Thread: The Laser Show Thas Wasn't

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The Laser Show Thas Wasn't

I live in a town right along the Hudson River, and Saturday night there was this thing set up where they were going to do a laser show across the river - some place that does this had lasers set up, dry ice machines, they'd sold a bunch of balloons with these lights in them that were all going to be released, and the local high school's alumni club had sold the chance to have "messages" projected on the rocks on the other side of the river (the "Palisades"). A ton of people turned out, and it was a big picnic party kind of thing.

Well, for some reason they weren't able to get enought power for the lasers so after everyone waiting around from about 7pm - 9:30pm, they were still not able to make the lasers visible across the river. Bummer! Big anticlimax! They're going to reschedule it for free for the town.

I think there were going to be some wedding proposals and stuff too, so bummer for those people.

I thought at least our one or two resident event DJs might be amused by this.

I remember a similar event in my birthtown, the new town hall was going to be iluminated by 4 big lasers, to absolutley no effect.

In the small town about 20 miles away from that, that I moved to shortly before, you could see strangely moving light spots in the sky.
    The town police complained about hundreds of UFO sighting calls later.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The best outdoor laser show I have seen was on the face of the Grand Coulee Dam in Washington. Far as I know, they do it every summer. Would have been cool to see lasers projected on the Palisades. Too bad it didn't work out.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973