
    Well, I love Neil but... I differ That felt stiff, robotic and by-the-numbers to me. It felt very basic, he only hit the obvious and rudimentary accents and his swing is mechanical. It sounds like the guy in Rush trying to play with a big band. Yeah, he probably did a better job than Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor would have, but it didn't swing, unless a drum machine programmed to play perfect swing triplets swings. I do give him points for the excellent meter. Remember, I think Peart is a great drummer, and he gets props for trying to step out of his box and the trad grip lessons with Freddie Gruber. But in any serious jazz club he'd stink up the place. As would I.

    And I gotta say that in his hey-day Phil Collins would have KILLED this. Phil has groove.

  19. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    160
    "Love for Sale"? Buddy Rich Ghost Band? Well, ok then.....



    Incidentally, I always wondered why Carl Palmer was never invited to take part in these ubiquitous Buddy Tribute sessions. He's practically the only cat who Buddy allowed to play his actual drum set. There was a time when Buddy broke his arm or something and was subbed by Roy Haynes for Norman Granz's Jazz at the Philharmonic tour. Roy proceeded to make adjustments to Buddy's drum set, and Buddy blew up at him for daring to make those adjustments.

    Then I remember that these sessions were organized by Buddy's daughter, Cathy Rich.

    Who apparently used to date Carl Palmer at some point.

    Guess it probably didn't end well.

  20. #95
    Oh No! Bass Solo! klothos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    308
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Well, I love Neil but... I differ That felt stiff, robotic and by-the-numbers to me. It felt very basic, he only hit the obvious and rudimentary accents and his swing is mechanical. .
    well, he didn't have the "touch", per se, but that's really just technique of finesse: he sounded like a rock drummer really trying hard to swing. As someone said above: heavy handed. i also didn't like the "lawn sprinkler" tone of the hi-hats....

    As you said, the delivery was a lil mechanical


    However, the thread is about groove. I bopped my head to it so (for me) he was doing something right
    Last edited by klothos; 07-22-2013 at 12:03 AM.

  21. #96
    Member Yodelgoat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,042
    Hehehe! - (after watching ronmacs post) I've never heard a pang cymbal used in big band before - quite cool!

    I've heard crappy hi hats on a lot of older trap kits. Its not all that uncommon. Neil using his hand to close the hats - I haven't seen that before. usually drummers use their feet.
    I got nothin' :dgtest

    ...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

    live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUe3YhCjy6g
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VOCJokzL_s

  22. #97
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,334
    That original blog post is idiotic. I wonder if there's anything else he doesn't like, so I can find out why and perhaps also not like it?
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

  23. #98
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    "Love for Sale"? Buddy Rich Ghost Band? Well, ok then.....



    Incidentally, I always wondered why Carl Palmer was never invited to take part in these ubiquitous Buddy Tribute sessions. He's practically the only cat who Buddy allowed to play his actual drum set. There was a time when Buddy broke his arm or something and was subbed by Roy Haynes for Norman Granz's Jazz at the Philharmonic tour. Roy proceeded to make adjustments to Buddy's drum set, and Buddy blew up at him for daring to make those adjustments.

    Then I remember that these sessions were organized by Buddy's daughter, Cathy Rich.

    Who apparently used to date Carl Palmer at some point.

    Guess it probably didn't end well.
    Ah, Carl. That old smoothie. All in all, it reminds me of a joke that I saw on a prog rock discussion board during the early days of the internet. According to one discussant, ELP is better than Yes because "Carl Palmer 'had' Buddy Rich's daughter. Bill Bruford 'had' Alan White."

    Sorry, couldn't resist...

  24. #99
    Member bp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    on the shore of the Lake Of Shadows
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You bet your ass he can.

    Neil is better here than on the earlier Buddy Rich Tribute. The earlier on lacked much of the essence of what made Buddy great. That being the ability to propel the band, the nuanced ghost notes on the snare that really make the swing live.



    The audio mix on the Rich video isn't as good as Neil's but the playing is the real deal. That said, I don't think that I'd enjoy hearing Rich play with Rush.
    support live music

    Google is your fiend.

  25. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    That said, I don't think that I'd enjoy hearing Rich play with Rush.
    I'm guessing he might have difficulty in his current state.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •