Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Zimmerman verdict: Off Limits here?

Zimmerman verdict: Off Limits here?

Just curious. I imagine a thread here would last about 5 minutes. I'm sure it's on a lot of people's minds though. I was shocked that not one person was talking about it at work today. I don't bring up controversial topics at work, but I do join in when a topic is brought up by someone else.

Man, you've been here long enough to know this shit is just asking for trouble!

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Watching all the idiot thugs in L.A. Roamin the streets and causing damage and trouble. Just saw these idiots beat up a guy on the street. In Oakland same thing is happening. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    I was shocked that not one person was talking about it at work today.
    Same reason that no one's talking about it here: It's dynamite. Old, unstable dynamite, oozing nitroglycerin. Between the racial aspects, Florida's "stand your ground" law, and the verdict, there's nothing but woe to be found in bringing it up.

Yep. It's a powder keg waiting to explode. And it's gotten old already. There's no way this topic can be discussed without bringing up race, politics, etc., etc. It's an old story that's been played out many times already and nothing ever changes. I don't work on Mondays so not sure what I'm walking into today. I'm a state employee so God only knows what the mood will be like. I'm glad that up to now there hasn't been much talk about this case. It's just another racially charged explosion waiting to happen.

I'll let this go for a day or so, and we do appreciate the thought put into wondering if it's appropriate here. But yes, we've just seen too often even well meaning discussions turn to garbage eventually because you can't control everyone who has strong feelings on something.

Usually my first reaction to seeing threads like this is "don't people hang out anywhere else where they can discuss these types of things?" And while that may have been up for debate a few years ago, I think the answer in 2013 is - Yes, there's Facebook. Facebook is perfect for discussions like this and random WOT thoughts like "hey, watch this stupid clip" and "did you know I'm color blind?". And you can have that discussion with many of the people that frequent this forum which begins to make the statement "but I want to know what proggers think of __________" a bit antiquated.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The disconnect between the murder and trial, versus the media portrayal, has been extreme. Florida's "stand your ground" law was never an issue in the trial; it was based purely on self-defense.

There is a saying. "When the law is against you, pound on the facts. When the facts are against you, pound on the law. When they're both against you, pound on the table." The prosecution, and the media, have done a lot of pounding on the table.
    I think the subtext is rapidly becoming text.

Just curious. I imagine posting something guaranteed to inflame people would suit my purposes for about 5 minutes. I'm sure the fact that I like being a troll is on a lot of people's minds though.... I don't bring up controversial topics at work, where I might be fired, but I do like to stir the shit on PE where I know that there are no repercussions.

etc etc etc.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Watching all the idiot thugs in L.A. Roamin the streets and causing damage and trouble. Just saw these idiots beat up a guy on the street. In Oakland same thing is happening. Idiots.
    I don't agree with the verdict at all, but this crap in L.A. (and other places) is beyond stupid.

"There was a verdict in Florida that I don't agree with. Let's break stuff, hurt people, and steal things!"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by MissKittysMom View Post
    The disconnect between the murder and trial, versus the media portrayal, has been extreme. Florida's "stand your ground" law was never an issue in the trial; it was based purely on self-defense.
    It was also about profiling, leading to the question about who was actually defending themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't agree with the verdict at all, but this crap in L.A. (and other places) is beyond stupid.

My take as well.

Most of the people involved anytime something like this happens are there simply being opportunistic (mmm...tv, receiver, jewelry...what else can I use or sell?) rather than truly speaking out about injustice with noble intentions.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Let's just hope a small group of assholes doesn't turn this into a violent movement. The overwhelming majority of protesters are peaceful. A tiny fraction are taking advantage of it. The media can make a difference here by reporting the relatively small scale of the violence.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Let's just hope a small group of assholes doesn't turn this into a violent movement. The overwhelming majority of protesters are peaceful. A tiny fraction are taking advantage of it. The media can make a difference here by reporting the relatively small scale of the violence.
    Or better yet, they can report the large scale of peaceful protesting instead. I have seen on more than one occasion the media acting as though violent protest is some kind of default setting. When the first thing they talk about is whether or not "riots" will break out, they are feeding the stereotype.

The media can make a difference here by reporting the relatively small scale of the violence.
    Or not reporting it all. There's less point in being violent if nobody knows you're doing it. But that's a different topic.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Or not reporting it all. There's less point in being violent if nobody knows you're doing it. But that's a different topic.
    Those who are smashing windows and stealing things are not doing it to be seen on the news.

I think it's their responsibility to report it exactly how it's happening.

I thought that the discussion would be about how the law was applied and whether the justice was done...

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    I thought that the discussion would be about how the law was applied and whether the justice was done...
    It's not quite as simple as that.

It's not quite as simple as that.
    Ok what else is there?

The demonstrations are obvious results of that question being answered differently than what some people anticipated. I am not interested to discuss whether they have right to demonstrate or not.
    I personally would differentiate the rioters from the really concerned people as rioters are IMHO just thugs taking advantage of the situation.

the only problem with this whole case is that only one of the participants is still around to recount the details. certainly there are other sources of evidence, but at the end of the day, the zimmerman team had time to construct their version of events. i don't think trayvon is totally without some blame in this, however nothing can justify the killing. i spoke at length with somebody who watched the entiree trial, from a legal standpoint he understood the not guilty verdict. something doesn;t smell right to me tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Just curious. I imagine a thread here would last about 5 minutes. I'm sure it's on a lot of people's minds though. I was shocked that not one person was talking about it at work today. I don't bring up controversial topics at work, but I do join in when a topic is brought up by someone else.
    Maybe because they're totally embarrassed and ashamed of the way justice is done in some states???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

o ya, no excuse for the after trial bullshit. tho it's certainly understandable when you look at the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    o ya, no excuse for the after trial bullshit. tho it's certainly understandable when you look at the big picture.
    No, it's not. At least, not the assaults and violence.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

you're right. i mean, understandable as in forseeable. and by big picture, i mean historical context and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    you're right. i mean, understandable as in forseeable. and by big picture, i mean historical context and all that.
    the thing that amazes me, it's that the jury was 100% feminine (though I don't know how 'ethnic' it was)... and I'd have expected less partizanship from them...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I predicted the trial would end as it did. Not surprised at all.

I am (somewhat) more shocked at those who "can't believe" it.