Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great prog-ish covers

Great prog-ish covers

PLEASE don't post a slew of Musical Box note perfect tribute versions. Just one off covers.

Luv it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyYb3yXLhI

Visually a bit disturbing but a great sound.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZJ2Q-1CGmc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFU60rKTJo
    Last edited by PeterG; 07-15-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Okay, obviously that great piano cover of Sound Chaser destined to be on this thread!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    Okay, obviously that great piano cover of Sound Chaser destined to be on this thread!
    Which is exactly why I started this thread. For some strange reason some very good stuff was ending up there. Do people just not bother to read or understand thread titles?

Can't read the clips from work but Glass Hammer did a proggish cover of Dan Fogelberg's 'Longer' on their 'Shadowlands' album. Not as good as GH's own songs, but good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    With a name like that, he would be laughed at in the Netherlands.

Banned

Is this what you had in mind? I posted it on this thread because I felt that a cover this good didn't deserve to be on a thread called " '70s Kitsch At It's Worst".

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Nightwinds -
    Is this what you had in mind?
    Excellent stuff. And I prefer his voice to Gabriel's.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Hayseed Dixie
    Brilliant!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Excellent stuff. And I prefer his voice to Gabriel's.
    For a Canadian, he's sure got the English accent down. Btw, his name is Sandy Singers.

Love that solo piano Soundchaser version!

The 180 G's made a bunch of the most amazing A cappela Cardiacs Covers
    https://soundcloud.com/david-minnick...ardiacs-covers

And how about this one by the Ukelele orchestra of Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The 180 G's made a bunch of the most amazing A cappela Cardiacs Covers
    https://soundcloud.com/david-minnick...ardiacs-covers
    Thanx for that link, my fav is on there: NWV.

And while I'm at it, I'll mention what I think is perhaps the best C cover ever, Sterbus' version of Dirty Boy. In fact so much so that I prefer it to the original. Could almost go in the "better than the original" thread.

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

April Wine - 21st Century Schizoid Man

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

As much as I like the sound of Dire Straits Tunnel of Love as solo piano, it isn't a cover version. I can play Bohemian Rhapsody on a tin whistle that doesn't make it a cover version.

As much as I like the sound of Dire Straits Tunnel of Love as solo piano, it isn't a cover version. I can play Bohemian Rhapsody on a tin whistle that doesn't make it a cover version.
    I, on the other hand, don't care much whether the performance of a rock/pop tune by a non-originator/non-composer ought to be called a cover or a tribute or similar. Both are used etc. And also, it is not always that someone's performance was just to show they can play the instrument -- sometimes people won't even bother to say "cover" or "tribute" or whatever and just simply upload their performance.

Well, there is a big difference between a tribute and a cover. A tribute band plays compositions as close to the original as possible. (The Musical Box, P-Floyd, Status Quiz, Led Zeppagain) Whereas a cover band usually performs its own interpretations of others compositions. A "cover" also refers to known artists recording & releasing other artists' material and with the permission of the original artist. An unknown person on youtube playing a song, sorry but that is not a cover version, especially if it isn't a recorded/released song.

Words have definitions and understood applications for a reason

Well, there is a big difference between a tribute and a cover. A tribute band plays compositions as close to the original as possible. (The Musical Box, P-Floyd, Status Quiz, Led Zeppagain) Whereas a cover band usually performs its own interpretations of others compositions. A "cover" also refers to known artists recording & releasing other artists' material and with the permission of the original artist. An unknown person on youtube playing a song, sorry but that is not a cover version, especially if it isn't a recorded/released song.

Words have definitions and understood applications for a reason

It is quite commonly understood that "cover" is the more generic way, than "tribute", to *simply* communicate the *sole fact* that someone is performing something they didn't write. That's the definition of "cover" in my mind when I use it. I don't have to consider "closeness to original composition" as a factor before being able to just go ahead and spontaneously lazily say "cover" since it's the more generic term --- I don't have to obsess over whether picky people will think I am referring to cover's generic "something the performer didn't write" meaning or cover's "own interpretation of the original version" meaning. "Tribute" communicates as much that the performer is expressing his/her appreciation -- i.e. paying "tribute" -- as "closeness to original version". These are the various versions. Again, I use "cover" lazily in its generic definition since, after all, the common person will not not understand that.

In summary, I'm laid-back and easy-going about music, and I speak that way about it, by default.

I guess that just about wraps up this exchange, hopefully --- cause it's Saturday and I'm going outdoors now. Cheers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Why didn't Genesis play the intro that way in concert?

^^^^^^^
    Afaik it's because all those early years Tony didn't have a piano onstage and he didn't like the way it sounded on the RMI piano. By the time he had the Yamaha electric grand they had dropped the song. I have heard that, but then again maybe it was just a bit of editing to cut to the chase. I doubt the idea of changing it to a nylon guitar occurred to them