Thread: Article "Try Some Prog, Please for Me"

Article "Try Some Prog, Please for Me"

http://www.letoilemagazine.com/2013/...please-for-me/

this guy is from Minnesota and at least in some loose connections, knows/runs with some of the more hip/hipster crowds. But it's an interesting article that more of the prog-haters probably could benefit from reading and may agree with.

I guess he also claims to be the biggest Michael Nesmith fan in Minnesota, but my girlfriend will totally argue with that point. But maybe my favorite part of the article is this:

I've turned my poor wife into a prog rock fan. And she's got *quite* particular taste. I can't just force her to listen to any old damn thing and have her like it; six years into our relationship, and she*still* doesn't love heavy metal, really. But prog rock? Yeah, I've seen her actually put it on the turntable (well, computer) herself. She's proof positive, I think, that if you actually stop and listen to this stuff, you *might* actually like it.

Great article! OK, I didn't like his ELP or Keith Emerson comments, but really he nails it on so many things. I really have always believed prog would have a larger fan base if people gave it a real chance and ignored what is a lot of mis-information or lack of information about the genre.

Karn Evil 9 has no guitar? Sounds like HE needs to go back and listen again....

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Karn Evil 9 has no guitar? Sounds like HE needs to go back and listen again....
    In one of the linked blog posts about Phil Collins, he says that the albums that Genesis made immediately after Gabriel left had "long noodly guitar solos." I'm sorry... WHERE would these solos be? Hackett barely gets to say ANYTHING on Trick and Wuthering's solos last about eight bars at most, if they're there at all.

Good points, but ...

"... [Foxtrot] which has within it “Watcher Of The Skies,” a seriously killer side-long epic ..."

and

"... apart from “20th Century Schizoid Man,” it’s actually quite a pretty record..."

Details, details...
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Good points, but ...

"... [Foxtrot] which has within it “Watcher Of The Skies,” a seriously killer side-long epic ..."

and

"... apart from “20th Century Schizoid Man,” it’s actually quite a pretty record..."

Details, details...
    Maybe he's the lead character from "American Psycho," minus the killing and stuff.

16 years ago when I met my future Wife, she was but a mere causual music listener. Now-a-days, you can easily find Genesis, IQ, Solo Steve Howe and a host of other CD's of mine in her car's CD player. Once at a concert, she correctly identified that the GTR player was using an E-Bow. Even more extraordinary; one day she came home from shopping, heard the music coming from the stereo and asked "Is this Magma?"...actually, I was listening to Eskaton. She was closer to being correct than many of my PROG friends would have been....she's a good little Prog Wife.

I don't think I'll ever get my wife fully over to the prog side, but she does like Marillion, some Genesis, and now Sound of Contact. I brought her to a Stick Men show in March which was "okay, but too much improv." She's very supportive of my podcast, even if she doesn't listen to it.

I had started to get my older son into Rush when he was about 4 or 5, and then he started listening to old 80s new wave (which I also like), and that's when the prog train derailed for him, I think. Maybe the younger one...
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post
    Good points, but ...

....Details, details...
    I get the impression he smokes a lot of weed. And you know what that does for your memory....

"What?"

"What that does for your memory?!!"

"What? Dave's not here, man."

"No, I'M Dave!"

"Who?"

"Dave!"

"Dave's not here, man."

"No, I'M Dave!"

"Who?..........."

But each of those albums have been resurrected by the Classic Rock wave of the 00's and probably more people associated the "singles" from them as such than Prog.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!