Thread: FEATURED ALBUM: The Pineapple Thief - What We Have Sown

FEATURED ALBUM: The Pineapple Thief - What We Have Sown

Love this album...

Review from ProgArchives (mellotron storm):
    I've been a fan of this band from the beginning and have often felt like a lone wolf on this site crying out their praises. So it's almost shocking to see 45 ratings already for this cd, and with them signing to a bigger label(Snapper) the future looks bright for Bruce and the boys. It doesn't hurt either to have Steven Wilson recommend this album does it ? Bruce sent Steven a copy of this cd before it was released moving Wilson to recommend to Snapper that they sign this band.

"All You Need To Know" opens with mellotron-like waves as strummed guitar and vocals arrive. Drums 1 1/2 minutes in as the sound gets louder. A minute later the electric guitar sounds fantastic as mellotron-like sounds and drums continue. I fell for this song the first time i heard it. "Well, I Think That's What You Said ?" opens with a percussion / violin melody. Vocals are Yorke-like as they arrive a minute in. Guitar 2 minutes in.The drums take over 4 minutes in, and then it ends experimentally. Great track ! "Take Me With You" opens with drums, synths and violin as mournful vocals come in again sounding like Yorke. Guitar 2 1/2 minutes in match the vocals. A spacey interlude 4 minutes in before Bruce comes back vocally with more passion.

"West Winds" opens with spacey sounds. The song gets some structure 2 minutes in as drums and guitar create a slow paced melody. The drums take the lead and dominate 5 1/2 minutes in. Some aggressive guitar joins in over a minute later as it gets intense. It becomes pastoral 8 minutes in to the end. "Deep Blue World" in my mind is a tribute to Bruce's "little man", making it a very emotional track to say the least. Strummed guitar, violin and reserved vocals lead the way, drums come later. Remarkable song. "What We Have Sown" is the over 27 minute finale. It opens with echoes. Yes it does sound like the PINK FLOYD song of the same name. That changes a minute in when heavy drums and a full sound arrive. Cool guitar melody before 3 minutes. A calm 4 1/2 minutes in as echoes are back. Piano a minute later and then waves of synths 6 minutes in with light drums. Vocals for first time 6 1/2 minutes in. This continues until mournful guitar melodies come in before 11 minutes. Piano takes the lead 12 1/2 minutes in before electronics arrive. Drums 15 minutes in as it's building, now guitar is added. Guitar becomes very passionate. Piano and electronics take over again before 20 minutes and drums come in a minute later. Processed vocals after 21 1/2 minutes are brief, although they return again briefly 2 minutes later. A hypnotic beat with electronics continues until the song is over.

Funny but my favourite songs are the 4 shortest tracks on here. Maybe that's because they're more like PINEAPPLE THIEF of old, i don't know. Still this is a solid 4 star album but not one of my favourites from the band.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Thank you! I don't understand why this album never seems to get any love.

In an alternate universe, "All You Need to Know" would have been a hit song.

NP: Cannonball Adderley Somethin' Else

Supposedly a collection of leftover / reworked tracks.

A quite magnificent listen.

Highly recommended over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    I think the Thief in general doesn't get much love. They've got a package of catchy song writing mixed with modern indie rock influences with enough prog cred to get by. Additionally, the have the benefit of being on Kscope, so their exposure has gotten greater since the last few albums. Yet still, most TPT threads sink fast.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Supposedly a collection of leftover / reworked tracks.
    --> and considering this it really is a very good album! I like it more than the last 2 "official" TPT albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Probably because they are not clones of Genesis or Yes then that maybe so on here.

Away from here they are picking up many many positive comments.

My fav of what I have.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

They are a great band! (imo)
    "Life Is Like A Pencil: It gets shorter the longer you use it,
    you can only erase so many mistakes, and ofter it's pointless"

very, very good at Loreley too this weekend I thought, although I didnt see Bruce or band mingling as I wanted to say hello and that I enjoyed their set.

I think the guy who mentioned that they are not Genesis or Yes clones had a point--we find the same with Sanguine Hum too. Certainly the bands that go for that Genesis/Yes kind of sound seem to have more appeal on this particular site and particularly with Americans. Although Steven Wilson or PT are obvious exceptions .

An exceptional album by a top, top band. If you only have the original cyclops release then the Kscope re-mix/re-master is well worth acquiring. Bruce and Steve did an incredible job with all of the re-releases.

I have three of their CDs but not this one. I do agree that their threads sink like a stone which quite unfair given the quality of their work.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I have three of their CDs but not this one. I do agree that their threads sink like a stone which quite unfair given the quality of their work.
    They could be too 'progressive' for a site like this

I don't have this one yet, but I must say that I prefer TPT's acoustic based tunes.

My favourites are Someone Here Is Missing and Little Man. I haven't heard the latest which I really should get. I recently listened to the debut from 1999(I believe) called Abducting The Unicorn which I hadn't spun in years and was surprised at how good it is.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

They could be too 'progressive' for a site like this

Great band! I have 4 or 5 of their albums. I've never bought their EPs, but friends tell me that many songs on those are even better than on their regular records, and I think their albums are fantastic.

What does "too progressive for this site" mean?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Great leftover-album. Though my favourites are Little Man and Variations On A Dream. I'm not that fond of their two latest K-Scope-albums. I think they're too short and too easy to grasp. One of the main attractions of the Pineapple Thief was that you could get lost in their albums and it would all blend together in your mind. Yet it was all brilliant, including all the b-sides. But I guess Kscope is all about concise albums.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    What does "too progressive for this site" mean?
    I think some on here are not as 'open minded' as they profess to be.

If it does not sound like Genesis or Yes then it aint prog.

Progressive, to me, is exactly that. Different to the last album if you like. And for me TPT fall very much into that category.

Progressive, to me, is exactly that. Different to the last album if you like. And for me TPT fall very much into that category.
    Which is why someone like Andy Tillison had to put away Parallel or 90 Degrees, which was a modern sounding and forward looking band that melded prog, punk, electronica, blues, industrial, blues, heavy metal, and space rock, in favor of The Tangent which is more "safe" retro symphonic/jazz prog rock that doesn't offend the so called "progressive rock fans" (I love The Tangent, btw).

Personally, I own "Variations on a Dream", which was the first The Pineapple Thief cd I bought, "10 Stories Down", which is my favorite of all their releases, "Little Man", "Tightly Unwound", and "Someone Here is Missing", all of which are fantastic. They sound modern and have an indie rock crossover appeal too. Maybe they should distance themselves from the "prog" tag so that they can reach a wider audience.

I like The Pineapple Thief but I'dont hear anything particularly progressive ("too progressive"!) in it. To me it sounds like indie rock band which have some prog influences.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    no need to be snarky whenever something you like isn't everyone else's cup of tea - too much music out there that I do like; I'm not going to expend a lot of effort trying to 'like' something just because someone else does

and just because they use a mellotron they're prog? Not that I care if they're prog or not - I did like and still own Someone Here Is Missing and Tightly Unwound, I like them because I like them, not just because I'm suppose to like and support all things prog.

not enough diversity for my money - an album of leftovers but it still sounds like last three or four albums. And would it kill them to break tempo once or twice an album? If I put on an album and every songs sounds the same to my ears, I ain't having a good listen. No need to try harder.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I've acquired several Pineapple Thief albums over the years. However, I have definitely grown tired of the same old sound from them. I listened to excerpts from this album and just felt the same way. Maybe the songs are good, or better than some others, but the whole sound of the group and the vocals especially leave me just tired now.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.